Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I don't care how terrible someone's opinions are on this type of thing, I don't think that they deserve to die for it. Be disliked? Yes. Die? No way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-06-17 14:26 ]</font>

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

On 2007-06-17 13:31, Solstis wrote:
    On 2007-06-17 13:25, Fujita wrote:
    On 2007-06-17 13:12, Solstis wrote:
    Well, that's what happens when symbolism gets in the way of events. As if events were real, anyway.

What I don't get is why Dresden is nearly forgotten. I mean, that place was absoultely devastated. Firebombing was old news by the time we got to Japan, I guess. The nukes were necessary as a symbolic gesture.

Okay, I basically just ended up repeating what Sinue said, but vaguely and without background citations, BUT WHATEVER OKAY?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2007-06-17 13:17 ]</font>
    That was then, this is now.
    What does that even mean? +1 post count?

"Man, I felt really sick from that bagel yesterday."

"That was then, this is now."

"That's just a stupid, poetic phrase!"

Summary: What? Are you a farmer's almanac?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2007-06-17 13:33 ]</font>
    Then go with your summary, and you will never see anything.

I don't really give a shit, it's over and I don't really see the point in fighting over it...whatever.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fujita on 2007-06-17 14:53 ]</font>

Customary AWESOME Title Solstis's Avatar

On 2007-06-17 14:46, Fujita wrote:

I don't really give a shit, it's over and I don't really see the point in fighting over it...whatever.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fujita on 2007-06-17 14:53 ]</font>
    A penny saved is a penny earned. Be sure to floss at least once a day. Don't spit in the wind. The past is a grotesque animal. Soylent Green is people. Don't pee on an electric fence.

Man, I wish I lived on a higher spiritual plane.

But, yeah, wishing that people would die just because they're historical jerks is mean, especially because of some japanophilia.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2007-06-17 15:07 ]</font>

The one-liners aren't packing the punch you're hoping for. Cut back on being mysterious and actually post a real point, if you have one.

The lil lady wasn't even alive when any of this happened (I don't think, and if she was then I guess old mindsets die hard). Pointing fingers in war means more war. She was shortsighted and had a loud mouth...ignorant people with radical opinions are better just ignored. Unless they're a world leader with a military under their command -_-

Yeah, just the fact that the Soviet and the States were both making even MORE powerful weapons is something that sickens me to my stomach. Besides, its not only the bombing, this person that I'm talking about has really been getting on my nerves since like the 1st week of this trip. I mean, her bitchiness has been getting on my last nerves, and saying something as horrible as what she said in Hiroshima just drew the line for me. I'm sorry for the way I came off, but I feel that someone needs to put her in her place. I'm not sure if I can do that today since I'll be too busy talking to the girl that I like who's the direct opposite of the girl I'm talking about in this thread, getting hooked up with that Japanese girl I'm talking about in my other rant is more important than shutting up that stupid bitch I'm talking about in this one.
    Street Fighter IV: Chun Li, Ryu
    King of Fighters XII: Terry, Kim, Kyo
    BlazBlue: Litchi, Noel

aka Dr_Montague

dood this one mexican general from the mexican american war once said, "Americans are vicious people of lazy character" or was it "lazy people of vicious character?" i duno but i think i got my point across

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dr_Montague on 2007-06-17 15:46 ]</font>

aka Dr_Montague

and ya i think the americans were fucked up u no to bomb like 100,000+ ppl mainly innocent civilians for peral harbor where like about a couple 1,000 US solisres died. So much 4 revenge, thats wat i call fuckd ppl of vicious character

Actually, your point got a little hazy from the grammar. And it wasn't revenge, the US didn't use the atom bomb because of Pearl Harbor. We entered World War II because of Pearl Harbor, and bombed the Japanese because they refused to disassemble their army after Germany had surrendered to the Allies.

I just dont like how people poke fun at the Hiroshima incident.
    Miranda F Newman Fighter (PSO2: NG) Ship 2
    ~Past Characters~
    DC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 100 » 102 (Ver.2)
    GC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 161 :: Za'leshea FOnewearl 172
    PSU: Eternia F Beast FF15 Lvl142(PC) :: Elemia F Cast GM20 lvl174(360)

We didn't enter WWII because of Pearl Harbor - we entered because we (spearheaded the effort, but weren't the only ones) chocked the Japanese War Machine dry of materials, resources, and munitions. Weither or not Japan had intended to attack the US eventually doesn't matter. They saw us as a direct and hostile threat, and felt they had to attack us to knock out Navy in the pacific so that we couldn't effectively stop their imperialist expansion.

We had to enter the war, because without our intervention the Japanese would have spread further into China and Manchuria - and would have eventually made a grab for the entire pacific, including Australia who was helping to fund the war in Europe. If the Japanese had captured China, they and Germany would have have split the Russian front and allowed the axis powers complete control over Asia, Russia, and Europe. I don't know if the war would have been winable at that point. As it was, Germany postponed Operation Sealion and wasn't allowed to take total control over Europe because of their focus on the Russian front, and the UK was retained as a launching pad for the allied invasion.

and ya i think the americans were fucked up u no to bomb like 100,000+ ppl mainly innocent civilians for peral harbor
    We weren't targeting civilian populations. We were targeting their military and industrial centers. The problem is, we didn't have sophisticated targeting systems. Alot of it was done with primitive sighting equiptment and guesswork. Thus, we carpet bombed to ensure that as long as we blanketed a large area with bombs - we could be relatively sure we knocked out the objective. Many of these bombing raids were done at night, under enemy fire, sighting targets by eyeballing them through clouds of smoke and blinding search lights. So yes, civilian casualties were high. That was the reality of war back then, and both sides engaged in it.

Japan, by the way, didn't just hit military installations at Pearl Harbor. They also attacked civilian centers on Oahu, likely by mistake as well.

Yeah, just the fact that the Soviet and the States were both making even MORE powerful weapons is something that sickens me to my stomach.
    It wasn't just us. China, England, France, India, and Pakistan have also been engaging in the arms race to build bigger and better bombs. America and Russia were just at the forefront of this movement. As much as you don't like it, Mutually Assured Destruction is a necessary policy in todays world, and it has kept us out of a full blown nuclear war for nearly half a century - which is why the missle sheild in Europe is deeply unstabalizing move for such an ineffective system. I would hope Bush has the common sence to work with Putin on this to develop a sheild that only protects (and protects parts of Russia as well) against nukes from rouge states, rather than being an affront to each sides retaliatory capability.

The downside of this policy, unfortunately, is the implimentation of proxy wars in which the Allies and the Commies use other people's armys and other people's conflicts to fight each other - such as Korea and Vietnam.

But yeah... anyhow, at the heart of the matter is that people die in war. People suffer in war. Economies are ruined, and nations are deeply scarred - or possibly destoryed outright. Is the agony of the Japanese farmers on the outskirts of Hiroshima any greater than the agony of an Iraqi civilian who looses their family to an erronious, or terrorist bombing? Are the 64,000 civilian deaths at Nagasaki really that much more tragic and deserving of pity and sympathy than the 65,000 civilian Iraqi casualties over the last four years?

If you're looking at Hiroshima and Nagasaki from the point of view just body counts and devistation - you're looking at it from the wrong viewpoint. That's war, and devistation like that happens reguardless - be it through Atomic weapons or convention weapons.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!