Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

I'm really am being ignored, aren't I? I've asked repeatedly that "fairness" not be the subject of debate here.
    On 2007-07-15 02:42, SavageNation wrote:
    Do items link to you when they drop?

No. They are linked when you pick them up. If you want to prove this once and for all, you can create a mission with three players. Pick up the first two rares and skip the third. Repeat while keeping track of who is getting what. At the end of the mission, go back and pick up the rares you skipped.
    Didn't Item Distribution Test #1 already prove this once and for all? If not, please explain why it didn't. Proving this was the whole point of the very first post. Also SavageNation's theory (along with anyone else's) can be proven or disproven once and for all if anyone were willing to try.

I'm gonna test what happens if I stop being objective and unbiased for a moment.

For order:

All the item distribution methods are global effects. None of them treat one particular person differently than the others. Anyone who joins a group is shown the distribution settings constantly, can check the setting at any time, and only a leader at the mission counter can change it mid mission. Any player is free to leave at any time and the leader is free to lock at any time. Starting, joining, staying or leaving a group is completely voluntary.

Example: Even in pick up groups, people can communicate. You cannot receive a rare without anyone seeing. You can ask what items can or can't be picked up. The game treats everyone equally. How the players treat each other is up to those players. If something is wrong, you can say so. By staying in a group, you imply that you agree to what that group is doing. If a person is abusing a system, it is not the fault of the system. Others have to allow it to happen.

For random:

A random number generator is completely unbias and, in any practical use, manipulatable. The /dice function does not favor any exact number despite what the actual results may be. Past results offer no precedent to future results. No matter what the previous result was, the chance of having /dice roll a number is still 1:6. Probability states that the odds any beneficial result to you is exactly that same as the odds of a beneficial result to someone else. If a person is "lucky", it is not the fault of the system. Being deemed "lucky" is an opinion by other people.

Example: A lottery ticket is a chance to win millions. That chance is only worth a few bucks. That is how much it's worth, which is how much people pay for the ticket. The winning ticket is not worth millions. The buyer paid a fair amount for a fair chance at a prize. It's not unfair that everyone else lost. The fact that the person won does not change the value of what he paid for and recieved. Everyone else bought the same product that the winner bought at the same cost. No one had a unfair advantage.

For finder:

Here's what I think what the "best" "fairest" "ungreedyest" way would be. Start a group with trusted friends. To each of them, fax a price guide listing the current market value of every item in the game. Have them sign it to prove they agree with how much each item is worth. Lock the group and run a preset number of runs. Agreed that only the leader can pick up items and set it to give finder. When the runs are done, total up the value of all the drops, divide by the number of people. Leader pays everyone that much, then everyone buys the items they want off of him at market value.

Sorry if that last part went to far. I don't mean anything I just said. Can we stop arguing fairness here? Please? I still need four volunteers for recordings.

Third test completed. First post updated. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3P0pLaPt9c

This proves that rares are sorted separately from nonrare items. Thanks again to Siertes for recording this. The tests are explained in the first post.

Before the update on thursday, I want to record a final test. The following is a script for a final test, requiring seven people:

My hypothesis is that items are assigned to a player's color (red, blue, yellow, green, pink, aqua) and leaving or joining a group does not reset the order.

Me and 5 people form a six person locked group. Recorder waits outside counter and begins recording. No one will carry any healing items, meseta or synth mats. Unsafe Passage C with rares set to finder and normal items set in order. The order in which the items drop doesn't matter, as proven already. Meseta is a normal item, as proven already. Rares have no affect on normals, as proven already.

Pick up five normal items. Process of elimination means the next item picked up must go to the excluded player. Excluded player leaves and recorder joins group.

Pick up next normal item. My hypothesis is that the item must go to the newly joined player. If not, then my theory is disproven.

If it does, then my theory is inconclusive because there is still a 1:6 chance of that player getting that item if the order were reset. Repeat this test 3 more times. Odds of a 1:6 chance coincidence happening four times in a row is 1:216. I will be over 99.5% sure that the leaving player passed on his place in the order to the joining player.

If this is proven, I can write a proven explanation on exactly how set in order works.

Zoamel, you are amazing despite the constant bickering in this thread.