Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Keeping the RPG (stat system) simple.

In many RPGs (Ex. PSU, Star Ocean 3 these two stick out prominently at the moment ^__^) the numbers on the status screen don't match the numbers that you do in game.
    I've wondered quite a few times why developers do this.

Instead of having to factor in other numbers to figure out what you do in-game, I think developers should just keep it simple.

For example, the hero has 500 attack points and the enemy has 250 defense.
    When the hero hits the enemy he deals 250 damage points.
    Why, because the hero's attack points minus the enemy's defense equals 250 damage.

Another example for accuracy and evasion.
    The hero has 100 accuracy and the enemy has 25 evasion.
    Since the hero has 100 accuracy he has a 75% chance of hitting the enemy.
    Why, because 25 is 25% of 100 which means the enemy has a 25% chance to dodge while the hero has a 75% chance to hit.

I just think it would make RPG stat calculation and gameplay (number wise) easier to understand, instead of wondering why your character is doing 55,000 with only 20 attack points (major exaggeration, I know).
    If we all share the same sky,
    Why not make life better for everyone under it?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

This isn't Yugioh. It's much more complex than that. You should see the equations for damage dealing on PSO. A good amount of math is involved.

In most RPGs those stats are arbitrary numbers. Your HP, Attack, and Magic Attack stats are the only ones that really matter.
    Its more about who has the strongest weapon and whatnot.

To expand a bit on PSO/PSU you had enemy type and element resistances/weaknesses as well as weapon types. RPGs can be very complex in gameplay and what you are talking about are probably what you would see in much older games where such variables didn't yet exist.

I have to pretty much agree with the OP. If they'd keep things simpler, they might find that it becomes a lot easier to balance things out - numerically, as opposed to the usual shotgun approach of what "feels" right (and inevitably isn't) - and when adjustments do need to be made, they won't be stuck freaking out about how many things making said change might also affect, as with everything being simpler, it's gonna be quite a good deal easier to tell.

Of course, it's hard to make an RPG's stat system simple without closing off a lot of potential creative aspects and ending up with something bland - and they just don't have the time for that, what with deadlines and all.

In this vain, am I the only one that gets irked when RPGs have to have GIGANTIC NUMBERS all of the time.

I don't want to be hitting for thousands of damage at level 3. That means I'm going to have to be keeping track of way too many fucking zeros by level 30.

Paper Mario did that shit RIGHT.

AKA the Unbelievable Batmobile UnderscoreX's Avatar

Imagine fighting optional bosses like Yiazmat from FFXII who has over 50 million HP, your attack stat would either have to be in the 10's of thousands or you'd be there all week.

Not to say that particular fight takes less than an hour anyways... stupid Yiazmat.
    My better is better than your better.

Bust out with some Madou Monogatari

I don' need no numbers, never did me no good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Vordex View Post
    This isn't Yugioh. It's much more complex than that. You should see the equations for damage dealing on PSO. A good amount of math is involved.
    You should see all of the calculations used in Final Fantasy XI.

Compared to it, things like PSO are pretty simple...

But if you want simplicity in your RPG's numbers, go play WoW. Seriously. It has one of the most straight-forward systems for calculating what goes on in battle. :/

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Vordex View Post
    Is it necessary though to have to factor in all those other numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadthroat View Post
    In most RPGs those stats are arbitrary numbers. Your HP, Attack, and Magic Attack stats are the only ones that really matter.
    Its more about who has the strongest weapon and whatnot.
    If they simplified the stat system it might bring about more challenge for the RPG, instead of having to rely on those stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkommando View Post
    To expand a bit on PSO/PSU you had enemy type and element resistances/weaknesses as well as weapon types. RPGs can be very complex in gameplay and what you are talking about are probably what you would see in much older games where such variables didn't yet exist.
    I'm talking about base stats before any thing is added to them (buffs, weapon power, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by UnderscoreX View Post
    Imagine fighting optional bosses like Yiazmat from FFXII who has over 50 million HP, your attack stat would either have to be in the 10's of thousands or you'd be there all week.

Not to say that particular fight takes less than an hour anyways... stupid Yiazmat.
    Balance LOL, and see my post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    You should see all of the calculations used in Final Fantasy XI.

Compared to it, things like PSO are pretty simple...

But if you want simplicity in your RPG's numbers, go play WoW. Seriously. It has one of the most straight-forward systems for calculating what goes on in battle. :/
    I wasn't aware of that.
    Last edited by Ryosuke_Kura; Sep 23, 2008 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Added a quote.
    If we all share the same sky,
    Why not make life better for everyone under it?