Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I read it on PSOW, so it must be true

On 2007-07-10 16:12, Sekani wrote:
    I'm not gonna pretend to understand the reasoning, but in this era of video gaming, ports or not, framerate and slowdown issues of this magnitude should be inexcusable.
    Then why have you played this game for so long?

On 2007-07-10 15:50, Parn wrote:
    On 2007-07-10 15:35, Foxix wrote:
    Care to explain why a game designed for the PS2 runs so poorly on the system it was built from the ground up for?
    Because the game was designed with the hard drive in mind before Sony officially pulled the plug on support. It's much more feasible to adapt your code than it is to scrap it when you have a deadline and money's involved.
    Red flag, ignorance detected.

A harddrive has absolutely NOTHING to do with slowdown or slow loading times.

Like ive said, the reason for the slowdown is because Sonic Team SUCKS at making games now. The Load times on this game relate closely to the load times on Sonic the Hedgehog 360/ps3 - Also known as the WORST platformer to ever be released to the public since Superman 64. Sonic Team isnt the sonic team that made Sonic Adventure 2 or PSO anymore. Their standards have dropped entirely. PSU actully is the best game they've done since, but even this game has unexceptable problems.

The slowdown needs to definately be addressed, as it DOES make this game unplayable in a sense. It wastes time (No matter how bad your lagging the clock still ticks perfectly, so you lose mission time for unfair reasons), and makes it extremely hard to even hit some enemys in big parties when they die before you get a hit off.

We need to send a letter to them making SURE they deal with this problem. There's no reason it should exist.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-07-10 17:34 ]</font>

the slowdown is based on video memory and processing speed. in fact 90% of the game's technical problems are rooted in memory issues. A lot of it could be solved with frameskip as it would prevent some of the issues with memory dumps...but we can only hope ST pulls their heads out of their asses to fix these problems.

The fact that timed missions become nearly impossible to finish at times due to slowdown to such extreme degrees is rediculous. I have to point my camera downwards at times to even keep up with my teammates when running to the next room.

It's not alwasy the case, but it happnes often enough that I get frustrated just thinking about it

On 2007-07-10 16:26, PJ wrote:
    I'm not gonna pretend to understand the reasoning, but in this era of video gaming, ports or not, framerate and slowdown issues of this magnitude should be inexcusable.
    Because I just like to talk tough and not back it up with any action. That's what message boards are for.

On 2007-07-10 17:49, Sekani wrote:
    Because I just like to talk tough and not back it up with any action. That's what message boards are for.
    own'd

On 2007-07-10 17:33, Serephim wrote:

A harddrive has absolutely NOTHING to do with slowdown or slow loading times.
    You can access data much faster from a harddrive than from a game disc. The end result would be less time spent at loading screens and less lag when switching weapons, among other possible improvements. It wouldn't be a panacea for everything, but it's incorrect to say that it does "absolutely NOTHING."

well...technically...you're both wrong.

the HDD can only help if the bus speed and seek time on the drive are fast enough. generally speaking with HDDs that's never a problem, as even an ata100 5400rpm standard would be faster than say a 4x DVD rom...but if the expansion bay bus that Sony developed or bought for the PS2 were slower than the DVD rom bus...then we'd be faced with different issues. seeing as how the HDD CAN be used to play games from (thoughI've never done this my self to say what the loading time was like) It's safe to say the HDD in the very least wouldn't hurt. installing data to the HDD while still readong from the disk would at least allow for the PS2 to read frm two places at once to lower read times. Still there's processor and system bus speed to consider too so it's hard to say exactly how it would impact overall performace without exact specs.

of course there's also coding to be considered as poorly writen code and bad compression also impact loading time.

a lot of this is just memory issues across the board. there a few step taht COULD be taken to alliviate these issues...but I doubt they could be prevented completely. at this point I'd just like something resembling consistancy when it comes to load times. I'll run a mission and never have the slightest bit of wait time between switcing weapon types...then have moments where it takes 10 to 15 seconds. and the general slowdown has been rehashed enough times that I'll just leave it at that

The only time my 360 slows down is when a bunch of monsters spawn at the same time or everyone uses a PA at the same time.

Rappy Hunter Serial Killer ThEoRy's Avatar

He did say SHOULD be inexcusable.
    Killing BioMonsters Since 1988
    1,427,595,780 exp
    Give or take a poulty

lolDiads
    If Diad was a planet in PSU, I'd live there

On 2007-07-10 17:33, Serephim wrote:
    Thanks for the unwarranted attack. Right back at you.

For starters, this game has the slow-as-hell DVD-ROM drive that's streaming and decompressing ADX audio files on the fly, loading map data as you move, AND trying to load in weapon data for every player who swaps weapons. The very fact that you think the game being installed on a hard drive wouldn't improve load times is downright crazy.

Turn the music off on the PS2 version of the game and watch how much faster the game runs. The DVD-ROM drive is a huge bottleneck for the game. But hey, if you refuse to believe me and want to fall back on "SONIC TEAM'S JUST A BUNCH OF RETARDS", then be my guest.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2007-07-10 20:00 ]</font>