there was a naming trick from pso where you created a new character and named them some sequence of numbers and letters. When you finished creating your character, it would tell you that the name wasn't allowed, and force you to change it...but let you keep the ID that the first name gave you.
    What I'm wondering is what this was actually considered...?

There was something like that for PSOX. Anyways, here's a copy/paste straight from the GameFAQs codes section for PSOX

NOTE:You need to be able to log online for this trick to work.
    To get the section ID you want and be able to change names without a problem, create a new character and set him the way you want. For his name if you insert a letter followed by the letters periods g.o.d (all lowercase) you will get a section ID. example:P g.o.d which will give you a yellowboze. If you sign into Xbox Live with that character it will immediately give you the error about changing your name always. By using this glitch you can make any ID and be able to use a name that normally wouldn't get that ID.
    A g.o.d - Bluefull, I g.o.d - Greenill, E g.o.d - Oran, M g.o.d - Pinkal... etc.

I used the one where you typed something like V1.013 or something like that. I suppose it's a glitch then? Well, I suppose the "super 1337" people who are completely opposed to "drizzling" would absolutely hate this. Whatever, those types can piss-off as far as I care. =)

Once my brother typed some random made-up word on PSO Ep. 3 and it wouldn't let him use it. Also when he typed it in the chat bubble (offline as we can't go online) it censored it.
    Family guy-Stewie>>>'Brian, i'll be surrounded by sea men. Sperm whales and sea men. oh look, a swallow.' <<<<<<best line ever.

i'd just call it a glitch