Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

I've played through PSI and PSIV, half of PSII, and got to the first town of PSIII before getting mauled by a pack of rappies (true story). Would it be worthwhile for be to put up with the horrors of old RPG game mechanics to play through the rest of the PSs? If so, does anyone know of a way to releave some of the stress of doing so? I'm mainly looking at the lack of description of spells and equipment, as well as the lack of direction (take my dieing before reaching the first town).

http://www.phantasy-star.net

Maps help a lot, especially in PSI, where the annoying traps in the dungeons make you fall through the floors, and in PS2 and 3, where the characters walk slower than death.

Mostly, old-school RPGs are all about patience. Endlessly killing enemies to level up before a boss or save up enough for new weapons and armor.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obscenity on 2007-02-13 21:47 ]</font>

www.Phantasy-Star.net has some decent walkthroughs for the games, as well as information on techniques, magic, arms, and equiptment. I haven't gotten too much finished on the PSIV, PSIII side of the original games yet - but most of the PSII/PSI information (including maps, stats, beastiary, bios, trivia, ect) is up on the Wiki if you care to look. No complete walk-through at this point however.

Be careful - since the games are older, and since it's an information database, there's a lot of spoilers at these two sites. Proceed at your own risk.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-02-13 21:52 ]</font>

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Granted, PSII and PSIII could've been articulated better, but Phantasy Star II has (in my personal opinion), the best plot of the series, that'll still raise the hair on the back of your neck ten years later, while Phantasy Star III has both the best and worst of the entire series (best music AND worst music, best graphics AND worst animation, etc). Perhaps I'm biased, but I submit that they're both worth playing through to the end.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

I love all of them, although the first and fourth are my favorites. I think PSIII is criminally underrated, though.

but Phantasy Star II has (in my personal opinion), the best plot of the series, that'll still raise the hair on the back of your neck ten years later
    That game is in desperate need a true next-generation upgrade with fully fleshed out dialouge, 3D graphics, CGI cutscenes, orchetrated music... and a Final Fantasy sized budget and development staff. I'd love to see that for the whole series actually.. but PSII in particular because it has such a strong plot to build from.

Seriously - go read the PSII Manga over at Ill-Intent. Just the first few chapters of that are far better (imo) than PSU's entire plotline.

Speaking of which, any word from Andrew on weither or not he'll complete the Manga? I know he went commecial with his own project awhile back, but I also hear he's still wanting to work on PSII when he gets the time.

On 2007-02-13 23:11, Sinue_v2 wrote:

That game is in desperate need a true next-generation upgrade with fully fleshed out dialouge, 3D graphics, CGI cutscenes, orchetrated music...
    You mean like the Sega Ages: Phantasy Star Trilogy for the PS2 that was cancelled for the US?

He means beyond that. Personally, I agree.

On the other hand, I believe it was DezoPenguin (though it may've been Joel Fagin) that once said that Phantasy Star III is in the most desperate need of a makeover. Phantasy Star III done with today's technology would be a very interesting journey, considering how much further we could take its "Generations" system.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

You mean like the Sega Ages: Phantasy Star Trilogy for the PS2 that was cancelled for the US?
    No. Actually I already have Gen 1 & 2 (JP import). While they're good attempts at budget remakes, I'm talking of a remake that it would put it on the scale of contemporary next-gen JRPG's like Final Fantasy XIII or Enchanted Arms.

Agreed, PSIII technically is in the most desperate need of a makeover since what they were trying to accomplish at the time was limited by the technology and the scope of design - though I would rather see a remake of II if they won't do it for the entire series. Even if not just for what it could do for the series - but for what it could do for the JRPG genre as a whole. I think Skies of Arcadia was a great shot in the arm for it's time, but I think PSII (done right) could be an even greater boost.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-02-13 23:37 ]</font>

Personally, I would have been happy if they just brought the Ages remakes over to the US, or even done something along the lines of what Square/Enix has done with the FF remakes for the GBA.