Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Witty dialogue and being able to continue off clear data.

Also little details, like proper water effects and small things you wouldn't notice right away but are nice.

Hmm, lets see...

1.When the game doesn´t tell me 24/7 exactly what to do and where to go.

2.When you get to beat the shit of a villian..that differ from typical predictable ones.

3.The "mage" characer in the game delivers fantastics fireworks kinda magic..anything that just spell awesome.

4.When you finally accomplished beating a game on the highest difficulty.

5.No longdrawn story that you could care less about..no more like..cut to the chase. =)

6.Music affects alot..it could do a world of difference actually.
    7.Atmosphere is a great deal too..when you just can´t wait to explore some more...then you know that you are hooked. =D

Things that popped up in my head ftm..might add some more later.
    [PSO2] Darkante: Cast HU-44/RA-43/FI-42/GU-30
    Astral Storm: Newman F HU-35
    [PSP2:I]
    RB3 - Dark Knight "Ante" : Cast M Lv 200/ JLv Hu50/Ra50/F30/Va46
    RB3 - Crimson Sky: Beast F Lv 174/ JLv Hu34/Ra18/Fo1/Va50
    RB0 - Zone Dynamite: Beast M Lv 76/ JLv Hu0/Ra7/Fo0/Va0

On 2008-03-20 08:38, darkante wrote:

2.When you get to beat the shit of a villian..that differ from typical predictable ones.
    i will agree on this one, when you really get to unload on a boss or give him a really good combo that just gets you a little more into the hard fight.

i will add to that:

-i love when they'll skimp on "getting hit animations" so you can keep your combo going while taking the damage of an attack. i hate hate hateeee to be doing an amazing move, and then having your character completely stop because some bad guy(which will hardly do any damage to you) kicked you in the shin while you were "charging" an attack. i love when they just give you the damage when you take small, meaningless hits, and they let you keep doing your own thing.

Good plots. Ones you don't see coming.
    Coming Soon!

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Good music. A beautiful mountain top is worthless if the music is lame. A good soundtrack can add alot to a gaming experience.

Getting to play as a unique character, or someone you like. It feels so much better to enjoy the character you're playing as than playing as the next generic Cloud ripoff.

Sad-eyed blue-haired holy-elemental female characters with lances and heavy armor. Not very common, so I'll take any combination of the above. There are a few cases where said character exist though, but they don't get much screen time.

Water areas. If done well, they provide a break from the usual gameplay and make you feel so far away from the troubles of the story. Not to mention, they tend to be more of a challenge than the other areas. Water people are a plus.

Fun game play. Many games seem to forget this. Something where simply playing is a joy in itself, and getting something accomplished is an added bonus. It doesn't matter how well the swordsman carries his lance, or how big the magician makes his explosion, how how sad that girl's eyes are, if the game simply isn't fun to play.

A world's story. I like feeling like I'm in another world when playing a game. FFXI did this well, everything in the game had a story behind it. Every time you unlock a class, you find a bit about its story through gameplay. As you get into the 60s, you find out more via artifact armor quests. Dungeons had stories behind them, those big teleporting buildings had stories behind them, each race had a story behind them, there was a reason for everything. Even if you didn't find story about the world, you found story about the common person, adding in depth to the city you're in.

Monsters attacking you for a reason. There are so many times when you simply have to accept the fact that there are aggressive monsters. Now, you're telling me people have lived for thousands of years with creatures capable of taking out entire cities thirsting for human blood appearing every four steps? I at least want to hear that a wizard made them, or they were created by a mad scientist, or that they're only attacking you and nobody else, something that makes some sense. I enjoy when I get this explanation, since it makes it seem like the makers put some thought into their product.

I'm sure I have more that I can't think of, but this should do for now.

Straight jackets are all the rage this season. RavenTW's Avatar

On 2008-03-19 19:27, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
    When a game doesn't need a damn story and KNOWS that so it doesn't even try! Monster Hunter again comes to mind.
    Or, when a game doesn't need a damn story, and so instead focuses on kickass character devleopment (The Soul Edge/Calibur series comes to mind)
    Nope, no pictures here. Move along.

Being able to tear through thousands of enemies, and felling like you actually did it. (IEevil May Cry)

Getting to choose between several (dangerously cheesy) voices for your character(s) in games where appropriate. Do you want stereotypical screaming female soundtrack A, B, C, or D? YOU DECIDE!

Music that's kickass enough that I could keep it on my PSP and have it rest somewhere between my Dragonforce and Bump of Chicken folders. Doing rock right (which very few games do), having music that fits the atmosphere AND is memorable (again a rarity), and doing rock right WHILE fitting the atmosphere (utterly rare). Thunder Force IV, King's Field series and Castlevania Rondo of Blood remake respectively are my favorite examples.

Some Jpop/Jrock that can bring out my inner weaboo AND not make me puke.

And, a game HAVING MORE THAN ONE REALLY GOOD SONG DAMMIT!

Good ambience and atmosphere without any music. A game that says "I don't need any damn music". Monster Hunter is a good example as long as you're not in town (great music) or fighting a big battle (okay music).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2008-03-22 00:42 ]</font>

blind-firing - my favourite thing about gears - my first 360 game it made me really feel like it was next gen lol.
    I'm straight, so what?