Hello all,

I recently have been fooling around with all the different melee weapons of PSO. I don't know about anyone else out there, but I am really starting to dig using Partisan type weapons (right now it's a Berdys for me). I was wondering what weapons others like and why. I like the Partisans because I am finding that I can do my combo attacks on v-hard and since the monsters are at such a long range I can get away before they can take a swing at me. Also I seem to hit a lot more targets with a partisan rather than a sword (always a good thing). Plus I like that little extra defense boost. If anyone has a Vjaya or Gae Bolg they can hook me up with I would be more than grateful (e-mail me at [email protected], I have yet to find one of those two ). Another question: Anyone use Slicers? the seem like really cool weapons (atleast they look like fun [insert Xena chakarum battle cry here]).

I love partisan-class weapons, too. In the caves and ruins (where you get swarmed a lot), they're very handy. Taking down ten monsters with a single combo is the bomb.

I like sabers; the range is adequate, the animation is fast, and the damage is good. They look really cool.

Double sabers are a great substitute for sabers; good range, slightly less damage, but balanced by more hits.

I used to think I liked daggers, but I tried them last night and hated them. Range is too short, damage is too little, limited to one enemy. They do look slick, however.

I don't like slicers. They don't do huge damage, the animation is slow and moves you forward significantly, and the way they bounce around annoys me.

I'm not crazy about swords; the animation feels slower to me, and they don't seem to have quite the horizontal spread of partisans.

Photon claw is cool, but the first time I tried it in the caves, it didn't move quickly enough to get in a combo without being hit.

I like swords more than partisans. With a sword I can practically juggle crowds using a normal attack then following it with two heavy attacks rinse repeat, except in vhard where the monster move too fast. I usually take a big hit after one combo into a crowd in vhard, so I cast resta and repeat.

In the caves and ruins, multi-hit weapons are pretty much manadatory to do well offline. I've never had much luck using daggers, claws, sabers etc to kill a crowd of dimenions.

In the forest and mines though, crowds are generanally spread out more, so you can use daggers or double sabers etc to get the job done.

I was jazzed about my Double Saber until I hit the mines on hard and I find I do alot better with my new Gladius. I am not really all that into the big swords, but Partisans are cool.

I know this is about melee weapons, but nothing comes close damage wise to repeater types with 50% affinity. You also have the range to hit what you want, kill it with two shots (6 hits), and move around before they get to you.

Yes, 6 hits (weak, then strong) from a 50% will kill all monsters excluding bosses, even on vhard.

By the way on vhard, partisan types are better than sword types (to me anyways) because if you really want get get away without a hit do a weak, the strong attack. Do not do the third attack, but take a step back and repeat.

Anything that can do 6 hit combos would be fine with me, don't like saber type but they have better range and faster recovery compared to dagger type. swords are pretty decent weapons since they hit pretty far. hate partisin stuff when u do the combo u move too much and recovery time is bad when ur fighting delsabers in ruins they might jump u out, bad damage compared to any other weapons i think might be even worse than throwing, and those damn horse raiders and magic casting ff8 style looking female bastards can cast GI spells on u. I actually use guns(Still that varista+9) the most but in forest and cave i prefer 6 hit weapons(ripper+15, I'm not that high lvled only 47).

Resident Toolboy

I like multihit items, like partisans, swords and slicers.

Partisans were my first favorite. I started getting them when I reached the mines on Normal offline. I found out that with the partisan I could group up the Gilchiks and hit them even when they fell on the ground. Right now I use a Brionac to take the mines.

Swords came in after trying to defeat the Mines boss with a partisan. After the pain subsided, I found that the sword's extra punch and tiny-bit faster animation would save me from death. Afterwards I use swords for levels where enemies are fast and come in large groups (Ruins, Caves) as well as for the bosses. My current favorite sword is a Last Survivor.

Slicers have a very specialized use. I use them offline to weaken as many enemies on-screen, so I can then switch to another weapon (like my LS) to finish them off. Saying a slicer doesn't deal a lot of damage is totally dependent on the slicer: My current Diska of Braverman can deal 170-190 dmg per hit without Shifta. I use that particular Slicer (which has 40% bonus vs Native) against the Dragon. It hits it everywhere (legs, wings, neck) on one slice if I aim it right.

-=Draekkan=-

Humar (lvl 69)

<FONT color=00FF00>GREENNILL</FONT>

Expert Hunter/Ranger for hire.

I don't mind going nowhere as long as it's an interesting path.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Draekkan on 2001-02-27 17:07 ]</font>

Here is my take.
    I really wanted to like daggers. They do great damage but I always get my combos interrupted and plus the way you move forward when you combo with daggers it gets you surrounded too much.
    Sabers are ok I guess but the damage isn't much more than my sword.
    So I go with sword. Dragonslayer 30% dark.
    I don't understand why the perfect guide says that HUnewearl can't use swords. I kill most everything with 3 hit strong attacks. Plus the knockback gives me time to get away after the combo. The knockback is the key. If you circle the creatures once or twice you can turn and swipe and get them all with ease. The AI for the creatures in Vhard often try to break off the line-of-attack to surround you but the sword's range usually gets those also. I don't seem to miss enough to warrant the need to init with a weak attack. Strong attack is the way to use a sword so the knockback makes up for the slow swing. It really is more efficient. I didn't really think that anything could make a slow weapon work for me but range and knockback does it.