Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Note: A lot of the information I put forth in this thread can be verified by Phantasy Star's wikipedia (not psupedia) entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star_series

Sinue V2 got me started on this in the Max Attack G Screenshot thread with a stray post:

Beta 772 did come after Flowen's infection. Originally Osto and his team were working on artificially evolving Computer AI's, hence the Mother Project. After Flowen's infection, and the discovery of D-Cells, Osto turned his work to Bio-weaponry and artificially evolving organic life forms. I doubt that Osto was working on creating a new Dark Falz, since he wasn't even sure what Dark Falz was. He was just interested in the mutagenic properties of D-Cells. Eventually he turned to fusing the Olga AI core into the Infected Flowen as a control measure for the creature Flowen was turning into - as well as seeing whether or not the D-Cells could affect the evolution of the computer AI when merged with an organic host. The experiment failed, however, and Flowen was dumped down the trash chute.

Though I suppose it could be argued that Dark Falz was influencing Osto like he did Ult - or like he did in other PS games. But I don't see why he'd want Osto to create a clone of himself. Olga wasn't subservent to Dark Falz, and indeed, the two ended up clashing and destroying each other - creating Endu and the Great Shadow as a byproduct.
    Now the questions that have got me hanging are these:
    How the hell does all of that tie into what we're seeing in PSU? It looks like Falz' handiwork - and if the Phantasy Star series is any indication, you're going to have to deal with him once every thousand years regardless of how thoroughly you clean him up, as Dark Falz is the physical manifestation of the Profound Darkness sealed away in the Algol/Gurhal star system, by its original rival and enemy, "The Great Light". The great light apparently used the planets themselves as the sealing anchors. This is what PSU's box art/title seems to represent, actually - the magical nature of the planets can also be seen in the fight with Dulk Fakis' second form. If I had to venture a guess, it's that time of the millinium once again in the Gurhal/Algol star system. Are the A-photon wielding ancients referenced in PSU the agents of the great light, and the agency that sealed the profound darkness into the Algol/Gurhal system?

Further evidence for the time drawing near is the reappearance of Rykros/Ryucross.
    Info on Ryucross ganked from wikipedia:
    Ryucross is a planet on an extremely elongated orbit, such that it only approaches the other planets once every 1000 years. Ryucross may only be seen by looking through the Aeroprism; a valuable crystal through which objects can be seen that are normally hidden to the naked eye. As such, its exact location is unknown to any living being. The planet's abnormal orbit was designed by the Great Light so that when the seal on the Profound Darkness weakens, Ryucross comes to warn the Protectors of the danger.

Ryucross' guardian is "Le Roof", an incredibly advanced informational entity left by the Great Light to give the Protectors their mission. As the inheritor of part of the Great Light's being, Le Roof is the last creature to hold the secrets to the ultimate purpose and fate of the Algol system.
    And it's now a SEED HIVE?! When and how did that happen?
    Something big is going down there, although the crappy mission isn't much of an indicator. Contrary to what Episode III suggested, I doubt we've seen the last of Falz. His imprisonment was probably to put a hold on the millenial cycle, and now that he got toasted the cycle must have resumed. How will it be stopped without the great light's presence, or at the very least, blessing? Where and what is the Great Light? I think those stinking Newman know.

Whew! Okay, I'm done. But feel free to take it up with me, if you have any other ideas.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2008-01-01 14:18 ]</font>

NOT CONNECTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 >_>

Honestly, I'd say they're not connected. However, if they chose to connect the various series it might resemble something like this. Ok, the 1,000 year rule no longer applies. At the end of PSIV the Profound Darkness was destroyed and it rendered the seal meaningless. The fact that PSO takes place roughly 800 years after PS (if you assume AUW and AW calendars are the same and originate from the same time period) doesn't really mean anything except a continuing tradition.

The idea is that basically the Profound Darkness and Dark Falz are the same being, one being just an extension/manfestation of the other. The Dark Force/Falz aboard the Alisa III was only defeated - not destroyed. The Alisa III does not travel back in time to arrive on Earth, but instead lands on an unknown planet which has striking similarities to Ragol. (Crys's ending, I think, but Adan's could also work for both Future Earth or Ragol since it's ambiguous with the # of moons) The inhabitants of the Alisa III exit, seal the craft, but eventually all die for (pick a reason). The Dark Force/Falz aboard, is not destoryed like previous incarnations because it is the only remaining vestage of the Profound Darkness left. It's body is destroyed, but not it's conciousness. PSO makes clear reference to the fact that the darkness will always reincarnate so long as the light exists - because the two are a pair. Hence, Dark Falz's escape from the Ruins of the Alisa III in PSO to gobble up Pioneer 1 and draw Rico ever closer to him so that he can possess her body and use it as a copporeal focus - an anchor in the world - in which it can build itself back into the new Profound Darkness. Yada yada, Ep II & IV, and finally the end of Episode III where it's revealed in one of the many endings that the Great Shadow is a byproduct of Olga and Falz's clash. The Great Shadow may very well just be another broken down form of the Darkness. How THAT ties into PSU, possibly through the SEED, is yet to be seen. PSU's storyline is still ongoing.

PSU thus far has provided a very important hint that I'm probably making WAY too big an issue of. That being that Photons exist as a spiritual and natural property of the universe. These Photons also carry with them a "memory" of past events - allowing for those exceptionally in tune with the Photons to read divinations from them. However I suppose they might also work on a more subconcious level and civilizations all over the Universe (Algol, Coral, Gurhal) have aligned themsevles similarly due to the presence of this shared photonic memory. Hence events in the past seem to repeat themselves. Numans being present in every PS solar system, for example.

And it may end up fulfilling the musings of the original PS staff in the Phantasy Star Compendium whereas at some point in the future - probably in a totally different game series (to keep the symmetry - 4 games per series, 4 series for the franchise) we will have to go on some wild adventure spanning all the known solar systems in an attempt to kill the Great Light/Photons so that the Darkness can finally be destoryed once and for all.

Of course, this is just the half-drunken early morning/late afternoon ramblings off the top of my head and not to be taken in any way seriously.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

When will people finally accept that ST is lazy and likes to re-use a lot of names of things?

I still want to think there is a connection. PSU will totally rock the history if in the end all the games are connected. I still dont understand why people get so upset when someone start speculing about a relation beetwen all the PS series.
    "The game is still delayed. SEGA is currently working on bringing PSO2 to the West and will update as soon as we know more." -Sega.

Howdy, Sinue. I figured you'd show up, so I didn't bother carrying this on in the Max Attack G thread.

Now we're getting to the fun part - degenerating into pseudo-philosophical hocus-pocus on the nature of light and dark. I'm not going to challenge the end of PS4, for some very obvious reasons, but I will say this - if the Profound Darkness is no more, from where did Dark Falz' derive its power in the PSO series?

As for the relationship between photons and the great light, I agree with you there. At any rate, it would make for an interesting story arc. It's pretty obvious that the Communion of Light knows something about the whole ordeal, as they're presented as aloof, silent and plotting in regards to PSU's present crisis. I definitely suspect we'll be seeing more of that, particularly concerning the ancient's conflict with the seed.

All right, I'm going to make a terrible confession - I'm in touch with the fact that they're making it up as they go along, and that the plots are only loosely related.

The natural storyteller in me wants them to whip a nice surprise ending that puts everything into perfect focus while blowing my mind in the process. I'm not counting on it, but yeah, it would be nice. The art direction in the PS series really makes the wacky story come alive for me, hence my interest.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GoldRidley on 2007-12-28 22:31 ]</font>

On the Sega Genesis Collection, there's an interview with a PSU developer. He mentions PSU having a lot of ties back to the PS games of old and says that "Lutz" is in PSU. I can only think of Lutz being Rutsu, because Neudaiz = Dezo and Rutsu almost sounds like Lutz. Ie; CoG could possibly be a throwback to the Esper Mansion on Dezo.

The character Izuma Rutsu from Phantasy Star Universe is a direct reference to Lutz from Phantasy Star. Lutz is often romanized from the original Japanese as "Rutsu". Also, as Noah redefined the role of, and leads the Espers in their current form - Izuma similarly created and is headmaster of the Masters of the Planetary Spirit in the Communion of Gurhal.
    Thoughts?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JubeiSaotome on 2007-12-30 02:26 ]</font>

On 2007-12-28 14:20, Golto wrote:
    When will people finally accept that ST is lazy and likes to re-use a lot of names of things?
    Don't assume laziness is always at fault.. As a writer, I tend to enjoy reusing old characters and names in new works quite frequently.. It has more to do with paying homage to old (but not forgotten) ideas and placing a spin on characters and places that couldn't have otherwise been done in the past stories.

As for the PS series having any connections.. Well, I'm of the opinion that they -are- all linked together somehow, but not in any conventional sense.. Something more along the lines of parallel universesdimensions, with the Profound Darkness (and mayhap, the Great Light) transcending these barriers and retaining all knowledge of what occurs in the other universes around them. This would also account for why certain things like Gurhal resemble Algol, because mirrored dimensionsuniverses should show some similar structure to one another.. if only a vague one.

I believe Ryucross is Ragol

Why? I'll explain.

Phantasy Star

Ryucross in the Phantasy Star series is a planet that has such a wide orbit that it rarely comes into view of the other three planets.

First, what is the purpose of Ryucross?

"A fourth planet, Ryucross was also created to serve as a warning star to alert the Guardians of the time when the seal (sealing Dark Falz) would be it's weakest."

So this planet comes into orbit when Falz's seal is weak.

Phantasy Star Online

Ragol was a planet discovered on it's own and named by the scientists onboard the Pioneer 1. Now, why does all the symbolism and imagery in PSO revolve around three planets (The Seal, containing the words Mutt Ditts Poumn, the three planets around the logo, the three pillars to unlock Ruins) when there is only one planet in the entire game!

Ragol couldn't be one of the three planets, they would ruin alot've the symbolism and it would make no sense. There are items on the planet Ragol such as Heart of Poumn (Parum) and Prophets of Motav (Moatoob), how did they get there if Ragol was a planet all on it's own?

So far we've established:

-Ghural is a reflection of Algol, Algol has a 4th planet named Ryucross
    -Ragol is not a lone planet, it clearly has influence of three other planets everywhere in it

Phantasy Star Universe

The game goes back to the story of the three planets. It seems like things are repeating itself, doesn't it?

Planets like Parum, Nuedaiz (originally New Deiz (Dezolis)), and Moatoob are major pieces here.

The solar system is going to hell; SEED attacking, the Illuminus, the Guardians at an all-time low. Wouldn't it be nice to have some type of warning?

Oh look! Here comes Ryucross to alert the Guardians! Only something is terribly wrong.

Ryucross has become so infected it's become a planet-sized HIVE. Now, why would SEGA use the term 'planet-sized' and not just 'Large satellite' or something like that?

Because Ryucross was once a planet. But we need proof... something that proves it was once a lush, beautiful planet. If only there were some type of link to it's past...

Oh, how convenient!! VR simulators on the now-infected Ryucross! Let's take a look and see what this planet once was.

Well, looks like it's a carbon copy of Ragol!!

Ryucross, the planet that was supposed to warn the Ghural system of danger has now become the threat. How could such a thing happen?

Maybe the morons on the Pioneer 1 should've just left it alone.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Angelo on 2007-12-30 04:12 ]</font>

Angelo, you've made my friggin' day.

We're left with one loose end - Coral.