Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 2012 end?

or maybe, they just stopped, figuring their decendants would finish it without, y'know, FREAKING OUT ABOUT NOTHING

I r i s - 13X -VaDewearl (3X)

Meh, like some old random people from like, what, the 800's or something? Tell me how they'd know. Back then, and really before around just the 1600's, nobody knew anything about almost anything. Just guesses I believe.

(And I agree with Ryno... however I don't want to get an argument started on that...)
    Gamertag: inf3rn0 Lan
    Lan Katana│Male│Newman│Lv150│fT 20
    Malsa Powers│Female│Newman│Lv150│AT 20
    PSO2β: マルサ・パワーズ|Force lv17

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

On 2008-02-22 15:08, KaneKahn wrote:
    On 2008-02-21 21:26, SylviaEspada wrote:
    Oh hay, you guys seem to have forgotten about good ol LHC

Although it's all theories and such, the fact that we won't know until it's turned on in May this year is a bit scary.
    What is your point of randomness with this? It is just a Large Hadron Collider. There is no way streaming Atom/Molecule A towards Atom/Molecule B at near light speeds could end the world. Unless you are going with how much energy it drains each time you even just turn on the lights. Even then it'd take thousands of years to use up enough fossil fuel energy to blanket the world in pollution.
    Idiot question: What the hell is that?

A gigantic 27km long from beginning to end underground particle accelerator.
    Reason not to CCF. Bored of listening to MP3s?

Code:
    We don't compromise. You shouldn't either. If guns kill people, then...
    -Pencils miss spel words. -Cars make people drive drunk. -Spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Shado the Nostalgic

On 2008-02-29 02:13, KaneKahn wrote:
    its going to relese tiny black holes that could concume earth, although this has been proven false, because the tiny black holes would be deterioated by a certian radiation. I think they are worrying about the radiation though, it could cause damage of some sort?

2012 won't be the end, because remember, Y2K was supposed to own the world back into the stoneages or something and we are still doing fine today.

This really is much ado about nothing.

I wouldn't be too worried about it quite yet, I remember seeing something about another galaxy that's supposed to collide with this one, but that'll be in like 10,000 years, plenty of time. Then there's the sun going nova, but that'll probly take another 10 million (or was it billion? I forget) or something, I'm not too worried.

On 2008-02-21 16:44, Sinue_v2 wrote:
    the mayan calender sais it is the end of the world.
    lol, no. The end of the Mayan Calendar is no more ominous than Dec 31st on the Gregorian calendar. It's just a lot longer. People love a good scare though. We watch horror movies, ride roller coasters, pensively watch the terror alert status, claim GW is going to turn Earth into Venus if we don't all drive hybrids, and make apocalyptic predictions. It's almost a shame the Cold War ended, but hey, we're working on starting a new one.

Anyhow, no - the end isn't in 2012. However, you might want to keep an eye out for the Technological Singularity, which some predict will be here by as early as 2020. No idea what that might mean for humanity, so it's not so much a doomsday as it is a big question mark. After the singularity, nobody can make any predictable forecasts of technology or the future.

Me, I'm looking forward to it. Transhumanism? Fuck Yeah!

If there were a comet approaching, we'd already know about it.
    Actually, we probably wouldn't. I think the best estimates of known NEO's Tunguska sized or larger is about 20%. I've heard it compaired to Rummys famous "Knowns, Known Unknowns, and Unknown Unknowns." The ratio of Known Unknow and Unknown Unknown objects far supersceeds the objects we do know about and can track.

Edit:
    they say its small yea that makes me feel good lol, but a COMET PPLANET?
    Do you mean Nibiru? Some claim it is returning around 2012, but usually only tin-foil hatters and neo-spiritualists. I haven't read much of Zecharia Sitchin's work, but I've read some of Worlds in Collision by Immanuel Velikovsky. The two authors are very similar in that they try to reconcile astronomy/geology/biology/etc with various world religions to try to fill in what they call a "collective amnesia". Interesting, but little more than pseudoscience full of holes, leaps of faith, and inaccuracies, and flights of fancy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2008-02-21 18:30 ]</font>
    Yay, another boondocks fan.

Quoting Metal Gear Solid. "Just live."

On 2008-02-29 07:07, elainesangel9 wrote:
    On 2008-02-29 02:13, KaneKahn wrote:
    its going to relese tiny black holes that could concume earth, although this has been proven false, because the tiny black holes would be deterioated by a certian radiation. I think they are worrying about the radiation though, it could cause damage of some sort?
    That is basically what I said. If there is one created it'll be so small and so insignificant that it'd either collapse under it's own pressures or burst due to the lack of matter to fuel it.
    Reason not to CCF. Bored of listening to MP3s?

Code:
    We don't compromise. You shouldn't either. If guns kill people, then...
    -Pencils miss spel words. -Cars make people drive drunk. -Spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

although this has been proven false, because the tiny black holes would be deterioated by a certian radiation.
    Hawking Radiation. And it hasn't been observed or measured yet, so no-one actually knows if it really exists or if he's completely wrong.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!