Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In PSO on Dreamcast, most team dynamics were well-oiled. Everyone knew their rolke and what needed to be done, which usually made even strenuous situations like Challenge Mode go smoothly.

But after getting spanked by Dark Falz SEVERAL times at level where we SHOULD have taken him, I've realized that a lot of people palying now do NOT know the basic rules of team play, and what needs to be done to work together efficiently.

Here are a few guidelines, in nor particular order. Feel free to add to them.

1. Always always ALWAYS enter a battle prepared: I've had several VERY frustrating bouts with Falz where we lost because of a shortage of resources. In other words, the force didn't bring any fluids, or one or two players didn't bring any Moon Atomizers, and they were the ones who survived a Falz blitz. If you for some reason can't raise the cash for the stuff you need, tell your teammates. Don't leave it for a nasty surprise.

2. Always heal the androids!: I've had this happen too. I've been running around after taking a hit from the boss in a battle FULL of organics with Resta, but because none of them were damaged, they wouldn't cast it, and sure enough the next attack finished me, and they were forced to burn a precious Moon Atomizer to bring me back. I've even been running next to a Force after we had both been hit by a nasty attack, and the Force used a MATE to heal. Remember, androids have limited healing resources, don't make them burn them unecessarily, or they will falter mid-way through the battle! TP is cheap, don't be afraid to cast Resta often, even if you're unhurt and your teammates all have the same ability. You may get a Resta off where they would be unable to.

3. Stick together!: This is a corollor to the last one. You know how Resta, Shifta, Deband affect the whole group? Not if you're spread all over the map! with most baddies they don't care if you're in a clump or all over, they'll hit you all the same. Better to stay close so you can support each other.

4. Hotkey important items/techs: How many times have I gone into a boss fight, and seen someone stand next to a downed ally for several seconds as they ponderously scroll through their list of items to reach a moon atomizer? Hotkey the damn thing! Especially androids, your traps don't do you any good against bosses. If you have to use your hotmenu, drop your unecessary items (Like antidotes, antiparalysis, mats, etc.) in the bank and unclutter your list. and learn to use the hotlist? I've seen several lvl 40+ people still going to the MAIN menu for that sort of thing.

5. Take the Right Weapons: Always take any and all weapons you might need. Usually that means a gun. Most bosses force you to play Ranger, especially Falz's final form, and if all you brought are those nifty Musashi, you're gonna look pretty stupid. Pick accuracy and short cooldown over power... those mechguns could get you killed.

These all seem like common sense, but you'd be surprised at how many people this is news to. Anyway, if you've got something to add, add away!

One word, dude: newbies

I know how that feels... once I was playing with someone who didn't pack Moon Atomizers when we went after Falz. Of course, it was only him and me, so that didn't make Falz any easier -- it took three tries to finally put Falz out (curse Freeze status). He seemed kind of new to the game, so I can't really fault him for that, but it goes to show that you can't and shouldn't assume that everybody is set for a boss, because some people just don't know what every boss is going to do (I know I didn't once)! I mean, Vol Opt is the boss before Falz, and, well... look at how hard [b]he[b] (it?) is

It's times like this where a team leader who can coordinate, prioritize, and teach other players how to make the most of their abilities is worth his weight in 'uber rares'... quick and responsive communication helps with this, though, as well as a commanding presence that will get people to follow directions. Not many people actively use this skill that I've seen though, so you will want to take charge and get people prepped before you go and leap into that scary red teleporter. Otherwise you might be the one getting left behind while all the others get experience, items, or all killed...

I agree completely, as I too have been on teams where no one has a clue of how to act around both enemies and bosses.
    But what has me worried is that I also agree with the communication issue. N00bs don't stay that way forever, moving up and later enhancing the community. But...only if they can be educated on what to do, and not everyone pays -that- much attention to PSO to find places like this, and must be explained/taught in the game. A strong leader can only lead if they can actually tell people what's going to happen.
    Which brings back the "no keyboard" issue. I've had to leave games because the people were acting so useless, and I couldn't communicate to correct them. (EX: a FOmar which only cast Rafoie on everything, regardless if it did 12 damage. And the lovly time where I tried to ask if everyone had the right stuff for the boss, but while I typed it, they pressed the teleporter to the boss, and all died.)

I worry though, that n00bs and just regular doofuses will stay that way for MUCH longer if no one can help them out by talking.

Droid Hunter, Killer of Rappies

I agree...heal the Androids. We can survive many of the status effects that you organic types cannot, but we can't use magic. Also, if you are a FOrce, please, for god sakes, DO NOT use MATES! You have techniques that you can use, and you need fluids instead. Please, if you have any extra mates, give them to the androids. We really burn through them, especially in boss battles. I make it a point to leave the TP refill units(AKA fluids) to the organics, so could you please do us the service of leaving the mates to us, especially if you are a FOrce. Non-android RAngers and HUnters, I don't mind it so much when they use mates, but if you are a FOrce, there is no reason that you need mates.

Okay...now that I am done with that issue, I will present my opinions on another important issue: communication. I can't wait for the Xbox version. The voice chat will do wonders for telling people what to do, since you can talk faster than you can type(unless you have a cold), and when you type, your space is limited, whereas you can dispense more info by talking at the same time. The USB adapter will also allow a keyboard, which, while not as important as the voice chat function, is still vital to the game, especially in ordering teammates on what to do.

I really do not like it when the whole team splits up. If you really need to split up, make sure you have a partner. Go in teams of two(preferably an organic and an android player) to cover the level faster. The reason it would be good to have an android and an organic together is that the android can lay traps and resist most status effects, and the organic can use Resta/Shifta/Deband/Reverser/any other technique.

I have another tip for you to add to the list: be courteous. It really steams my collar when people don't at least say a little "Thank you" after a Resta/Reverser/Shifta/Deband. Well, unless you are in the middle of being attacked by enemies. In that case, you should at least be nice enough to thank the person after you are done with the enemies. Especially if they give you items when you really need them. If a FOrce gives you a *mate, then maybe you should be nice and give them a *fluid(if you have any).

Yes, and you should always use the hotlist whenever possible. It saves at least 10 seconds by just going to the hotmenu and selecting a Trimate than pressing Start, going to the Item menu, going to the Item select, scrolling down to Trimate, and pressing Use, than pressing Start again.

Oh, and finally, someone PLEASE make this topic a Sticky. It is one of those topics that everyone should read for what to do in a game.

Yeah. It really peevs me when FOrces nab Mates, and when Androids nab Fluids and status-healing items. I think teamwork will improve once we get keyboards. What really gets on my nerves, though, is when some moron will run into a hallway that looks like it could potentially have traps, then get blown up. That's not so bad. But then, as soon as they get up,they'll keep running! And hit every single trap through the hall. Then, at the end of the hall, they yell at me ((The party's Android)) about not taking care of the traps, when I'm trying to shoot them down! It also gets on my nerves when people demand heals and other things, generally quite violently, then don't even thank their healer. Oh, and don't even get me STARTED on pipe morons... I've heard more stupidity on the topic of pipes than anything else is this game...

This brings me to one question:

Am I the only support Force?

I've seen one other force that did their job. Always making sure there was Shifta/Deband and making sure everyone stayed healed. ALWAYS.

To alot of those FO's out there:

STOP TRYING TO BLOW SHIT UP WITH YOUR RAFOIE AND GRANTSING EVERYTHING.

On 2002-11-29 00:20, Jizzah wrote:
    This brings me to one question:

Am I the only support Force?
    Probably not, but everyone's spread out a bit on levels. My FOmarl is under level 20 since I don't get to play all that much, but all I do is lower enemy defense and heal (my S/D aren't up to level 3 yet, argh) with the occasional zap if there's a real need for it. Guess I've also been lucky, most people I've played with have moons, do use resta, don't run into traps and then complain about it, don't keep firing off techs that don't work, and often say thank you when I keep them healed when that pesky delsaber keeps smacking 'em down. Then again maybe the lower level people are just better because they've already played a higher one? Oh well, I'll hope my luck holds out, I guess.

On 2002-11-28 01:07, Atax wrote:
    One word, dude: newbies
    I 2nd that Emotion.

Nothing kills a good team like a n00b. No offense to those that don't know but sometimes I think that half the people who play online don't bother to read that manual.

Yeah, the keyboard issue is really amplifying these problems. Hopefully a keyboard will come out soon. Or even better, the X-Box version.

On the topic of Androids and healing, I'm sometimes TOO nice to the Androids. I cast s/d alot (before it even wears off) and If an Android is getting beat up, I will keep healing him. Perhaps I should attack more?
    When I was playing my HUcaseal, I got damaged and had no mates in a boss battle, so I followed the FO around, and he didn't seem to pick up on my health situation. Oh well, at least I was revived when I died

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MalambisBZ on 2002-11-29 06:11 ]</font>