Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LMAO Black Spider is EMO! oh man i was dying the whole time he had the black suit

The Master of Mispeled Words Moo2u's Avatar

Alrighty, it's about time for me to go in depth about this movie. I'll start by saying MAJOR SPOILER ALERT!! DON'T READT THIS IS YOU WANT THE MOVIE TO STILL BE A SURPRISE!

Let me start off by saying that I'm a huge Spidey fan, and I regard Spider-man 2 as the best comic book movie ever made. That being said I had high expectations for this movie, and most were not fulfilled. Anyone who called this a worthy conclution to the trillogy must have something wrong with them.

I'll do the ol' compliment sandwich, just so it seems I'm not being a total ass about this movie. Let me start off by saying that the effects and art design for this movie are stunning. Sandman first emerging from the particle testing zone is an AMAZING scene and the animators really deserve some credit on that. Vemon and the symbiote also deserve praise in their look. It was creepy and powerfull, just like Vemon should be. All the fight scenes were well thought out and exicuted.

Now let's move onto the real problem of Spider-man 3, the plot. Sam Raimi and his writer got extreemly lazy in this movie, having too many plot lines to possibly have any good character development, and often depends on cliches and copouts to get them out of a difficult situation. Don't understand what I mean? Well I'll give you some examples...

So a rock falls from the sky right next to where Peter and MJ are lockin' lips and the black goo comes out of it. Man! Can you believe Peter's luck? Not only was he bitten by a radioactive spider, but now another freek once-in-a-lifetime power-giving thing happens to him. Why didn't they just have John Jamason bring a rock back from the moon with him, and have the suit break free and find Peter that way. I mean, they already set John up from Spider-man 2, why not use the character?

Now let's get into detail here. Like I said, there wasn't enough time to fully develop these characters. Doc Ock in Spidey 2 was awesome cause he had enough screentime to make him seem like a relatable character. But now you got 3 villians to worry about, plus two love interests, plus that black suit screwing everything up.

Let's start with Sandman. I thought Thomas Haden Church did a remarkable job portraying Sandman, but there wasn't enough time to let his character grow (pun not intended.) Vemon was awesome with the suit, but, once again, there was so much more they could have done with him. Eddie Brock could have had alot more to him. (Even tho, I do admit, all the fight scenes with drool worthy.) Gwen Stacy is a very important figure in the comics, but it seems she's just tacked on for this film. When I heard she was going ot be Eddie's girlfriend in the film, I thought Spidey was going to kill Gwen by accident (like in the comics) and that would be the last straw for Eddie.

Now, here's one that bugged me to no end, the new Goblin. First of all, Harry looks less like the Green Goblin and more like the X-TREEEM Goblin with all his getup (Green Goblin must just be a hard character to portray visually.) So the Goblin looses his memory, which is fine. That happened in the comics all the time, but what made it interesting was that you didn't know if the Goblin was lying about it or not. But what really made the new Goblin stink was right at the end with the butler releaving that Norman killed himself. This is ridiculous!! Why the hell wouldn't he say something before! For a matter of fact, who is this guy, and why should we care about him at all! Apparently, he has a good knowledge of identifying wounds, that's some high class detective work he did there, for some unknown reason. There must have been thousands of better ways to end off the Goblin ark than with that whole talk with the bulter thing. I'll think of one right now! Harry, just turning away Peter when he needed help, starts to hallusinate and talks to his father. His father pushes him to go after Peter while he's week, but Harry dosen't want to. Norman pushes and insults him, until finally Harry stands up to him and says he isn't going to be controled by him anymore. He finally frees himself from his controling father, and puts aside his differences with Peter for the moment to help Pete and MJ. He would die a hero, and maybe even forgive Peter while he's Harry's dying, making Harry a truely tragic character. But no, they had to go witht the random bulter guy making everything suddenly better. I sware, when he said "I loved your father," the theatre couldn't stop from laughing.

For that matter, there were alot of moments the theatre was laughing when it wasn't a joke. Such as emo Parker. Tobey Maguire played the role again perfectly (the outburst at his landlord was frightening) but when he put his hair down infront of his eyes, it just seemed ridiculous. Also, this might not be a big one for those in the US, but in Canada we all groaned when Spider-man rushes into the final battle and poses right infront of the American flag. Over partroitism much? Really? Was that really nessisary? Like I said, I bet the US didn't mind at all, but I bet all out of US audiences would roll their eyes to this.

That's not to say there wasn't intentional comedy in the film (J. Jonah Jameson is still hilarious) but the whole saturday night feavor strut coupled with that big jazz dance number might have been a bit too much. A bit of comedy in my Spider-man is good, a whole bunch in a row like that makes me think I'm watching the Mask, or something. It was overkill.

I was also looking foward to the score, but was disapointed that Danny Elfman wasn't there for this one, but a guy named Christopher Young instead. I could tell something was off about it, but couldn't realise what it was till the movie was over.

This movie really really could have worked, and I really wanted it to, but in so many places it just falls falt. The ending is no where near as satisfying as the end of Spider-man 2. Before this I was hoping for a Spider-man 4, now I'm dreading his arrivel (this movie is going to do so good in the box office that Sony is no doubt going to continue this franchize till it's good and dead.) This movie wasn't as bad as other poor supermovies (Fantastic Four, X-Men 3...) but it was still pretty bad. But it appears I've gone on somewhat of a rant, so I'll leave it at that. Nuff said.

I'll end off with a good comment about the movie. Bruce Cambell is still awesome.

Hahah, Bruce Campbell did indeed rock the house with his cameo. And another part I forgot--the "I loved your father" line! Haha, oh man. Right after he said that I imagined him following it with, "in the butt," and then I couldn't quit laughing (like the mature 20-year-old that I am). Ahhhh, Spidey(mo). Good times.

Hucast w/no breakfast kevlar_pso's Avatar

Midnight showings are good and bad. When I saw Attack of the Clones it was cool because the crowd was into it and had a good knowledge of the Star Wars universe. For Spidey 3 though the audience could be obnoxious at any given point. It came to a point where my wife got up to complain about the ppls behind us. After that it was kind of pointless. I had a hard time losing myself in the movie.

After I watch the movie again, this time w/my son, I will have a final review.

I haven't seen it yet, and heard terrible things... then again it really takes a good movie to make me go see them now... I doubt I will see Spider-man 3, or I'll end up watching it while I work, god knows I've already had enough of it since I had to put it all together for our midnight showings...

Personally I'd go see it just for the "Across the universe" Trailer >.> I'm REALLY looking forward to that movie

I read it on PSOW, so it must be true

I'm seeing Spiderman 3 with my Stage Band tomorrow

I WISH pictures were to follow. Tom (Out teacher) is probably gonna be the sole reason this is awesome

But I think this movie will still be awesome. I don't care if they use cliches and whatnot; the earlier Spiderman movies were chock full of them.. I invite them into my movies

I thought it was mediocre. Sandman was fuckin' badass though.

Down for the Getdown

So I saw it, without an high expectations or anything, and I enjoyed it.
    Yeah there were some corny parts, but they were corny in a good, funny way. Except some of the plot twists, they were corny in the predictable, trite, lame, cliche way.
    There were also some pretty bad scenes like that one Moo mentioned above: "WTF BUTLET WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME BEFORE?! And Coffee, my friend that I was with was joking about the same thing. "I loved your father, and I love you very much...Now lets go out in the back."
    Personally, I dug the whole boogie nights thing. It was corny and over the top, but the theatre was laughing and it was a good time.

So it wasn't like a 10 star A++++ WOULD WATCH AGAIN movie, but it was a good time and thats what you go to the movies for anyway.

Edit: O yeah and that American Flag scene. LOL, that shit was hilarious. YEAH, NO THINLY VEILED PATRIOTISM HERE, JUST GOOD 'OL WHOLESOME AMERICAN FUN! I'm still laughing about it right now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DizzyDi on 2007-05-05 07:47 ]</font>

I have to agree with Moo2u on almost every count... Except on the fight scenes... I thought they were over-developed and completely incoherent for the most part. I suppose some of them were ok... But for the most part no... And yea, that gratuitous money-shot in front of the American flag was extremely annoying... My friend and I both turned to each other with dumbfounded horror, then couldn't stop laughing for the next 5 minutes...

There is definitely something wrong when the whole theater laughs at what is supposed to be a dramatic and climatic scene. It kind of reminds me of seeing Star Wars Episode III in theatres. I think you all know the part i'm talking about...

Most importantly however, the movie was just a general disappointment because of the sheer greatness of the first and especially the 2nd films. I was amazed after seeing Spider-Man 2 at all of the little subtle nuances that Raimi achieved with his dynamic filming and wonderful plot and character development.

This will go down in my huge list of towering disappointment. Right up there with X3 and of course PSU.