Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

83 72.81%
  • No

31 27.19%
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
    Champions is a bad example, their failures were due to a lot of circumstances. I was playing the game back in it's Alpha stage and was very hyped for it, so I know it's long history from being Marvel Universe Online to it's unfortunate decay and fall.
    Champions Online did not fail as a game. Quite the contrary, post-F2P conversion it's got a very healthy player count and quite the steady income.

It's the PvP that's essentially dead atm.

I think DCUO is a much better example of how PvP can be streamlined into a fun and casual experience enjoyed by all.

PSO2 is also not an MMO and is more akin to a game like Guild Wars, which has a lot of focus on PvP and is a very popular franchise with a sequel on the way.
    Perhaps, but again, both of these were built for PvP from the very beginning. In fact, PvP was a huge part of DCUO's pre-release demoes. I really doubt we'll be seeing anything close to the same thing from PSO2. I will be most surprised if we see any PvP footage at all.

Don't want to get too involved here.. but since it's obvious that WoW was referenced, BGs are basically all a lot of players do at end game, even the super casual ones. In fact casual players are more likely to throw themselves into a PvP scenario than to get all geared up and number-crunched over a pinpoint choreographed heroic raid (or I guess in our case, "C-Mode").
    This is a useless tack. My word against your's can only go nowhere.

Actually, I regret even bringing WoW up, as it is exempt from monetary concerns with its millions of players, allowing its dev team to largely do whatever the hell they want. There are only three other known P2P mmos with player counts in the millions: Aion, Lineage, and Lineage II (yup, all NCSoft games). Interestingly enough, those games are built with PvP in mind from the very beginning - it is NOT tacked on in any sense of the phrase.

I think Sonic Team should stick to its guns and focus on doing what the game does best. If they can do that, they will most assuredly see a high level of success.

(And to no one's great surprise, the only other MMOs with millions of players are all F2P with cash shops. Pretty sure we don't want PSO2 going down that road.)

DCUO is probably the only console MMO (post FF11) that ever 'worked' and the PvP is very healthy there.
    It's also got one of the fastest-shrinking player bases of any MMO in recent history, and also famed for lacking PvE content.

Not the best example, IMO.

I didn't think anybody here was asking for hardcore PvP. How is that even possible in a game that has no overworld like PSO2?
    Open world PvP =/= "hardcore" PvP.

I'm not even sure why you leapt at that. A game that is entirely lobby-based isn't automatically ruled out of the "hardcore" race (DOTA/Heroes of Newerth especially come to mind here).

I think we just want to see some resources and time go into the option. BGs are very, very popular. PSO2 also seems like a 'twitchy' action game, and shouldn't really follow the MMO rules of coloress number crunching and 'DPS'. In fact I can see a lot of people just looking at the RA's crosshairs and going 'Hey, where's the PVP?'.

As far as this community is concerned, the poll speaks for itself, and in all my years of lurking PSO-World the very last thing I would call this crowd is 'hardcore PvPers'.
    See above comment about the veracity of this poll.

I can certainly understand the first point. The game has potential in that department. However, I think a lot of this hopefulness is extremely silly given that we haven't even seen anywhere near enough of the game's PvE content as it is. The game has a LONG way to go before PvP can be looked at in any serious measure.

I would not mind at all if PvP were looked at seriously as post-launch content. At that level, it would get more of the attention it really needs to be a worthwhile addition to the game, and not something that's just tacked-on for the hell of it. I really can't understand the mindset that "something is better than nothing" - if that something is really awful, and leaves you wishing it either never came to be or actually got something more than token development time, is that really better than simply not having it?

I experienced tacked-on PvP in Champions Online, and that only left a seriously bitter taste in my mouth for what could have been. For months upon months the rather puny PvP community clamored for at least basic fixes to playability issues, especially with certain powers or items that made any sort of competition essentially pointless. They eventually got around to making it at least work, but it was only part of a much larger overhaul that touched nearly all of the game's systems. By that point the PvP community largely didn't exist.

I don't understand what a lot of you folks are asking for. I get the impression that, despite your words here, if they did add it and it was half-assed, you would be out there bitching with the rest of us. So why settle? What is the point? If the PvP community is dead, why even have the PvP modes in the first place? I just don't get it.
    Last edited by Zyrusticae; Jul 21, 2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: missed a spot (didn't make sense without context)

So what it boils down to is that you don't think PvP can be successful in a game unless it was intended from the get-go?

I agree, it definitely helps.

Then again, we really don't know what the developers have planned for PSO2. It's obvious they're taking a different approach by having it be PC-only, which is pretty much all we really know about the game aside from speculation about the combat system.

For all we know they could have a consultant telling them the importance of some type of competitive play at launch, but again, this is all speculation.

Ive seen a few MMOs with pvp it seems like it effects the equipment as well as breeds certain types of players. Somethings ive seen is gear/equipment that is designed to excel in pvp rather than versus the mobs. And inversely equipment designed to damage monsters. It always seems to split the players into either PVm or PVP. Either way it would be an interesting addition.

PSO2 JP Ship 2 Block ?? IGN MWF
    GU/RAcast

Man can someone just lock this already. Here i am trying to turn over a new leaf with things, and this here thread just....

in my opinion, it'd be great to allow duels to test each others skill against other players, but what I don't want is other players killing you like on World of Warcraft lol

Yeah, I think PVP Battlegrounds are a fine idea and I enjoyed PVP every other game I played. It adds a lot of replayability and diversion from PVE.

Forced PVP is a different matter though.

"Of their own accord" Enforcer MKV's Avatar
    Somewhere, being an old man again, apparently.

I'm gonna be in the minority here, but I'm gonna say no here. It just doesn't.....fit. I know that's a little awkward sounding, but throughout my entire time playing PSU (I know it's not the same, but it's what I have to go off of.) never once did I have PVP cross my mind. PVP just doesn't lend itself to that style of game. It's focused on doing things together against invading forces, not fighting each other. I think adding a PVP mode would only detract from the whole idea of the PS games, don'tcha think?
    Enforcer MkX [TE/RA]: Critically injured
    Violet MkV [BR/HU]: On active duty

My answer: Maybe.

Reasons: Well, I've never seen Phantasy Star as a PvP-esque game. I have read alot about PSP2 and its battle mode, but I dunno, would be a nice extra to have I guess. It would ultimately depend on how it's handled. If it's fair and decently balanced, I will give it a try, otherwise I won't bother. Seen enough unbalanced PvP in the many free MMO's I've been going through.
    Waiting for Phantasy Star Online 2.~

Obnoxious Little Frog Malachite's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer MKV View Post
    I'm gonna be in the minority here, but I'm gonna say no here. It just doesn't.....fit. I know that's a little awkward sounding, but throughout my entire time playing PSU (I know it's not the same, but it's what I have to go off of.) never once did I have PVP cross my mind. PVP just doesn't lend itself to that style of game. It's focused on doing things together against invading forces, not fighting each other. I think adding a PVP mode would only detract from the whole idea of the PS games, don'tcha think?
    You do know all revisions of PSO had battle mode, right? If the only PS game you've played is PSU... please don't speak of the 'idea' of Phantasy Star games, because PSU butchered just about every idea that made PS what it is, lol. So no, I don't think.

I think it'd be awesome, with this new combat engine, to fight another player. It'd just be an awesome looking fight.

4v4 battles could be interesting...