Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

As probably the closest thing to an "elitist" as there is on the Ps2/PC server I feel I should chime in on this topic. Now yes there are plenty of people who strive to have the best gear possible or have the best times or be the best at any certain thing. For the most part on either server that I'v seen no one looks at your pallete and goes "50%s or you suck". Yes I can get overboard and gloat about my gear or even sometimes put people down for their gear. Not really putting people down but, it comes across as that sometimes. I personally understand people who play the game just for fun and don't care about gear. I understand that and get it, I love doing random runs just for fun. Although there is absolutely nothing wrong with people trying to complete missions the fastest they possibly can. I haven't played a whole ton on 360 yet but even there it doesn't seem like you'd get booted for having weaker gear. I believe the thing that makes the "elitists" angry is the other people who generalize them and make them out to be the bad guy for having good gear. I absolutely hate it when people look at my pallete and assume I can't be helpfull. Or people hear some rumor that I'm just some elitist asshole who will put everyone down. If you take the time to give them a shot I expect you to come to a different conclusion. There are probably people out there who do harass you and or boot you for having weaker gear than them. If that happens Blacklist them and move on because those people probably aren't looked highly upon by the true elites of the game.

See now i knew this would happen, to make it clearer i avoided this but i may as well address it, striving to be elite and being an ELITEST are completely different things. I cant remember where i saw it but theres a quote from a famous dancer saying "i did not want to intimidate my audiance, i wish my dancing not to be elitest, but do not mistake me, i did strive for exelence" or somthing to that effect, Elitism is bad, it is an idea that because someone has better things they think they are better, not even concerned with what those less than them can contribute, Just that they are better and end of story to them. So instead of judging a person in how they perform or their personality they frown upon gear, again it happens to me, i do enough damage, but when i stop in to see someone i havent seen in a while, then almost instantly they say "whats wrong with your pallet?" well nothing is wrong as far as im concerned but ofcourse i ask them what they mean and the response is "its all broken, badly, you should be doing much better" so now im sitting here, wanting to have a friendly conversation and all i get is insulted for the amount of money i spend and the gear i use. That is elitism by elitests, It is true an Elite is someone who strives to be the best at what they do, but does not condemn others if their best isnt on the same level, as said before by another poster, they make use of all resources, including other players in mission.

i dont call someone with a high end maxed pallet an elitest, i would call them elite, not elitist, they both root in the word elite, but have very different meanings. So next time someone tells you your gear is bad because they have better, then you know they are elitests. If they have better gear, go ahead and envy them, i know i do on some level, dont attack them.

Edit: Oh and i got cut off with my points that iforgot to say it, glad to see some of the upper level players chiming in, glad to hear it, also some of the people here have some very nice gear! Good on ya!
    Last edited by Maelstrom 180; Sep 28, 2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: got carried away and needed to add somthing nice

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom 180 View Post
    See now i knew this would happen, to make it clearer i avoided this but i may as well address it, striving to be elite and being an ELITEST are completely different things. I cant remember where i saw it but theres a quote from a famous dancer saying "i did not want to intimidate my audiance, i wish my dancing not to be elitest, but do not mistake me, i did strive for exelence" or somthing to that effect, Elitism is bad, it is an idea that because someone has better things they think they are better, not even concerned with what those less than them can contribute, Just that they are better and end of story to them. So instead of judging a person in how they perform or their personality they frown upon gear, again it happens to me, i do enough damage, but when i stop in to see someone i havent seen in a while, then almost instantly they say "whats wrong with your pallet?" well nothing is wrong as far as im concerned but ofcourse i ask them what they mean and the response is "its all broken, badly, you should be doing much better" so now im sitting here, wanting to have a friendly conversation and all i get is insulted for the amount of money i spend and the gear i use. That is elitism by elitests, It is true an Elite is someone who strives to be the best at what they do, but does not condemn others if their best isnt on the same level, as said before by another poster, they make use of all resources, including other players in mission.

i dont call someone with a high end maxed pallet an elitest, i would call them elite, not elitist, they both root in the word elite, but have very different meanings. So next time someone tells you your gear is bad because they have better, then you know they are elitests. If they have better gear, go ahead and envy them, i know i do on some level, dont attack them.

Edit: Oh and i got cut off with my points that iforgot to say it, glad to see some of the upper level players chiming in, glad to hear it, also some of the people here have some very nice gear! Good on ya!

Oh I understand your post but in general people assume everyone with big time palletes are jerks. Which was more what my post was directed towards.

Rehabbed SEGAholic

What's interesting is that the 'elitists' are rarely the jerks; it is the players that are jealous of their equipment that have the poor attitudes towards them.

Elitism is the belief that some people or things are inherently superior to others and deserve preeminence, preferential treatment, or higher rewards because of their superiority.
    That doesn't sound like anyone I have ever met before. I think many people are quick to assume people are elitists by mistake or ignorance. Even if a person perfers perfect weapons and likes to time attack missions DOES NOT make them an elitist, and neither does someone making fun of somone for having common or weak items. I don't think you had an encounter with an elitist. You had an encounter with an internet bully I guess.

I doubt there are more than maybe even a few true elitists across the servers. Who doesn't pick fun at others every once in a while? How you handle it shows how mature you are. You didn't meet an elitist. Get over it.
    Last edited by Shou; Sep 28, 2009 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shou View Post
    Elitism is the belief that some people or things are inherently superior to others and deserve preeminence, preferential treatment, or higher rewards because of their superiority.
    That doesn't sound like anyone I have ever met before. I think many people are quick to assume people are elitists by mistake or ignorance. Even if a person perfers perfect weapons and likes to time attack missions DOES NOT make them an elitist, and neither does someone making fun of somone for having common or weak items. I don't think you had an encounter with an elitist. You had an encounter with an internet bully I guess.

I doubt there are more than maybe even a few true elitists across the servers. Who doesn't pick fun at others every once in a while? How you handle it shows how mature you are. You didn't meet an elitist. Get over it.
    *Raises Hand*

I don't....because I am used to teaching and helping players. I don't like to discourage them....constructive criticism or tough love goes a long way as well. I am very used to throwing tactics into games and group coordination when working on strategy.

I don't like to put people down. I figure everyone out there including me will make mistakes, but for all you know I can be the one making the mistake if I see a strange pallet and find that it really comes together on the field as Ive seen and used many times...

If you want to judge something, judge the results and not the pallet....just because you have 10/10 grinds and max PAs...doesn't mean the player who has one or two max PAs and a poorly grinded weapon is not smarter than you.
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

Picking fun and insulting someone are different, and i pulled a 2 line quote from the conversation, but you can make your own opinions on who i met, the point is still valid that in more cases than not players with less valuable weapons are not the agressors but the victims of discrimination over weapons in a videogame. Do i feel i hate the person? Nope but the fact still stands that they did indeed feel they were better than me because they had "pretty unbroken weapons" and as a matter of fact the last thing said before i left their room was "im better than you, deal with it"and while that may not in itself make that person an elitest, that is elitest behavior. But then again on this forum it seems you live to contradict. Im not sure what server you are on but i fairly regularly whitness groups of players who feel they are better than others picking on people in lobbies and in parties. The point isnt in the word itself anyway its in the result, and rather than you supporting players for being proud and getting together to share their experiances and their favorite equipment, you just show cold irritation in the matter, if you think youve got a problem with us being flustered due to frequent harassment over equipment, then make your own thread and move on because it seems like you just want to defend elitists. Now let me point somthing out for the 50th time and i hope all of you support me in this.

HAVING 10/10 50% WEAPONS AND ARMOR AND TIME ATTACKING DOES NOT MAKE SOMEONE AN ELITIST AND IT NEVER WILL. AN ELISTIST IS ONE WHO FEELS THEY ARE BETTER THAN ANOTHER PLAYER IN TERMS OF PSU BY HAVING MORE MONEY AND BETTER GEAR AND HARASS OTHER PLAYERS.

There, now please eqeryone support me when i say this, i have a friend who is running around with 9/9 and 10/10 weapons and 46% weapons and armor, theyre a good friend , but they also have openly admitted they dont see much difference from a 10/10 and a 7/7 of the same weapon (with exceptions ofcourse) and sure i envy them, but i am happy with my gear. So please support me, anyone else wandering from the topic to say we are incorrectly using the word i already defined previously which seemed to be ignored by others already, to just ignore them, they are missing the point and if you want me to change the topic name to weapon nazis ir "internet bully" or maybe "we hate those peoples who pick on out weapons" i will, but just please stay on topic and just share stories and gear so we can feel proud not like leppers for disliking "equipment nazis" okay then?

The one thing everyone in this forum has failed to mention in not just this thread but in years of actually reading this forum as I've seen many posts but was not registered....is that even in the PSO days people were stuck in the way of DAMAGE.

No one took the time to realize that damage is just a number that relates to health (health vs anti-health) and health/damage = number of hits (if one single target PA) or number of attacks (multihit PAs).

The idea is to keep grinding, using buffs and get higher elemental %s and PA levels to reduce the total number of hits to as low as possible to kill the enemy, but also in the lowest time possible to prevent enemies from launching their attacks. The time between attacks varies from enemies. This means LOGICALLY that your timing will be different for each fight..

Its not about the overall time, but what you do per battle that counts.

Once you reduce your total number of hits (or attacks) to three...In order to actually reduce your number of hits by one, you will need to increase your output by 50%.

3/1 = 3 (normal)
    3/1.5 = 2 (output + 50%)

The increase is relevant if it will prevent an attack from occuring, irrelevent if the enemy is so slow that you have time to make every hit to kill it.

If your grinds and percentages + buffs can't set up to reduce number of hits/attacks further...then that is the limit of their growth against that enemy....and if the enemy requires too many hits enough that increasing to take less hits to kill in enemy will not grant you any better timing...then the grind is equally useless since the result it produces is minimal and hardly noticed at all...

Everyone talks damage...but part of formulating tactics into strategy and group efforts is not just knowing the limit of your enemy, but knowing your own limits as well.

Maybe it feels great having a 10/10 50% weapon, but do you know your weapon and its potential well enough to believe that you actually deserve that weapon?
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

See my thing is this...I don't give a crap what you have on your palette. I'm not jealoius just because some dude has say...a better, much stronger Rod than Cynica Thomas. As long as you can do your part in the mission, and even help others defeat enemies, not to mention have some decent skills...then that's all I care about.

I can't help it if I run into eletists who are mostly jackasses!!