Check this out:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/ma...-handturn.html

Found this on Digg, and I'm very impressed. I'm thinking of trying this and seeing how much gasoline I'd save.

I try not to make left turns anyway to avoid idiots.

Think I've heard about this before.

Seems interesting, but not always usable by everyone. I do try to do this when on heavily traveled roads with many shopping centers though.

There are some left turns you just can't escape. If I ever see somebody make a 270 degree right turn just to go left at an intersection, I'd probably shit myself...

I think the idea, Broodstar, is not to turn 270 degrees in a single intersection, but rather, to go a block further down and make a right at the next 3 opportunities.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

Isn't it illegal for commercial vehicles to make right hand turns on a red in many states? I remember having this pointed out to me when I was taking my driving test for a motor-home/RV company. Maybe it's just vehicles of a certain size and weight, due to the slower takeoff speed?

Personally, I can't really see it saving them THAT much money. Turning left often is quite a bit faster, and you waste more gas going from a dead stop to a low speed back to a dead stop several times like when going around a block. Especially if you have to sit there and idle while waiting for an opening in traffic to make your right turn.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

short term, no... long term, yes

I guess the idea is that it saves a miniscule amount of gas, which when multiplied by a zillion trucks adds up to noticeable savings.

Funny thing is, they'd save a LOT more gas by not shutting the engine off every time they make a two minute stop.

Well, since i'm a UPS employee, I kinda knew this for a while, even.

I'm still around.