Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Now before we get into a religious thing here is some info I found on the name.

The word "Lucifer" comes from 2 Latin words:

Lux (=light) + ferous (=to bear or carry). Thus the name "Lucifer" means:Light-bearer or Light-bringer.

In the English version of the Bible the name "Lucifer" appears only one time--in Isaiah 14:12. This reads:

1. "How are you fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning..."

2. "Lucifer" is not an English word, but a Latin word. The question is: who gave the world this Latin name?

3. In A.D. 382 Pope Damascus commissioned the scholar Jerome to make an official revision of the Latin versions of the Bible that were floating around in the Catholic Church. Jerome went off to a cave in Bethlehem where he proceeded to make his translation, supposedly based on the Hebrew text, but in practice based very largely on the Septuagint version that Origen had produced about 140 years earlier while in Caesarea.

Anyway, by A.D. 405 Jerome had completed his work, which we today know as "The Latin Vulgate" Bible. It is far from an infallibly accurate translation of the original texts. Rather, it is an interpretation of thought put into idiomatic, graceful Latin!

For a thousand years this Translation was without a rival--and herein lies the problem!

4. Jerome had understood that Isaiah 14:12 is talking about Satan. There the Hebrew word "heylel" is used and Jerome translated this into Latin as "lucifer"!

This is a mistranslation!!!

There is more text but I think it would go beyond what I post in one posted. But here is the Link.

But after researching it a bit since I was curious on the origin of the name I find that after all these years the name Lucifer meaning light-bearer, in my opinion was a mistranslation that for some reason early Christians decide to associate this name with the devils and in the whole Bible, let me rephrase that, in the whole original Hebrew Old testament text the name Lucifer was mention only twice but not for the devil but meaning the morning star or as we know it as Venus today.

But i found a name that goes with the devil much better and that is Halal; mad, boastful, a fool and foolish, even though they weren't talking about a evil demon but a Babylonian King and because of mistranslation that is why the name Lucifer is associated with Satan. I been looking into this for weeks now and I personally love the name Lucifer but what is my fellow PSOW'ers views?

It's ... a name.

And Bonus! It starts with the letter L. Isn't that great?

...*tries to resist using the phrase "pretentious crock"*...

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

AKA the Unbelievable Batmobile UnderscoreX's Avatar

Lacks heart.
    My better is better than your better.

The First

Actually much of the bible is left out and there are many more references to Lucifer than the regular bible... The morning star is a reference not to Venus, but to the fact that he was the first creation of god and the most beautiful. Of course Venus is also the most beautiful of all the creatures of the world. It's not a mistanslation, but rather a misunderstood thing...

Also "satan" is not one creature per say if you read the bible...it is the prosecuter of God's court.

The devil i forget about but i'm pretty sure it's just another word for lucifer...or one of the angels that fell with him...

As far as using the name...it's not just about sounds right or wrong as if that were the case i'd say yeah go ahead, but if you intend on giving it to a kid or changing your name to it... you should reconsider as it will cause problems for the kid...if the kid is a boy ppl will prolly shorten it to Lucy, let alone all the horrid shyt they'll have to go through because of the names

I think the name has promise. Many people I know would like that name. I have a friend who sometimes likes to go by Damian (greek: Damianos meaning "to tame"). I don't think religion should get in the way of whatever this is.

Hunters Guild Group
    Alex - BrHu | Satsuki - RaGu | Keiko - SuTe

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Beelzebub!!

Who is this guy again? Shadowpawn's Avatar

Bored much, EJ?

Same thing I think about the names Sephiroth, Cloud, SSJSJSGOKU, etc.

According to the Scripture, Lucifer was originally a really high-ranking angel, but was kicked out of heaven for trying to start a rebellion. Hence Lucifer being considered an evil name, even though it has a rather holy-sounding translation.

All I know is that the most hated player in the game is named lucifer...

But on a side not, lucifer was an angel, not only that, but he was one of the most beautiful angels as well If I remember scripture right.
    Chars:
    Mod BoT lv 150, Cast Gunmaster 20
    J.2 lv 150, Cast Gunmaster 20
    Jayster lv 150, Beast fighMaster 20
    GT = "jmido", Xbox 360