Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: pso over psu

I certainly no longer play PSO with the religious fervor I once did. Haven't had a Hunter's License in over a year. Have multiple characters that haven't leveled in over a year... But I still turn on the good ol' shiny platinum box at least every few weeks, and play a few areas or quests or a nice Forest to Falz/Temple to Olga. Sometimes I even toss in EpIII.

I have already stopped playing PSU. PSU's story mode doesn't interest me half as much as PSO's does to this day, Extra mode is pointless and what I see of the online community here on PSOW makes me not interested at all in trying online were broadband to magically become available in the area I live in.

Long live PSO. :<

PSUJP: Nai Calus, M. B. 176 FI 20 | Elly, F. N. 42 FT 5 Requiescat in pace.

On 2007-01-29 19:02, poopsMcpuff wrote:
    I've played PSU once and i was immediatly turned off it.I HATE having to be ethan Waber,theat sucks that you can't create a character in offline!PSO still amazes me although ive almost had it 2 years,thats the longest a game fad has lasted for me
    you can create a character offline its called extra mode.

ALL OF YOU WHO PREFER PSO PLEASE SIGN UP ON MY LIST ON THE TOPIC "DO NOT CLOSE PSO SERVERS" LETS TRY AND SAVE OUR GAME HELP ME
    JOIN THE PSO TEAM
    PSO FOREVER

PSO all the way. I have played PSU maybe twice or so. I only like the extra mode, as that was all I played. But it just doesn't have that great freedom PSO gave. In there it was like "Okay, save the world, but take your time."

Hunters Guild Group
    Alex - BrHu | Satsuki - RaGu | Keiko - SuTe

PSU just does not look appealing to me. The reason I loved PSO is that it never ended and you always wanted more and more rares. And its battle system really distinguished it from other MMORPGs. I love PSO, and barring a broken Gamecube, I'll play it even when I'm an old man, hehehe.

Bought PSU. Played Story Mode halfway through with GS cheat to turn off the friggin' timer. Got bored. Traded it in. Got Jade Cocoon 2 and Summoner. Bleah. Not buying it again.

Seriously. They couldn't be assed to make a separate Challenge Mode, so they made the entire friggin' game a Challenge Mode? Smooth moves, Ex-Lax.

I'll be playing PSO on a free server when I finally get internet access of my own. And hopefully the wait for the next PS game won't be so long, nor the product so mediocre.

Meh. Wake me up again when a US release for PSO2 is announced, mmkay? Mmkay.

I tried to play PSOBB last night.

Terrible.

Just terrible...

I started playing PSU during the 360 beta then picked it up and been at it since day 1. I loved the game so much I've decided to go back to PSO and try that out to play the history of the series.

I really wonder, are people here saying they like PSO better because of the nostalgia factor or is it really better? There really hasn't been any real solid reasons other then maybe the story mode gives you a set character. I guess that can be a problem, but the story mode isn't the main bulk of the game.

I'm really liking PSO and I'll be at it for a while, I'm only at lv.5 with a RAmarl now. I love the level design and music, and the story is interesting. Here's what I thought compared to PSU though:

Level design & music - it's good in both games, you really can't go wrong with it.

Graphics - of course PSO is uglier, it's older, not really a big deal. PSO looks ok for characters, levels look nice though.

Gameplay - PSO is clunky. You get used to it, but it's a bit dated here. PSU really refined the control you have over your character. PSO doesn't age quite as well as other old action rpg's in this department. One thing it does have is the button timing, PSU is just flat out button mashing where PSO is timed. Then again, it's still simple and the removal of the timing in PSU doesn't really effect it at all. PSU is also much less linear having you actually travel places instead of selecting everything from 1 point.

Customization - PSU offers tons more in this department, but it's just the natural step up. You can still do plenty in PSO.

Now the forced character you use on the story mode sucks in a way, but it's not bad. It forces the story to set up a certain way. Once you go online, the story continues from the offline mode playing out with the same characters. It takes 20hrs to play through the story mode, it's not a huge deal. You don't need to play the story mode to understand what's going on either so you can skip it altogether.

Extra mode is just a limited version of online mode, I don't know why anyone would play this. You can play nothing but online and be set. Online is what it's supposed to be, I don't think it hurts from having no split screen multiplayer like PSO, it probably wouldn't have gotten much use except for a small percentage of people.

Overall, PSU really is better. It's just not as revolutionary as PSO so it's not making the same impressions. It is definately a step up though, but maybe just different enough to turn off the hardcore fans of PSO. Either way, I love both games and only wish I got in on PSO when it was big instead of now. (My PSU character is maxed lv. and 2 expert classes maxed, PSO still has a way to go from lv.5).

I definitely attribute the majority of the PSO > PSU attitude to nostalgia and the lack of PSU being a great new idea.

You're the first person I've seen who likes both PSO's and PSU's music. I think they're both rather on the mediocre side. A few very catchy tunes, but mainly a lot of dry, repetitive music.

Even though I loathe Ethan, the story is more easily developed in a JRPG with a set main character. As proven by both PSO's entire story and PSU's online story, a non-standard main character always ends up in a "smile and nod" protagonist role.

And BTW, loved the podcast. The PSU one that is Sorry to see it go.

Ethan is very medicore and cliche, I don't know if I hate him. Nobody I worry about playing though, maybe he'll be more interesting in the new chapters online.

I'm just easy to please, and I still have a lot to see (and hear) in PSO so I haven't heard even half the music. So far it seems good though. It fits the game.

Glad to hear you liked the podcast. It was a good time doing it but I didn't feel like I could really keep much going. I ran out of ideas faster then I thought, my last episode was horrible (not the best way to go out). Thanks for the kind words though.