Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

On 2007-04-14 09:52, Mewnie wrote:
    I've seen the terms 'challenge' and 'risk vs reward' bandied about so many times, I can only lol at thier use. Mostly they're used to defend the fallacy that punishing playstyles are good.

What is fun about spending days or weeks grinding one mission over and over for that rare S-Rank board, enduring the abysmally low success chance to synth it, then break it on the first grind? Yeah, they have a disclaimer, but only noobs use ungrinded weapons, amirite?

What is fun about dumping all your savings into Scape Dolls, so you won't look like a noob and get kicked from teams? Besides, Moons and PP are still finite resources, and dying too many times will slow down a mission regardless.
    The same could be said for the term 'fun' and its use in defending players who want everything served to them on a silver platter.

What is fun about being able to afford everything your heart desires in a few hours? To go into a mission and come out with an 'ultra rare' only to realize your friends have a palette full?

What is fun about not even having to pay attention when playing? Where no matter how many times you die you earn a 'perfect' score? With PP constantly regenerating there is indeed an infinite source of Girestas.

Like I've been saying all along, balance, balance, balance.

On 2007-04-14 09:52, Mewnie wrote:
    I've seen the terms 'challenge' and 'risk vs reward' bandied about so many times, I can only lol at thier use. Mostly they're used to defend the fallacy that punishing playstyles are good.

What is fun about spending days or weeks grinding one mission over and over for that rare S-Rank board, enduring the abysmally low success chance to synth it, then break it on the first grind? Yeah, they have a disclaimer, but only noobs use ungrinded weapons, amirite?

What is fun about dumping all your savings into Scape Dolls, so you won't look like a noob and get kicked from teams? Besides, Moons and PP are still finite resources, and dying too many times will slow down a mission regardless.
    While I'm tempted to agree with you, I still don't see what this has to do with people who refuse to do any mission other than Crimson Beast (or whatever's the easiest mission to spam at the moment).

My idea of fun in this game is variety, something that is sorely lacking amongst the majority of the playerbase.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sekani on 2007-04-14 10:08 ]</font>

The Eggy Bastard

well,voc and mine defense arent the best.tunnel recapture on the other hand,you will get AT LEAST and I mean AT THE VERY LEAST 26000 experience per run.running this one on S rank wiht luck days resulted in a very ridiculous amount of drops.and I mean that in a good way.so,with monsters 20 levels higher...the drops cant be much worse..yesteday when my buddy and me were running it (took 2 of us with 2 npcs with us 35-40 mins to run it)we didnt find much rares,but wait for a +3 luck day and spam it.you will not be disappointed.

anyway,the missino reward is very slightly better than lab.with a good big party I think its possible to bang out 20 min runs or less.yes,its long,and zoonas/bul bunas are truly little heaps of shit,but if you wade your way and fish for good spawns(the very same way people do with bugs over there at the seabed)you will be just fine.this is the new desert goliath in terms of experience.puts rings around anything else out there.

drua gohras=652 experience killing blow
    jishagras=217 killing blow
    navals/lapuchas=89(?!?!) killing blow
    zoonas/bul bunas..well,idk.probably simlar to jishagras.

you cant beat that with a stick

its not very easy to s rank it becasue drua gohras are about as difficult to not get killed by as a jarba,especially for forces.and the bil de vear at the end (yes,a level 95 champion) is a RIP to fight.truly a nice fun challenge.he will kill you.very quickly,do not doubt it.with a party though hell go down before he can hurt the rank because,hell,people stock scape dolls at lab,so why not do it here too?

my advice:get a party togehter and try it out on a +3 luck day.deal with the mission being somewhat long and somehwat boring because once you get into the groove of doing it its gonna go by faster.go for spawns that start with 4 navals,or jishagras/lapuchas together in the same big first spawn.those are the good runs,no zoonas/bul bunas.the first one may ctually contain zoonas in teh second block but either way,shit,are we gonna be that babyish about it?

play the damn game!

On 2007-04-14 10:01, Sychosis wrote:

The same could be said for the term 'fun' and its use in defending players who want everything served to them on a silver platter.
    Fun does not equate to asking for handouts. That's just being lazy.

What is fun about being able to afford everything your heart desires in a few hours?
    We had enough of that, thanks to script kiddies. Thankfully, it's recovering.

To go into a mission and come out with an 'ultra rare' only to realize your friends have a palette full?
    And what does this mean? Looking at the drop rate of the currently available S-Ranks, we're not going to see a rapid influx of them anytime soon.

The new grind changes coming doesn't mean you dupe your weapon when you grind it, so I fail see where this 'plethora of rares' will come from.

What is fun about not even having to pay attention when playing?
    Except, PSU is a game that requires you to pay attention, otherwise you accomplish nothing. You're thinking of WoW.

Where no matter how many times you die you earn a 'perfect' score? With PP constantly regenerating there is indeed an infinite source of Girestas.
    It still would take a long time to regenerate enough PP to recover from a near TPK. Or many trips to a vendor and shelling out money for charges/moons. By then, you're in negative cash flow.

Like I've been saying all along, balance, balance, balance.
    True. Within reason.

(Not a Moatoob Person)

On 2007-04-14 10:06, Sekani wrote:

While I'm tempted to agree with you, I still don't see what this has to do with people who refuse to do any mission other than Crimson Beast (or whatever's the easiest mission to spam at the moment).

My idea of fun in this game is variety, something that is sorely lacking amongst the majority of the playerbase.
    True. Some folks are just lazy. But some are like me, who might only play one or two days a week. I go to places like Crimson, because, hey, it's fast MP and I can find a group easy. When I get tired of it, most times a friend will mail me and I'll go help them find that ever elusive me/quick or poke around the planets.

loldrama

If you want MP, don't go to VoC/MD.
    If you want decent EXP, play them.

Simple.

Also, Lineage II was a good game, just far too grind orientated.

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)

Fun does not equate to asking for handouts. That's just being lazy.
    And by the same token, challenge does not equate to punishment.

We had enough of that, thanks to script kiddies. Thankfully, it's recovering.
    And it's good to see that most of the community doesn't like going to this extreme.

And what does this mean? Looking at the drop rate of the currently available S-Ranks, we're not going to see a rapid influx of them anytime soon.

The new grind changes coming doesn't mean you dupe your weapon when you grind it, so I fail see where this 'plethora of rares' will come from.
    It was a hypothetical situation where 12*s drop like candy. There are indeed a few people who take the stance of "I should be able to have everything I want, when I want because I paid for the game and I don't care who I ruin the game for."

Except, PSU is a game that requires you to pay attention, otherwise you accomplish nothing. You're thinking of WoW.
    You'd be surprised how little you have to look at the screen while firing nos techs everywhere

It still would take a long time to regenerate enough PP to recover from a near TPK. Or many trips to a vendor and shelling out money for charges/moons. By then, you're in negative cash flow.
    It takes a lot of moons to deplete 18,000 worth of rewards.

True. Within reason.
    Now we're seeing eye to eye

Rappy Hunter Serial Killer ThEoRy's Avatar

[/quote]

Both. ST makes it far too little risk, for huge ass rewards, and then the players are ready to dry hump these missions until they bleed.

[/quote]

lol "dry hump" !!
    Killing BioMonsters Since 1988
    1,427,595,780 exp
    Give or take a poulty

the thing is that there is no purpose to do any other mission besides easy money. I like doing variety but finding a party doing variety that is another thing. Unless your a Solomonkey then the most popular area i.e. crimson beast and seabed are going to stay that way. I did tunnel recap twice yesterday and went back to crimson. I have to agree that there is balance missing in this game alot. I really didnt see it at the beginning or up until the first S missions came out. Now its becoming more evident, the risks and rewards are not balanced. The only way i can see this getting a little better is for st to release s boards on the missions that are lacking reward wise. Or release good units on those boards.