Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jeez this is funny stuff, I mean Jinnai himself provides half the comedy (this is a pic) and Shayla Shayla is a pretty cool anime babe when she's not getting blown up by her own fireball...

I didn't really get into the comic, but I like the OAV series. Fujisawa's hilarious, and Alielle's the cutest midget nympho lesbian I've ever seen. Jinnai always cracks me up, too.

I even bought cels. I have a cute one of Alielle and a rather badly drawn Jinnai. I can't complain; they were cheap.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alielle on 2003-01-05 21:32 ]</font>

oav, second oav, tv-series, second tv-series? seen it all, loved it all, but then again, this was years ago... and before germany got a really crappy dub -_-;;
    the manga however is nicely drawn but doesnt really add something new (just another 'parallel-dimensional' story...)
    so far, mho

Hmm... never heard of the manga for El-Hazard. Was the manga based off the anime or the anime based off the manga? Usually, it's the latter, but I've never heard anything about the El-Hazard manga until now.

I loved the original OAV series (have the boxed set), but haven't watched much else, after being told by a friend that the rest wasn't that great compared to the original. But, I do have the boxed set, so eventually, I'll watch the second OAV.

Oh, and what language are you reading the manga in?

English... I can't read Japanese, I'm sorry to say. Nor can I find an import of the graphic novel (probably should check ebay right?) but actions speak louder than words in this series it seems.

your nose is so small, so button small

Yeah, that's been my favorite series for the longest time now. I've seen the first tv and both OAV series. How's the manga? I've been wondering whether or not to pick that up for some time now.

The first one is so funny, I mean if you saw the OAV then you know what to expect, right? But I don't know, the manga may be a little different, I only have that to go on. But think of it as portable El-Hazard, it's simply hysterical.

hm... got vol.1 here... japanese version...
    (shonen captain comics special ISBN4-19-830130-1 first print 1996, my print is 1998 btw... )

like i said, artwork is really nice done and the story so far is different to any other version, but seems to be based on the first TV-Series (rune venus - the princess - is not adult but teen) but then again there's the adult ifurita, not the teen-one from the first TV-series... hm...
    is there really an english version out already?

Viz has released a translated version. Based on what's written on the front cover, I'd wager that the manga came after the anime.

And for buying import manga, I recommend http://www.sasugabooks.com as the cheapest location. Other websites I've been to in the past include http://www.planetanime.com, http://www.nikaku.com, and http://www.firefly-anime.com. Also, in the New York area, there's the Kinokuniya Japanese bookstore in Rockefeller Center, but they're a bit pricey. And, of course, conventions are great places to stock up on manga (you'll find at least 3-5 stores stocking manga in the dealer's room, usually more).

FOnewearl Plushie Fan

El Hazard was originally created as an anime, if I recall correctly. The manga was written after. It's like Tenchi that way. However, El Hazard was originally written as one complete story, unlike Tenchi, so the original OAV series ends quite nicely, and the trouble with all the spinoffs and sequels is that they can't really work that well, since most of the loose ends were tied after the original OAV series. They have to change/ignore some of the events to function, and that made me not bother with them. I saw them, of course, but the only ones I bought were the original, which is in my favorites list.