Does this game have a manual block feature cause so far I've just seen a passive (automatic) block which seems to kick in by chance.

If I recall didn't the Dreamcast version have a manual block feature, where did it go?

If/when you block is determined by your evasion status value (and maybe if you're mid swing or not, modifiers apply). I don't think PSO had a manual block either.

On 2007-01-03 03:45, SabZero wrote:
    If/when you block is determined by your evasion status value (and maybe if you're mid swing or not, modifiers apply). I don't think PSO had a manual block either.
    Thanks for at least putting my mind at rest, thought i was missing something... I've got a PC demo for PSO blue burst, I'm going 2 try it out later, want 2 see if it has a block or not.

PSO definitely didn't have a manual block. As far as I know, PSU doesn't either. However due to the pallete system, i doubt it would too hard to implement. or it could completely unbalance the game entirely. I think it doesn't need a manual block...

That's not a discussion to be had for a *role playing* game. RPGs have status values (and die rolls) that determine how something turns out.

If you want to control block, that's more towards games like street fighter...

Well, I don't think a manual blocking system wouldn't necessarily go against that. It could very much be ruled by numbers and die rolls--if hit in a guard stance you could have an increased chance of evasion or reduced damage otherwise. The stance could also be breakable if you're overwhelmed, or you could still remain vulnerable from behind.

That said, I don't think the game really needs one, either.
    Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

Then again, a shield could just add DFP or EVP as well. Ie, sacrifice your offhand pistol for extra defense :|

On 2007-01-03 04:40, SabZero wrote:
    That's not a discussion to be had for a *role playing* game. RPGs have status values (and die rolls) that determine how something turns out.

If you want to control block, that's more towards games like street fighter...
    hmmm well, look @ Oblivion or World of Warcraft, they have manual block functions??

Manual block is just more interactive but Phantasy Star is clearly a different breed, seems the game is actually played mostly behind the scenes, monitoring stats & upgrades rather than reatime combat. Obiviously can't forget to keep an eye on your health & use the correct tool for the job. Something to the lines of Diablo.

Time will tell if I like this title but I'm hopeful, it's different which is GOOD!

Legend of Zelda series are RPGs and i dont think i need to tell you that they have manual block controls.