Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Karen Erra

Hugh doesn't suck. Nyah.

Heh, lots of things are ignored when they're inconvenient.

...like Gurhal's sun, which is only ever seen during the end credits and when the planets are aligned. Network Mode players should take note of this every time they leave their room or enter a spaceport.

Guardian of Grants

Main characters always have to have different surnames, it adds to the mystery of the story and makes them more of an individual. It would have been less interesting if Karen and Maya had the same last name since they're really nothing alike.

As another example, no one in Final Fantasy VIII had the same last name or at least you didn't know it, even though people were related all over the place: I'm sure everyone knows this by now but Laguna Loire is the father of Squall Leonhart, Ellone (no surname given) is his sister, Raine Loire was their mother - Headmaster Cid was the husband of Sorceress Edea - Rinoa Heartilly was the daughter of Julia (Heartilly) and General Caraway.

Unfortunately, while Gurhal's sun isn't more prominently shown - there are several instances where it is. For example in the Maiden's vision in chapter one (it shows the solar system and zooms out to a distant dark-sun-like object spewing out SEED). Also, it's mentioned in news casts and NPCs several times due to the increased rate of sunspot activity leading up to the Unification Point. Why it's causing sunspots is unknown right now, but we do know it's intricately tied to the SEED - so it will likely be a major plot point later.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

The First

It should also be mentioned that the Sun is not shown in the unification point as i have said a number of times before. The alignment isn't around the sun.

Also, Wallin, every single one of those characters have a reason for not having the last surname.

I submit that the name "Erra" may refer to the word "Errant", which essentially means wandering or lost, with added connotations of being wrong or out of place. It suits the circumstances under which the Shidow family found Karen rather well, I think.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

Ice caves... killing bil *cue kill bill music*

It's always possible she changed her name just because she could.

On 2007-08-26 20:59, Wallin wrote:
    Main characters always have to have different surnames, it adds to the mystery of the story and makes them more of an individual. It would have been less interesting if Karen and Maya had the same last name since they're really nothing alike.

As another example, no one in Final Fantasy VIII had the same last name or at least you didn't know it, even though people were related all over the place: I'm sure everyone knows this by now but Laguna Loire is the father of Squall Leonhart, Ellone (no surname given) is his sister, Raine Loire was their mother - Headmaster Cid was the husband of Sorceress Edea - Rinoa Heartilly was the daughter of Julia (Heartilly) and General Caraway.
    I'm willfully ignorant of anything FF, and will remain so for the rest of my life

I think having Karen be Karen Shidow would have been better, actually; it would have been a better way to put forth she was adopted, when Ethan realized Maya shared the named and yet looked nothing alike. As it was, there was nothing but disbelief from me when this scene played out; without nothing to clue you in, I assumed Maya and Karen were just good buddies who hadnt't seen each other for a while, not foster sisters, and so it felt forced and artificial, when most everything else so far has been just perfect.

On 2007-08-26 20:59, Wallin wrote:

A little off on Ellone. Her parents were shot dead trying to protect her from Sorceress Adel or who ever it was. you learn all that at the begining of disc 2, I think.

On topic, I've noticed It's the same situation with Laia as Karen. Her Family name is completely diffrent from that of her adoptive Father.

The First

Strangely...Laia is also connected with Maya >.>

On 2007-08-27 10:30, Sydz wrote:

On topic, I've noticed It's the same situation with Laia as Karen. Her Family name is completely diffrent from that of her adoptive Father.
    I would assume that has more to do with the fact that Laia doesn't want to be judged on the fact that she is the President's daughter, and would rather earn her own merit.