Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    WHy is it in Spanish?

Didn't they pass a bill that said English was the official language?
    As far as I am aware: no. As of July, the DMV (in my state) was required to be able to give (written) tests in 21 different languages (including English). No idea about how the driving portion is handled.

Here, the reduction in insurance for taking driver training is negligible. A study done last year showed that (in Ontario), you were 67% more likely to get in an accident if you took driver training than if you didn't. Additionally, only 2% of the population has a demerit point on their license. 6% of that population are driving instructors.

It's a total joke in my area. :/
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

Basically Spike and Ketchup replied for me. So read their responses again for me <3

Start training at 16, by the time your 18 you would have enough driving hours, &experience to know what to do by the time your 18.
    So then, the people who do get their license at 16 are doing...what? forgetting their experience day by day?

edit:
    It won't have a huge effect, but it may have some (if they make the time between passing the law and implementing it short enough). Personal experience says at 15-19, driving aimlessly at night was what summer vacation was for much of the time (then gas got too expensive, as well as job hours), this of course raised demand a bit.

There will always be demand until all vehicles switch over to something else, but the longer people have to wait, my view (sorry, I don't have data on this) is that longer times until a full license will mean less usage (again: slightly, probably nothing significant though).
    Yeah I see what you mean. It's a valid point, since that's all true. I just think it'd be a little silly to factor something so negligible for a new law, that wouldn't really change anything. Y'know?
    Last edited by EphekZ; Sep 20, 2008 at 09:21 PM.
    Call me a safe bet. I'm betting I'm not.
    I'm glad that you can forgive.
    Only hoping as time goes, you can forget.

Quote Originally Posted by EphekZ View Post
    So then, the people who do get their license at 16 are doing...what? forgetting their experience day by day?
    I don't follow your logic...

But;

They would PRACTICE. <By 18 they would know enough.> hopefully to get their license.

PRACTICE.

Practice makes perfect?

How would they forget if they're practicing...

My point is that you're getting practice while having your license too. They'll probably have a lot better experience the earlier they get it as they can practice more on their own time, than have to use a parent.

Either way they're getting practice. However, the only time people are like "hay teens sux at driving" is when there's an accident. Even though if someone 2x their age does something equally as stupid no one gets pissed. Well, except the person who's liable

16 with a license or 18 with practice, there will be those idiots who fit into the teen stereotype while people blissfully ignore the real problem; people are just stupid.

You get your license at 18.

16 you get authorized to practice driving.

Woosh.

Raising the age limit wouldn't do a damn thing, Leviathan, besides prove to be a massive inconvenience (especially for the 17-year-old college freshmen out there, like my roommate was).

Now actually punishing offenders beyond a cheap fine and a slap on the wrist? You know, as in reducing the number of offenses you can commit without permanently losing your license? That would have a bit more of an effect (granted, not that much - and there would be a lot more people without licenses on the roads simply because of how far people here in the States tend to live from their place of work, combined with our almost complete lack of any form of public transportation service).

(Also - school buses? Psh. That's almost bad enough to qualify as torture. Soon as I got keys to the house, I started walking, come rain or snow. Now for the unfortunate kids who lived outside of town, I can understand the reason for the existence of the buses...)

EDIT: The point everyone here's been trying to make to you, Levi, is that age =/= experience; rather, age equates to the opportunity to have gained experience. Quick learners, however, should not be forced to wait because some idiot isn't responsible enough at 16 (and, surprise surprise, still won't be at 18, or 21, or 30, or even friggin' 70)...
    Last edited by rogue_robot; Sep 22, 2008 at 07:04 PM.

most idiots are not responsible at 70.......

Corruption detected in trainer card