Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I think MS will just turn the server off, im still paying for a subscription though. I better get this cancelled today but i keep forgetting to do it.

I think it's a real shame it's shutting down, i can understand in some ways but it's just a shame PSO came out at a time when online gaming was still in it's infancy so the impact wasn't that great. It would appear that PSU is huge success with the amount of people playing it, but in reality it's just the timing that's getting it's userbase because as a game it pales in comparison to PSO, it's awful and any true PSO player would say the same thing.

I do not see why some people keep saying "PSO is dead, move on", when people can still play. There are private servers (this is not encouragement, just common knowledge) and you can still play GC and Xbox offline. As long as you have the game, a system to play it on, and the want to play the game, it won't die. Hell, I still play on my NES (when I can get it to work) and my SNES. The games on those aren't dead, so why is PSO considered such?

Hunters Guild Group
    Alex - BrHu | Satsuki - RaGu | Keiko - SuTe

versatility is my middle name

On 2007-11-26 19:40, HedKandi wrote:
    it's awful and any true PSO player would say the same thing.

MAJOR F***ING QFT

It would appear that PSU is huge success with the amount of people playing it, but in reality it's just the timing that's getting it's userbase because as a game it pales in comparison to PSO, it's awful and any true PSO player would say the same thing.
    I concur!

Hunters Guild Group

On 2007-11-22 11:00, Ketchup345 wrote:I believe I remember reading that Microsoft is the one that controls the servers, especially when it comes down to who can play with who (I believe no game on the original XBox live has multiple regions playing together; if I'm wrong, then Sega should have talked to Microsoft about it.
    You may be wrong because all Xbox180 games are international except for PSO. I've played Halo 2 with a bunch of people speaking Japanese on my team a few times.

I think it's a real shame it's shutting down, i can understand in some ways but it's just a shame PSO came out at a time when online gaming was still in it's infancy so the impact wasn't that great. It would appear that PSU is huge success with the amount of people playing it, but in reality it's just the timing that's getting it's userbase because as a game it pales in comparison to PSO, it's awful and any true PSO player would say the same thing.
    But that's the thing; there are very few "true" PSO players. Those who still stick to PSO play elsewhere. Those who have quit after the official servers shutdown for GC/DC/PC move on. Even before the shutdown, it can easily be seen that the game itself was getting unpopular as it passed over time. And I do admit that PSO was a huge revolutionary game for GC where it was the only online game for the system. But it really wasn't enough, as compared to others like WoW or some other overrated games.

On 2007-11-26 20:12, AlexCraig wrote:
    I do not see why some people keep saying "PSO is dead, move on", when people can still play. There are private servers (this is not encouragement, just common knowledge) and you can still play GC and Xbox offline. As long as you have the game, a system to play it on, and the want to play the game, it won't die. Hell, I still play on my NES (when I can get it to work) and my SNES. The games on those aren't dead, so why is PSO considered such?
    Because in reality, it's dead. There is no way you can play online officially on a console system. And really, if the private servers didn't exist, PSO would have been dead far longer. Even with them, PSO is actually still dying.

And about playing offline, what made PSO fun was the fact you can actually get online and play with other people. Really, if you don't have any one close by to play PSO with, the game itself is a just an old repetitive game where it won't offer so much challenge. Seriously, who wouldn't get tired of playing 300 Forests in a row offline when considering there are only a few variation maps available? It gets stale really quickly.

On 2007-11-26 21:36, Splash wrote:
    Seriously, who wouldn't get tired of playing 300 Forests in a row offline when considering there are only a few variation maps available?
    I would, but that's me, a PSO fan who plays offline with friends and family and online illegitly.

Hunters Guild Group

On 2007-11-26 21:40, AlexCraig wrote:
    I would, but that's me, a PSO fan who plays offline with friends and family and online illegitly.
    Probably should have made an emphasis also: Who wouldn't get tired of playing 300 Forests in a row in single-player mode? And really, multiplayer is just a slight beneficial alternative to online mode but it still lacks a whole lot.

And since you are a PSO fan, it's not a surprise you attribute such qualities. Among many others, you would rather play the game further on private servers.

versatility is my middle name

On 2007-11-26 23:20, Splash wrote:
    Among many others, you would rather play the game further on private servers.
    i'm with him

Splash, i agree and you're right when you said PSO players move on. I would say 95% of ppl that i've played with during my suffering (oh i mean time) on PSU were with people who have never played PSO before. Very interesting i thought because to them, they don't know any better. The sad thing is that if people who have seen PSU first then saw PSO, they wouldn't like PSO.

Don't get me wrong, PSU is a decent game in it's own right, but i don't like it, it's not the game i wanted it to be and i have tried so hard to enjoy it, but i can't.

There is still a lot of life left in PSO, but as you say it's best played in multiplayer although i do still occasionally play offline doing a quick run of Mines or Ruins.