Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Sonic Team knows how to design fun games...thats it. The development side of things is completely lost on them, QA as well. I don't think it will get fixed because ST sucks at coding. There is no excuse for a game like PSU to have slowdown on a hardware as powerful as a 360. I if I can destroy a $300k car in Forza 2 at 60fps I should be able to swing a sword at more than 20fps in PSU.

It shouldn't even slow down, it's a PS2 game in a 360 -.-

I am pessimistic, with new graphical effects we will provably get more slowdowns if it is possible...

Rappy Hunter Serial Killer ThEoRy's Avatar

On 2007-07-10 13:21, amtalx wrote:
    Sonic Team knows how to design fun games...thats it. The development side of things is completely lost on them, QA as well. I don't think it will get fixed because ST sucks at coding. There is no excuse for a game like PSU to have slowdown on a hardware as powerful as a 360. I if I can destroy a $300k car in Forza 2 at 60fps I should be able to swing a sword at more than 20fps in PSU.
    el oh fucking el.
    can't stop laughing.
    but seriously Amtalx.
    I don't think I've ever even seen you swing a sword! lol
    Killing BioMonsters Since 1988
    1,427,595,780 exp
    Give or take a poulty

lolDiads
    If Diad was a planet in PSU, I'd live there

There is no excuse for a game like PSU to have slowdown on a hardware as powerful as a 360.
    Actually, there is. It's called porting the PC version at the last minute and putting it on 360. The game relies too heavily on the CPU just like Final Fantasy XI did, all because the core game engine revolves around the PS2 hardware. The game wasn't designed with the 360 in mind from ground up, so it's not an issue of their competence in coding, it's an issue of whether the management is willing to devote money to fund such a thing.

People like to oversimplify how game development works and just throw around "Developer X doesn't know how to code", but that's not how it is at all.

Phantasy Dad Online II Dragwind's Avatar

On 2007-07-10 15:27, Parn wrote:
    There is no excuse for a game like PSU to have slowdown on a hardware as powerful as a 360.
    Actually, there is. It's called porting the PC version at the last minute and putting it on 360. The game relies too heavily on the CPU just like Final Fantasy XI did, all because the core game engine revolves around the PS2 hardware. The game wasn't designed with the 360 in mind from ground up, so it's not an issue of their competence in coding, it's an issue of whether the management is willing to devote money to fund such a thing.

People like to oversimplify how game development works and just throw around "Developer X doesn't know how to code", but that's not how it is at all.
    That is true, but it really boils down to funding in the end, as you can see. Either way, blame funding.
    PSO, PSU, PS:Po, PSZ | PSO2: Jergraw (All classes 90) Lunaeris Demoria (Fo/Te 90) Onlak (Hr 90)
    -**Tech crafting max- message me for crafts**-

Forum Rules - Read it!

Care to explain why a game designed for the PS2 runs so poorly on the system it was built from the ground up for?

Resist/Demon++

I had massive slowdown on Urgent Orders.

lolDiads
    If Diad was a planet in PSU, I'd live there

On 2007-07-10 15:35, Foxix wrote:
    Care to explain why a game designed for the PS2 runs so poorly on the system it was built from the ground up for?
    Because the game was designed with the hard drive in mind before Sony officially pulled the plug on support. It's much more feasible to adapt your code than it is to scrap it when you have a deadline and money's involved.

I'm not gonna pretend to understand the reasoning, but in this era of video gaming, ports or not, framerate and slowdown issues of this magnitude should be inexcusable.

On 2007-07-10 15:50, Parn wrote:
    On 2007-07-10 15:35, Foxix wrote:
    Because the game was designed with the hard drive in mind before Sony officially pulled the plug on support. It's much more feasible to adapt your code than it is to scrap it when you have a deadline and money's involved.
    Yep, and then everyone would complain about pushed-back release dates. No pleasing some people.

It WOULD be nice if the 360 and PS2 versions got the same graphics options the PC did, where you can adjust things like the frameskip. I haven't played anything but the PC version but from what I'm gathering, apparently console folks don't get that option.