View Poll Results: I need some opinions on this. For my cast it was either Protranser or Fortegunner.

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rifle

27 48.21%
  • Longbow

18 32.14%
  • Either is good

11 19.64%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

bows always felt a little quicker to level. i enjoy both though.

teranite and gumbah parties

bows just look so much cooler, far more elegant than those little sticks yall call rifles

On 2008-03-16 21:24, pikachief wrote:
    On 2008-03-16 21:14, Turambar wrote:
    Rifles shoot at about double the speed of bows, negating any damage advantage they might have. Coupled with the fact that bows "lock you down" until its shot animation finishes in first person mode means you don't hit moving aerial targets all that well.

Of course, the fact that the enemies have pathetic amounts of HP and will die after 2-3 shots when you're in a party makes any of this other than looks moot anyways.
    double? i didnt notice much of a difference at all when my friend tested it standing side by side shooting....
    there's something wrong with your eyes then...

On 2008-03-16 22:36, Phantomface wrote:
    bows just look so much cooler, far more elegant than those little sticks yall call rifles
    Rifles are too large or thick for a stick...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ashley50 on 2008-03-16 22:55 ]</font>

SFS/Nth Gen Interactive Rayokarna's Avatar

Bows go ignores enemy defence. I prefer rifles cause they do what they need to do paired with rifles. Even if they don't do it as fast. And look much better doing it too.

I've always preferred rifles over bows, simply due to the fact that they fire faster. Bows have that annoying delay before the shot, though they currently level up a HELLUVA lot faster than rifles do. Those are the only real significant differences I see between the two weapon types... I think they should've made them less similar, personally. =/

Bows DO probably have it better as far as looks go, though. As good a rifle as the Phantom is, it looks like a damn block or something... thank God the S rank rifles look alright. >_<

My FFXIV:ARR Lodestone Page
    3DS Friend Code: 0318-8097-4335
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Hearthstone

On 2008-03-16 21:14, Turambar wrote:
    Rifles shoot at about double the speed of bows, negating any damage advantage they might have. Coupled with the fact that bows "lock you down" until its shot animation finishes in first person mode means you don't hit moving aerial targets all that well.

Of course, the fact that the enemies have pathetic amounts of HP and will die after 2-3 shots when you're in a party makes any of this other than looks moot anyways.
    The only long range weapon that has 998 ATP and 402 ACC is the longbow known as the Rikauteri while he Killer Elic has 927 ATP and 237 ACC making it the most powerful rifle. 998 ATP and 402 ACC vs 927 ATP and 237 ACC. Not to mention, bow bullets are much stronger than rifle bullets and that plus the accuracy destroys the rifle.

Even a Beast with abysmal accuracy of no more than 360 ACC as PT can hit a lot of criticals and never miss unlike the rifle.

I wonder how a beast does with the Gudda Iggac. 702 ACC.

The Mormegil

I don't think I ever argued that rifle bullets do more damage than Bow bullets on a shot by shot basis. The speed of the two weapons however means rifles deal more damage overall. Not to mention who cares are the ATA difference? I'm pretty sure a Fortegunner (who else can use S-rank rifles?) can hit more or less anything consistently, beast or not.

I have to say bow. If nothing else for the damage.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

On 2008-03-17 02:02, KayinCloud wrote:
    I have to say bow. If nothing else for the damage.
    Rifles deal more damage than Bows, and thats before the PA update.

Rifles don't deal more damage than bows. They deal way more damage than bows.