Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: PSO2 vs PSO

Psychotic Asian Goth Girl [Ayumi]'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shinnomura View Post
    I enjoyed maple story when it first came out because it was challenging and you could fight things well above your level of you could dodge around and take your time, it's how I leveled so fast in it.
    Also liked la tale which is similar but in my opinion a lot better than even original maple story. The other two were shin megami tensei imagine and mabinogi, which are the same sort of game focused more on your character's skills than level, your skills level up through usage instead of a normal point system and both games are really challenging solo so I had a lot of fun. Other than that all other mmos felt disappointing
    Completely forgot Maple Story. I played that for a short time too. Really enjoyed it until I was passing through an area with someone who was hacking/botting/magnetting/pulling(whatever it's called... don't know) enemies towards him and just farming drops and exp and from what it seems was me and a few others were trying to run past the area quick to not get caught up in the mess and supposedly someone tried to screenshot the guy to report him...
    ...and I guess had fucked up timing as it probably looked like I was the one botting.
    Got I think a 2 week or so ban for nothing.
    During those 2 weeks I went and played something else so I lost interest in ever going back to it.

They redid it completely now where there is no challenge, if you can manage to hit an enemy it takes no time to kill them, that's how they keep people in their appropriate areas now, they make it where you can't hit or damage high level bosses that would be an actual challenge.
    The above statement is my own personal opinion and is not meant to offend, insult, or belittle the recipient. Thank you for understanding

Oh, I played one other for a bit, wizardry online. It was supposed to be the hardest mmo at the time with permadeath and accurate blocking/dodging, but the permadeath was downplayed where you were very unlikely to lose a character and it wasn't a complete restart to make a new one. It also limited what you could fight to a degree, if I remember right you had to complete missions that didn't become available until you were the appropriate level, and the quests you got weren't much of a challenge.
    The above statement is my own personal opinion and is not meant to offend, insult, or belittle the recipient. Thank you for understanding

Quote Originally Posted by Keilyn View Post
    Are you a leading Authority on MMORPGs? The answer is No... as you are not even a developer. Where do you truly define what an MMORPG is? I've played them and competed in them. I am an MMORPG Gamer...and I don't act like a leading authority on them because I am not a developer.

Anet declared GW1 as a CORPG, and then players in their stupidity compared it to MMORPG. SEGA calls PSO-2 an "Online RPG" and players compare it MMORPG. Simply put...players are the ones who expect demands to reach to the preferred genre of their choice without acknowledging the declared developer's Genre.

Do not dare to compare 12 people in EQs that don't give you beyond a single major objective per map...

to

Having to guide and lead over 100 players in zone-wide events, each player either alone or in parties... while simultaneously fighting world bosses and coordinating efforts through my 100-slot TeamSpeak Server. There are times where there are more monsters on-screen than players.

..and seriously,

Unlike PSO-2 where one sneezes on a monster and it dies, while in the games I play.. the monsters are at the same level of the characters and if not careful, a single veteran to legendary mob can finish an entire party....

yeah, sometimes in PSO-2 we see maybe 3 - 5 people dead on the floor.....while its common to see 40 - 50+ people dead on the floor when we fail in MMORPGs.
    I don't need to be an authority to know facts. I don't need to be a developer to know what a game type is. An MMORPG is clearly defined in its name. It involves a lot of people playing on at one time. Saying nothing for how many exactly, nor where they all have to be, nor what they are doing, nor what they can do other then the RPG part. Which doesn't involve even half of that you consider an MMORPG.

I also consider myself an MMORPGer. Difference is I can see that there are different styles to games that evolve in time and not live in the idea that games never change.
    It doesn't matter what the developer calls it. If a baker makes bread and calls it a baguette it is still bread. Bad analogy but this conversation is like talking to an old man listing to a "back in my day" story.

It's clear you're hung up on the past about how a game should be. Yeah, I remember being on Ventrillo with my guild of 200+ members in mass PvP sieges in Warhammer and Aion leaving hundreds dead in our path but that has NOTHING to do with PSO2 and it's style of MMORPG. PSO2 is clearly aimed at a casual PvE audience with a completely different mindset then that you want to compare it to.

Just because PSO2 is an MMORPG doesn't take away the good point of an open world game and it features but to deny it based on the idea of "MMORPGs were better back in my day" isn't fair for what good things PSO2 does bring to the table but it's clear you're obviously bias so I ain't expecting you to see.
    Last edited by otakun; May 21, 2016 at 04:45 AM.

Is PSO2 claimed as an MMO by the dev? MMO is a term coined for marketing effort, though. So, it really depends on what they claim.

I haven't looked myself but everyone talking about what the company calls it said no, and I would assume the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ View Post
    Is PSO2 claimed as an MMO by the dev? MMO is a term coined for marketing effort, though. So, it really depends on what they claim.
    They call it "Online Action RPG" and "Online RPG".
    PSO2 Details: Ship 02 || Sirius-91 Cast || Lacey-458 Caseal || Team: ChibiRoar!

Quote Originally Posted by Xerenia View Post
    Oh no! What am i going to do, this was my whole entire life, and now it's going to be gone. :C Guess i'll just go and troll other proxies. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PSO and PSO2 are apples and oranges. Original PSO was more of a Diablo-esque experience. PSO2 and by extension PSU (since they're based on the same engine and all) are closer to an MMO, but in the Vindictus/Mabinogi Heroes way rather than the WoW way.

Quote Originally Posted by [Ayumi] View Post
    They could always be modified.

Delsabers were modified in PSU to be a little slower and such while still being quite powerful.

Belras who used to be slow moving statue-like creatures... when I saw one run at me in PSP2/PSP2i for the 1st time I was like "THE HELL KIND OF SORCERY IS THIS?! TOO FAST! TOO FAAAAAAAAAAAST!"
    In same PSP2/PSP2i, Debilters were still scary as fuck when we have more movement than we did in PSO.

We have "centaur" creatures in PSO2 which while aren't Chaos Bringers can be very threatening with their range, speed, and movements.
    Can almost even say that Loser/Magatsu is almost like newer versions of Falz/Flow as well... except phase 2 Magatsu we don't fight on feet.
    That is true. Kuron does carry quite a bit of danger (when soloing anyway).
    PSO2 Ship 6
    HacksawJimcuttn - HU 75 | FI 75 | RA 75 | GU 75 | FO 75 | TE 75 | BR 75 | BO 75 | SU x

Queso - RA/HU

Quote Originally Posted by otakun View Post
    I don't need to be an authority to know facts. I don't need to be a developer to know what a game type is. An MMORPG is clearly defined in its name. It involves a lot of people playing on at one time. Saying nothing for how many exactly, nor where they all have to be, nor what they are doing, nor what they can do other then the RPG part. Which doesn't involve even half of that you consider an MMORPG.

I also consider myself an MMORPGer. Difference is I can see that there are different styles to games that evolve in time and not live in the idea that games never change.
    It doesn't matter what the developer calls it. If a baker makes bread and calls it a baguette it is still bread. Bad analogy but this conversation is like talking to an old man listing to a "back in my day" story.

It's clear you're hung up on the past about how a game should be. Yeah, I remember being on Ventrillo with my guild of 200+ members in mass PvP sieges in Warhammer and Aion leaving hundreds dead in our path but that has NOTHING to do with PSO2 and it's style of MMORPG. PSO2 is clearly aimed at a casual PvE audience with a completely different mindset then that you want to compare it to.

Just because PSO2 is an MMORPG doesn't take away the good point of an open world game and it features but to deny it based on the idea of "MMORPGs were better back in my day" isn't fair for what good things PSO2 does bring to the table but it's clear you're obviously bias so I ain't expecting you to see.
    You like Facts?
    SEGA does not call PSO-2 an MMORPG.
    Completely voiding your argument....

PSO-2 is a unique game, with a unique population...because we are importers to the game. We deal with morality, ethics, and even legal issues in a gray area to even play this game...Setting us apart from many other populations..

Comparing a Unique Population (PSO2) that plays a Unique Game (PSO2) to a General Population (MMORPG)....

Makes no sense, as even in 2001... PSO-1 was not an MMORPG either. Neither was PSU... Now you think by some magical sense that PSO-2 is an MMORPG when SEGA declared it was not, or could it be that you are biased in believing that in order for an RPG to be good it must be classified as an MMORPG in order to make you feel good and secure?

You accuse me of being biased..
    Guess what!
    All human beings have biases in them.. so yes.. I am biased. Are you trying to act like you are not? In that being said, I guess if you are going to act shocked that I have a bias, it seems you do not understand the rules to argument or persuasive writing. It makes me wonder if you have ever published any article under your name that has survived peer review...

--------------------------------------------------------

@NightfallG

I've often heard people saying "Apples to Oranges" and it makes me wonder....representing how different two things are even when:

Apples and Oranges are both:
    ----------------------------------------
    ~Fruit
    ~Have seeds inside
    ~Grown in trees
    ~Grown under the same climate conditions
    ~Require the similar levels of humidity
    ~Watery beyond the skin
    ~Require similar time to grow
    ~Have similar sizes and shapes
    ~Can be mashed and used in recipes
    ~Can be made into Juice
    ~Are healthy for you, providing vitamin C

The one major difference to apples and oranges (which I understand why it came to be at the genetic level), is that all apples have edible skin, while Oranges have a good amount of Vitamin C, and Apples have an Abysmal amount of vitamin C.

Pardon me for nitpicking.
    Not trying to make you look bad..

I just cook a lot and I love fruits and vegetables. Though I love Apples and Oranges, I know there are fruits and vegetables that beat them both.... but it doesn't make me like either one any less.

I grew up on Strawberries, Peaches... and a certain berry called "Acerola" where having 2 of those berries = a full day supply of vitamin C.
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"