View Poll Results: Just got back from seeing an 8pm feature of the movie. Fucking awesome movie! Not a moment I didn't

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awesome!

22 91.67%
  • It was alrighty.

1 4.17%
  • Meh.

1 4.17%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transformers

The First

first...
    On May 30, 2007, Dreamworks greenlit two sequels to Transformers, and Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox and Peter Cullen signed on to return. Producer Tom DeSanto has envisioned a storyline introducing the Dinobots, the Constructicons, and Soundwave. Writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman may not return, as "Star Trek... is taking up kind of all of our time." Michael Bay has not signed on, "trying to keep some leverage for the negotiations", but already has ideas, including an aircraft carrier character
    secondly...before the movie there is a prequel comic that came out and this is it's plot

Long ago, Optimus Prime and Lord High Protector Megatron ruled Cybertron. Together they were the protectors of the Allspark, an enormous cube of energy that gave life to the Transformers. However, Megatron secretly desired the Allspark's power for himself, and soon he was corrupted. He formed a like-minded army of separatists -- the Decepticons -- with Starscream at his side, and he plunged Cybertron into civil war, killing millions.

During the Battle of Tyger Pax, Autobot Bumblebee leads a team to hold back overwhelming odds whilst Prime attempts to launch the Allspark into space, making a last-ditch attempt to prevent Megatron from claiming it, even at the cost of their civilization. Bumblebee loses his own voice-box in the process, but the Allspark leaves Cybertron. A determined Megatron flies into space to find it, and Bumblebee volunteers to find it before he does.

Megatron, keeping a close psychic bond with the Allspark, soon locates it on Earth. Heating up during entry into the atmosphere, he crashes and sinks under the Arctic ice sheets. The sudden temperature drop and loss of energon forces him into stasis-lock. In 1897, the National Arctic Circle Expedition headed by Captain Archibald Witwicky discovers Megatron, and the human is promptly driven insane by the Transformer. At the Boston Secure Hospital, the government takes great interest in his story and the Sector 7 group begin excavating Megatron, codenamed the "Mega-man". In 1902, the Allspark is discovered to be in the Colorado River, and by 1935, work begins on the Hoover Dam over it with plans to move Megatron there.

In 2003, Bumblebee lands on Mars before landing in Virginia, and takes up the form of a 1977 Chevrolet Camaro. Designated N.B.E - 2, he avoids Sector 7's gaze, forcing Agent Simmons to step up an operation to capture him. Bumblebee begins finding information on Captain Witwicky, and Sector 7 attempt to spring a trap with a replica Allspark. Starscream, Blackout and Barricade follow suit, destroying the Beagle 2 rover in the process, and defeat Sector 7's trap. They let Bumblebee escape as they know he can lead them to the Allspark. Elsewhere, Sam Witwicky is given his ancestor's glasses. A Target Corporation-exclusive follow-up shows Bumblebee tracks down Sam by checking outside Archibald's asylum and looks for his son Clarence to Springfield, Missouri, where he learns of his son Herbert, his six children and starts to look for each, one-by-one. All the while he is being followed by Sector 7 and Barricade
    and there is a prequel novel

The story is set in 1969 and details the account of a top secret space ship called "Ghost-1", built by the American organization known as Sector 7. The ship was built by examining and reverse engineering the frozen remains of the Transformer Megatron. Sent into space at the same time as Apollo 11 to hide its trail, the ship is sent to orbit the far side of Jupiter to look for any more alien activity. However, the ship falls into a wormhole and emerges in an unknown part of the galaxy - where it is not alone.

The Ark and the Nemesis arrive, intrigued by the ship's Cybertronian design. Starscream leads the Decepticons on an attack as the humans flee. Bumblebee pursues them, as does Starscream, who hopes to annihilate the ship - and any traces of Megatron with it. Putting Bumblebee to flight, Starscream communicates with Ghost-1, pretending to be benevolent. He learns of the existence of the Allspark and Megatron and decides to string them along by telling them of the war. He hopes to provoke them into firing on the "evil" Autobots, who will destroy them. Optimus Prime arrives, having fought off Blackout's attack in orbit, saving Bumblebee from giant rock-chewing worms. They encounter Starscream and Ghost-1, who fire on them, burying them in the cave with more worms.

The humans, meanwhile, have become suspicious of Starscream's intentions, noting differences in the behaviours of his and Prime's. Starscream betrays them and leaves them for dead. They manage to communicate with Prime and Bumblebee, telling them of Megatron and the Allspark. They eventually free themselves and head back into orbit, where a full-scale assault by the Decepticons is under way. Despite the Autobots' courage, they are outnumbered. Captain Walker of Ghost-1 makes the decision that they cannot flee, leading the Decepticons straight to their homeworld. They fire on Starscream as he and Bonecrusher prepare to finish off Prime. Starscream annihilates them in retaliation and retreats, severely wounded. Prime laments their sacrifice, but realises that they (and probably the Decepticons) will end up on Earth to find the Allspark.

On Earth, a different crisis unfolds. An order has come through to transport the frozen "Ice Man" from the Artic to a place of safe keeping somewhere near the West Coast of the United States, to be studied more concretely. The convoy carrying him is sabotaged and derailed by a Soviet spy, who indicates a KGB assault will take place to recover Megatron. A more immediate problem presents itself when it is revealed that Megatron is thawing out. As the weather worsens and the Russian attack begins, Megatron reanimates. Colonels Nolan and Kinnear, the convoy commanders, manage to stop the disorientated Decepticon leader by first driving a snow truck into him, then freezing him once more with liquid Nitrogen even as he killed them both. The soldiers, having fought off the Russian attack with the aid of a squad of Army Rangers, then resolve to complete Megatron's transportation.
    Personally i thought it was a good movie, had funny parts, action, story, but it also seemed a little drawn out at the beginning and squashed at the end. Some of the characters didn't get enough screen time and the way the Autobots were pretty much manhandled in the battle, while reminiscent of the true transformers history, but not part of this one, just was bad. The only "strong" Autobot was Optimus and he got owned by Megatron. The interactions between the 2 sides in my opinion was the worst part of the movie, but beyond that it was good.

As far as them not following the G1 cartoon...well... it works in some ways better because had they they would have had to introduce all the transformers almost all at once, sector 7 would have had to be rewritten, and the entire movie would have changed too much because people would then ask why isn't the bad ass megatron just going and taking the all spark and why is some teenage boy involved...it just makes more sense this way for the movie as any other way would take a small series to do just the intro...

Another thing I did not like is the assumption all machines turned to transformers by the allspark are evil when it is clear that the allspark had been used by both optimus and megatron for millions of years creating good autobots. The decipticons are the exception, not the rule in the movie universe, but they make it seem like they are the rule, not the exception.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DurakkenX on 2007-07-04 00:32 ]</font>

I guess I'm the only person in the US that *liked* "The Island" (which was a film by Mr. Bay as well.)

I'm no hardcore purist fanboy, but I did love the "generation 1" toys and cartoon series when I was a kid and still think they are/were pretty cool.
    However, I have matured and grown out of fanboy-purist POV's, so I was never having fits of rage and ranting and whining about the new "re-imagined" Autobots and Decepticons for the M.Bay Transformers movie as so many have done.

I think over-all they all look pretty darn awesome, and the movie is IMO an *above average*, fun "popcorn flick". An 8.8 out of 10.

I can usually enjoy fun "popcorn flicks" (with some exceptions), as well as more
    thought-provoking films like "Pan's Labyrinth."

But I'm no over-the-top purist fanboy having rant-spasms about the new M.Bay Transformers movie. I try to have an open mind and keep expectations low, I tend to enjoy some movies quite a bit more when I do.
    I wish every PSO-World member playing PSO2 would have this outlook/attitude:
    "I'll be honest: I'm a man of simple pleasures, and as long as I get to stab the blazes out of something, I'm pretty content."
    Tactlessness is ugly, willfull ignorance and bigotry is even uglier

I thought Pimp my Transformers was an overall decent movie... sure some bots didn't get the air time they should have, the little robot sneaking off air force one was damn funny >.>

After watching F4: Rise of the Silver Surfer, I was sure no one would take Dodge's prize for worst product placement.

Transformers proved me wrong. Way to go General Motors and Nokia.

But yeah, awesome movie overall.

I read it on PSOW, so it must be true

Ugh.

Thanks to PSOW, I was expecting the Jesus of movies. Transformers was very blarg; not amazing. It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't call it good either.

And I was really hoping I wouldn't be the first person to say it :/

I was just waiting for the moment where I'd be all, "OMIGOD FO REALS?! <3<3<3" but it never showed up.

On 2007-07-03 16:06, trypticon wrote:
    Having Optimus' original voice in there was a great help with the feel of the movie. I would LIKE them to get Starscream's original voice in there, too, because it made him sound so fucking evil. Soundwave's original voice would be great, too, since it was my favorite one out of all the transformers. If they get Soundwave's voice back, they'll get Megatron's since Frank Welker did both of them.
    I heard Frank Welker would be doing the voice for Megatron in the Transformers game. At least they put him into the whole transformers deal somehow. As for Starscream, his original voice actor died quite a long time ago, back in 94... No one got the voice of starscream down quite as good as Chris Latta

I cannot fucking believe Blackout died to fucking humans but Barricade wasn't even touched. Fucking lame. Let my favorite one die, and let that retarded one live and not even be in the final fight! Bah! Oh, and Bonecrusher, another of my favs... died like, 10 seconds after spawning. Prime is a fucking spawn camper.

And Starscream was the lone survivor of the Decepticons... well, and the Mountain Dew machine... lol. I can't wait for the second one with Dinobot... wonder how they'll work him into it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-07-04 19:21 ]</font>

PSO2-JP: Ship 2; Bouncer/Braver, Tiana Cross.

Zomg! I didn't realize Chris Latta had passed away, too! That sucks! That guy had a classic voice.

22 (or was it 27?)M in one day, new record that makes the previous record, Pirates Of The Carribean 2: Dead Man's Chest (15M ) pathetic in comparison.

I'm not a movie fan, but it seems OK. I might see it, but DAMN IT, Harry Potter tempts me.

Yeah, you heard me.
    Kyousei - 21 Fnewm

i thought the movie was good, but not really good. Action scenes set aside, there seems to be very little actual story, the main human character seems to be way to attatched to Bumblebee in such a short time and with little interaction other then being driven and saved, as many have said, many transformers did not get near enough screen time. The final battle also ends way to abruptly, and some of the scenes in it looked like they had a hard time choosing the order of them.

the film is good in the action department, except for about a half-hour after the military base attack at the very beginning (least it fealt that long) but aside from that it's really not that great. Lots of graphics and explosions and robot on robot action, but I wouldn't call it great. Worth my money, yes, but not great. I'm voting "It was alrighty."