Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

A whole side of my ancestory had a guy murder over 25 chinese in Nanjing.

Or so... my grandmother told me.

As far as other military history goes... my father is a B.Gen in the Marine Corps.

I wish to fuck my great Uncle's journal was on the internet (or that it was over here and not at my Grandparents' right now)...

He was in a paratrooper division and every day he wrote what happened on the back of cigarette packs. When he got back his sister published it into a journal---it's a really sweet read.

He broke his back from paratrooping on his initial land---and didn't have it fixed or even looked at until after he went home from the war, and when he landed and knew it happened he crawled through enemy territory with just his sidearm.

And I'm not joking, I wish his journal was published online.

Out of his unit, only him and one other person lived, and if I remember right the other guy who lived was a banged up amputee. He went really in depth when one of his friends in the unit died beside him.

Maybe I'll go get it today or sometime and post part of it up.

Their entire family was really involved in the military---his brother was in the CIA and apparently was doing his own shady business during his time, and he wasn't a fat white dude behind a desk either.

My grandfather fought in World War II. He got at least two purple hearts (he always told us about when he was shot and showed us the scars) and he either a) received a bronze star and a letter of recognition stating that he was entitled to a silver star or b) the same thing, but with a silver star and gold star. I can never remember that.

Of course, my grandfather's proudest moment was when he cooked a huge spaghetti dinner for General Patton while they were in (I believe) an occupied French village. Always loved to tell us that one.

I'm a direct descendant of King Ludwig II of Bavaria aka Crazy King Ludwig. They guy who built Neuschwanstein, that fairy tail castle? Yup.

I Dream Of Sleep

Im a bit shakey on the details, but if I remember correctly my Great Grand father on my Dads side of the family was at the Battle of the River Plate. I dont have the full details, I just remember my Dad telling me about it once.

I know my Mums Dad was in the RAF, but this was just after the war. Had soem interesting stories to tell me when I was home last, mostly about his charismatic exploits during some field training. He 'accidently' took command of a small group he was with when the young officer in charge of them got flustered and couldnt get his head around a map. My Grandad explained to him a much quicker way to go, avoiding any contact with the other units on this training exercise and getting to their destination around 3 hours earlier then they were supposed to. They got there safely and as my Grandad had worked out.

He had some other amusing stories but I cant recall them all exactly. Ive got to get him to write them all down as he once suggested he should do, he's got hundreds of great anecdotes from when he was growing up in Dublin and while he was in the RAF.

On 2005-07-15 13:50, Pagit wrote:
    I'm a direct descendant of King Ludwig II of Bavaria aka Crazy King Ludwig. They guy who built Neuschwanstein, that fairy tail castle? Yup.
    King Ludwig von Koopa from Mario?! OMG, autograph please!!

The Original Bullet Magnet

my family history, ah theres a bunch of scrappers.

well suppose i should start with the biggie, about 148 years ago admiral william brown, the guy who founded the argentian navy. my dad managed to trace our family roots back to him. if any wants a brief history not recent, but impressive non the less.

fast forward a little bit, and my great-grandfathers on both my mom and dads sides of the family fought in world war 1. 1 on my moms side and one on my dads side died during combat. the other 2 both survived and recieved medals.

gotta laugh at my great-grandfather on my moms side. he was awarded the victoria cross for bravery. let me tell you how. the troops were commanded to make another run from the trenches across no mans land. about half way over half his squad where forced to take cover in a blast-creator as they where under heavy supression fire from a german bunker/hole/nest filled with troops. they where stuck there for the best part of 12 hours, with anyone dumb enough to stick their head up getting shot to ribbons by the germans. after a while my great-grand pops had enough. he sat up, climbed out of the hole, and slowly walked towards the bunker by himself, getting shot at the whole time.

he very calmly took aim and killed the 5 or 6 germans in the bunker and gave cover by himself as the rest of the squad retreated back to the trenches. he didn't get one injury despite the fact 6 giys where shooting at him.

by the end of the war he decided to stay on as a career soldier, and was promoted a few times. but eventually was tossed out, because he was found to be smuggling whiskey onto the base .

on the other hand, its not all world wars and argentian navys. yep, 2 of my great, great uncles fought in the irish 1916 easter rising and later fought in the 'irish revoultion' more handy history. its not something talked about much, but from what i gather they both survived.

only one of my relatives fought in ww2, a great-uncle, and didn't make it to the end, dying of sickness. my aunt has letters he sent home, which despite coming from a man in the middle of a war where funny as hell. been so long since ive seen them, should ask her to whip them out again sometime. my grandmother on my dads side was a nurse during world war 2. though she never talked about it.

and since then the family have turned into peace loving hippies. my grand-folks where a barman and a professional cyclist/butcher. my folks are a solicitor and a homemaker. and their biggest achievement to date would be gifting the world about 20 years ago with a child. a child who will grow up to be the ruler of the world!

MUH HA HA HA HA HA!

PEACE!!!

As far as I know, I have italian ancestors at some point.

There were this couple of royalty back in the mid 18th century (I don't know the exact date), where they lived in Genova. Apparently they fled from Italy for some reason, and went off to Portugal. I still carry the name of the Royal family, "Doria". If anyone knows something more about this name, please PM me, as I don't know much.

This is all so interesting. I'm in social heaven Keep em coming people!

Anyways, does anyone know a site where i can look up anscestors and such? I don't really know how to explain it, but you know what i'm talking about...right?

Er, what was it like? Oh yeah!

http://www.ancestry.com/