Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

On 2007-04-27 13:09, Mistoffolies wrote:
    thanks again for the answers.

This really sounds like something that I would be able to like very well.

I should have also added about my computer. I am not in a position to upgrade it for gaming. It is very basic, just enough to get me online for research and Microsoft office for papers/spreadsheets. Heck it takes it like 5 minutes just to warm up. (Im poor that way, hehe)
    Lol As long as your graphics card is like 64MB or higher its ok you'll have to put it in low end mode though. I use my laptop which has a intergrated graphics card 128MB but it runs this game fine on Low end mode at frameskip 1.

A 64MB integrated card will NOT run the game fine on low end mode. I speak from experience. (Threw it on my desktop for kicks) Runs like Molasses.

Ok then 64MB is a no go. I just went by what it said on the homepage.

On 2007-04-27 14:07, Ryan113 wrote:
    On 2007-04-27 13:09, Mistoffolies wrote:
    thanks again for the answers.

This really sounds like something that I would be able to like very well.

I should have also added about my computer. I am not in a position to upgrade it for gaming. It is very basic, just enough to get me online for research and Microsoft office for papers/spreadsheets. Heck it takes it like 5 minutes just to warm up. (Im poor that way, hehe)
    ps2 would be best for you, cause pc can be terrible in games if it isnt one of the best, whereas the ps2, isnt like computers, it always stays the same, so youd be best with ps2.
    Yeah, the PS2 is consistently slow. >_>
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

On 2007-04-27 14:15, VanHalen wrote:
    Think 5 fps when using a Photon Art

On 2007-04-27 14:18, Sychosis wrote:
    On 2007-04-27 14:15, VanHalen wrote:
    Think 5 fps when using a Photon Art
    Heh. You can have fun still. Just think of it has the Matrix. Except it doesn't stop with the special effects.

300 items on your Partner Machine.

32 or 36, in your common Box.

32 or 36 in your shop.

60 Items on your person.

You'll realize what items are junk shortly and sell a lot of stuff to an NPC later. So it'll make more room.

They start you off with four characters so your item limitation for a more advanced player becomes 4 times the current amount.

A Player who wants so many options that they can't get enough PSU will grab a second account, sometimes a third.

You can Solo ANY mission, thanks to Sega introducing NPC cards from the beginning of the game. Don't think that they are there to help you though (Because they aren't) They are there to be a distraction for the enemies while you kill them.

In FFXI, to be great you have to play... A LOT. To get a high level you have to Play... A LOT! In this game you'll reach level 50 and be able to do most S ranks in about 70 hours of game time. Solo or Group.

By about 250 hours of gameplay, you'll probably reach level 80. On your constraints, you will reach a cap, assuming it doesn't increase very soon within 3 months.

But yeah, youll enjoy yourself here, speaking as a former level 60 Paladin Myself.

I'll back up what everyone else has said so far. This game is very kind to the casual player, and to those who don't have a lot of time to play a game. The monthly fee is very affordable, and you can play anytime for as long as you want. There will always be the "hardcore" players, those with lots of time on their hands to constantly hunt for things and level 2-3 characters, but it's not necessary to advance or even do a decent job. Unlike FFXI, where you'd be looked down upon if you didn't have a Noble's Tunic as a WHM or a Haubergeon as a WAR by the time you could use it, and no "reputable" high-class end game linkshell would let you in unless you were screwing the leader.

I played FFXI for almost 2 years prior to quitting and coming onto PSU, and it's been a wise decision. FFXI and it's time restraints and requirements (heck, who could have a decent work schedule in RL when you had Dynamis at 4pm PST Sunday and Wednesday, sea at 3pm PST Tuesday and Friday, and sky hunting every Thursday and Saturday at 3:30pm PST? Ridiculous things like that is just not feasible for the adult gamer with a full-time RL schedule. That game really are for people with no job or a stay-at-home job.

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

On 2007-04-27 12:18, Mistoffolies wrote:
    Hello everyone,

This is directed at former FFXI players.

What was the transition from FFXI to PSU like for you?</quote>

Very smooth. Everything I needed from FFXI, I got from PSU. Eventually, though, you may run out of things to do, but you'll suffer less of the FFXI withdrawal symptoms if you go to PSU.

<quote>and for all:

Are there any limitations to your inventory like in FFXI, such as XX slots for auction house and XX slots on your character?</quote>

The personal storage is much less limited than in FFXI, especially before the gobbie bag quests. You start off with 60 slots, and only really need about 14 for equipment (around six weapons, five armor pieces, and three pieces of clothing). The rest is open to things that drop, which you can sell in your shop (Around 30 slots used for selling items, as opposed to 6). And finally, you have a nearly unlimited bank. You can store many things without worrying about space (navigating through it is another story, of course).

<quote>Background for me:

I currently play FFXI, but have gotten to a point that I cannot go any further because of time constraints (school, work, RL, etc). I am limited to about 5 hours throught the week and 10-15 on the weekends. The solo aspect + opportunity for groups in PSU is very interesting to me.

I also play on PS2 because I refuse to sit in front of a computer any more that I have to (40 hours at work already).

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Mistoffolies
    Time is really not much of an issue. You can start and stop whenever you want, telling your group nothing more than "hey, I gotta go." Of course, I'd appreciate it if you told us a few minutes ahead of time, but it's not necessary like it was in FFXI since another person will just replace you quickly anyway (assuming you're at a hotspot).
    You can solo, and do things solo, but of course grouping is much more effective. There aren't really ideal groups, but at least one techer type is normally wanted. A group of six members of any class can go ahead and get exp or what have you without too much notice. At later levels, you'll get less rewards than you'd like when soloing, but it's not nearly as bad as in FFXI.

I hope that answered some questions. And remember, plds own your soul.

Since others already answered those questions, I'll just say this....

I can think of a billion things about psu that are better than ffxi. Since you have never played the pso series before unlike myself, you're completely new to the series. Main thing about psu is that it can be played casually. You can invest your time in guilds, but since there is no function for that and its hard to manage anyways, most guilds play it casually also. In that 5 hours of time, you can make a lot of improvement to your character if and only if you know what you're doing .

Tbh, I hate ffxi with a passion. I could write a 20 page paper on why I hate and how it sucks so bad. I cancelled my ffxi account about 3 years ago and was a 75 drk/nin. I had a busy schedule with college, part time work, gf, etc, but I know one semester I had to sacrifice that for that game and the guild. So frikken time consuming and on that summer, I kinda realized that ffxi was turning into crap for me. The guild drama also increased the "ffxi crappiness" for me. I'm starting to look for games with real time combat instead of "omg, let me watch my char wack this crap." People on here and the official sega boards give the game a lot of hate, but thats just because of sega's track record lol. The only reason I'm still playing this game is because you can play it whenever you damn well feel like it and I sure as hell love the real time combat.

You can play psu hardcore, but I don't see why when compared to mmos like ffxi. I'd wait for more content to be pushed out though because rushing truly will make you bored in the long run. Even though I'm level 80, I still find things to keep me busy, but I don't be playin the game 24/7. I casually do my rare hunting for the day and go back to rl priorities.

The only thing I do for FFXI these days is mod it still and thats a hobby I do only when I actually have the time of day. Majority of my ffxi friends have left that game either when i left or after and realized it was nothin special. SUre, I'll admit, I had fun playing as a nin/drk at times, but it got old fast.
    Finae - 150/20 Cast F FF/Fg/FG/AT/AF/GT/WT/FM
    Iris - 150/20 Newman F FF/Fg/FG/AT/AF/GT/WT/FT
    Shu - 150/20 Beast M FF/Fg/FG/AT/AF/GT/FM
    Astra - 120/20 Human F AF/AT