Page 1 of 28 123411 ... LastLast

Default Renaissance: (Chapter 52: See the Invisible)

All right, back to work. On the off chance you're new, it's fine to use this as a starting point though the full story starts here.

1: “Boy Meets Girl” or “Ass Meets Foot”

For some people, a train ride can be a bitch. The narrow corridors of a car can be downright claustrophobic and the incessant rattling can make any type of focus unachievable. Their tummies get the wonderful treat of unpredictable bumps in the road to unsettle them. When compounded by horrid seating arrangements, the beast man lying atop three crates pushed together becomes one of those people.

“Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean…” is his mantra that keeps his sanity grounded. He’s already made some attempts to make himself more comfortable in this poorly lit car of cargo; his purple coat is lying on the ground, thrown there without any regard for its condition. That’s left him in a pair of high boots, a slightly puffy pair of black pants and a white button up shirt. “Light, it’s hot,” he says. He could probably help that a little by undoing the cravat tied around his neck, but no, that’d just be blasphemy.

“Yo, mister noble fella!” It’s a deep voice that booms from one of the car entrances. The man lets out a brief groan and with a jerk, lifts himself up from the boxes he’s lying on. As he rubs the back of his shaven head, his green eyes shift into focus on the other beast man entering the car. “You don’t look so good buddy, you all right?” he asks.

The ‘noble fella’ strokes the bridge of his nose, clutching it tightly every time the train hits a bump. “I’m just a touch prone to motion sickness, nothing to show concern over,” he says. “Did you need something?”

“Nah, you can lie down,” the man says. He taps the nanotransformer on his wrist which brings up a holographic screen. “I’m just doing the inventory.” It’s mostly just green figures and lines unreadable from just about any distance, but the Tenora Works logo is clear enough to see at the top of the screen. He starts with the nearest box, peeling open the top side and hunching over to examine the contents.

The noble nods and gently sets himself back on his makeshift bed. Once settled, he says, “again, I appreciate the ride, however much my body seems to disapprove.”

“Hey, forget it; beasts gotta look out for each other, right?” It’s said with warmth, as seen in the smile and heard in deep bellied laughter. Despite that, the man lying on the boxes replies with a simple hum, devoid of any reciprocation. “Actually, we’re glad to have you on board. Lately, there’s this rogue hanging out on this route,” he says while shutting the box he was checking.

“Yes, I heard from the engineer that we may experience a robbery,” he says. In what could be considered contrary to what he just said, his interest in the conversation hasn’t piqued. Rather, he says it as if he was told there was a chance for rain along the way.

“You oughta sound more scared than that man. Last train was loaded up with something like fifty guard robots; got ripped through like they were nothing.” Despite the advisement, the travelsick man still makes no move to show any concern. He just continues to stare up at the ceiling with his eyes out of focus. Try as he may to shut out external stimuli, the Tenora employee just keeps on yapping. “Those rogues are flippin’ crazy. We’ve got freaking aliens torching our towns and they’re still stealing things like business as usual.”

“Some people see opportunity in crisis,” the man says. He’s made no motions to make eye contact with the employee, perfectly content to talk to the ceiling. “The existence of such rubbish cannot be helped.”

“Yeah…still, just pisses me off we got bums like that making us beasts look like criminals, you know?”

“Yes,” the noble replies, sitting up to do so. “I do know.” Before he can stare determinedly into the distance and steel his resolve, a bump on the track knocks him onto his back, reminding him that is stomach is still very much in disagreement with this ride. “Ugh…”

“Hey, hang in there!” The employee shuts the box that completes his inventory check and makes for the door he came from, but not before offering a bit of reassurance in saying “we hit the underwater track soon. Smooth sailing there, like butter!”

“Sounds lovely.” He’s certainly not talking about the alarm going off and wailing bloody murder. “Well, speak of the devil,” he says as grimaces, gathering strength to rise. “I suppose a touch of adrenaline is just the medicine the doctor ordered. Where is that coming from?”

“Car 3!” he says, pulling his hand off the radio on his ear lobe. “Crap, we didn’t have time to load any of the Bomaltas!”

While the grunt panics into his radio, the noble bends over to scoop his coat off the ground and throw it over a shoulder. He then makes to leave for, presumably, car 3 without a word of reassurance, opting instead to pop a cigarette into his mouth.

A few loading screens later, the alarm has ceased, leaving the much more neatly arranged car 3 to serve as a quiet battleground. The crates here are all lined up against the walls, leaving a narrow path down the middle for walking. At the other end of the car, the thief is rummaging through a box with her back turned. She’s singing Sonic Heroes; while she’s singing fine, the song’s upbeat lyrics don’t really suit her deep, throaty voice.

“You’re dressed rather conservatively for a rogue,” says the man. The woman looks up, brushing some of her black curls out of the way, to see who’s paying her such a nice compliment to her white sweat ensemble. Having her attention, the man smirks and continues, “when they told me about a rogue, I was expecting heels, hot pants, a low cut blouse, maybe an eye patch; you know, something slutty.”

“Oh, thanks!” she replies. Her outfit is certainly a stark contrast to what the man has described. Between her sweatpants and sweatjacket, the only creamy white skin that he can get a glimpse of is on her midriff, her face and just a smidge of her collarbone.

“It wasn’t a compliment,” he says. He ditches his coat on a box to his left as he steps further into the car. With both hands free, he can finally light the cigarette he’s been carrying in his mouth the way over. “I’m quite disappointed actually.”

“Hmph, you think you’re disappointed? Here I am robbing a train on a clear, moonlit night and instead of the tall and dashing gentleman, I get the shrimp nerd in plaid suspenders.” With a huff through her full, pink lips, she turns her attention back to the boxes she was looking through.

The man tucks his thumb beneath one of his suspenders and pulls, as if he can chide the thing into telling him why people think they look dorky. Of course, that yields no result, leaving him to sneer at having his fashion sense insulted. “Charming. Moving along; could I ask you to stop robbing this train?” he asks.

“You could,” she says, while pulling a cluster of metal from the box she’s working on. She turns it over on all sides to examine it, not paying a moment’s worth of eye contact to the man, whose eye is twitching more violently by the second. “I just wouldn’t expect too much.

“Tch, as expected. Well then…” He raises his left arm and taps a button on the nanotransformer wrapped around it. His line shield projects a field of countless green hexagons fitted to every curve and contour of his body, none of them larger than a dime, all of which disappear as quickly as they flashed into view. A second tap causes the form of a wand to melt into his hand from the sparkles that spill from the device. “It seems I’ll just have to make you. For you see, if you successfully steal anything, they have to stop and file a full report; and I don’t want to be on this light forsaken relic any longer than necessary.”

The woman’s pace is sluggish at first, lightly setting down the device she was examining and pushing herself up to her feet with a deliberate effort of the legs. And from there, it’s all out fury; she whips around with a dagger in hand and dashes full stride down the car for a surprise attack. It seems it fails though, as the man’s reaction is nothing of surprise; he calmly taps his nanotransformer a third time as she makes her way over and holds out the palm sized cylinder he gets from it. As the curved blade of the dagger is about to strike him, its red glow dies, leaving a hollow glass shell in its place, which impacts harmlessly against his line shield.

“One perk of being the son of Yohmei’s CEO…” he starts, “is that I get an override switch for all Yohmei made products. That mimimi-zashi is worthless against me,” he finishes, flashing a smile. “Though on behalf of his shareholders, I thank you for choosing-“ he doesn’t get to finish, as he’s now dodging a second dagger pulled out during his yapping. Missing that attack, the woman hops back and purses her lips at this development.

“Most people usually get caught straight out by that surprise attack,” she says, twirling the new dagger around on her finger. “So, son of Yohmei…that makes you Johann Launcher, right?”

“Mm, a zashic. Lovely. Well, you’ve heard of me, but I’m afraid I must insist that it’s Dr. Johann Launcher to the likes of you.” The crescent shaped photon fixture on his wand fizzles to a bright white which allows Johann to swing his wand forward and shoot a white ball of light for his trouble.

“No M.D?” She smacks the Grants with the backside of her fist, dispersing it like bad gas. “Eww.”

“I wouldn’t let that go to your head. Grants is a weak technic no matter who’s casting it,” he says with clenched teeth and a bowed head.

“Oh? Then why not use the good stuff?” the woman asks, tilting her head. “Hmm, I guess you really can’t on a moving train.” She turns her back, further infuriating the beast, and waves her hand in the air lazily. “Well, what I’m looking for doesn’t seem to be on this train. So, we don’t really need to fight, right?”

“What? Don’t be absurd-“

“Shh. It works out perfectly for you, don’t you think?” She turns around on her heel, producing an audible scrape that makes Johann’s very fine and sensitive ears tremble with the pitch. “Your plan A screwed up in not thinking I’d have an illegal copy of my usual weapon. How exactly is a fortetecher going to win without using any good technics?”

“…” is the uncomfortable sigh Johann offers to that question.

“Exactly. You don’t even seem like the type that’d use his nanoblast on a human. So, you rushed in without thinking your plan through, and you’re getting off pretty light. Next time though, I’ll expect you to treat me to a proper night like a gentleman.” She walks up with her zashic still in hand, causing Johann to jump. “Let’s shake on it!”

His natural laziness finally manages to edge out his pride; he sheathes his wand and extends his free right hand to shake. Once their hands clasp together, Johann’s face flushes with dread as his hand closes around the freeze trap. The woman’s face lights up with a grin. “Idiot,” she says. From the clasped hands, a clear blue and sticky ooze explodes from the cracks and quickly hardens into ice, locking them together. With a single jerk, she pulls him close, body to body, and threads her dagger wielding arm through his under arm and over his opposite shoulder, so the hook of her dagger is poised to tear his throat.

“Careless…well, do it. I don’t grovel.” It’s a defiant tone; he’s nearly spitting while saying it.

“Yeesh, you don’t have to be melodramatic. I’m a thief, not a murderer. I’m just making a point.” The point’s surely made by now, what, with Johann grinding his teeth, absolutely livid with his own newbery. Yet, she hasn’t moved the dagger an inch and he’s still getting a noseful of the scent of peaches. “Still, it does seem unfair I came all this way and have to leave empty handed. Bear with me, this might hurt a bit.” It’s probably possible to further understate a knee to the ‘nads, but it says more than enough to Johann whose eyes do a backflip before he slumps to his knees.

“Yoo hoo, still with me?” she asks as she bends down with him. He is, albeit scraping the ground, trying desperately to ride out the shock. She leans in close, so close that her lips graze his ear when she whispers, “my name is Gwendolyn Milady. Until next time, curse it all you like.”

A few minutes later, Johann is able to get up, albeit staggering on the first few steps. He takes stock of the situation, whipping his head around to find his opponent with no luck. Then, he has a look at himself, and finds with great dismay, “the trollop cleaned me out. She only left my wand and shield.” It takes a few more moments to sink in, but soon, he lets out a fierce scream of rage accompanied by a punch to the car’s wall. His fist trembles after the strike, but he’s too busy frothing to pay it any mind.

“Hey, great job, you ran her off!” a voice calls. The beast turns his head to see the employee from before running in from the door he used prior. Johann levels a dead stare at the man before turning his head back to see that indeed, none of the boxes have been pilfered.

“Yeah. Great. Just splendid.”

~~~~

The enjoyment of writing fanfiction, to me, is in making the world make sense. So, I’ve a habit for taking concepts that should be exclusive to gameplay and applying them to narrative. Starting this chapter, I will elaborate on some of my rationalizations for these adaptations in my new segment…

Connect the Dots!

Ahem. So, today’s lesson is in Hex Purity. Its game parallel, as you might guess, is HP. For the most part, none of the characters here are anymore durable than they should be; stick a sword in them and they’ll bleed and die. The reason this doesn’t happen then, is that a portion of their photons project themselves to form protective barriers. Unassisted by a line shield, this barrier is messy and rather inefficient.

However, since most everyone uses a line shield, that’s where the hex part comes in. The shield augments the barrier’s defensive ability, but that’s a different lesson. As a barrier becomes polluted with enemy photons, generally coming from attacks, its purity decreases, compromising its defensive ability. In its weakest state (in the yellow), the most polluted hexes will become visible, basically pointing at where the enemy should direct their next attacks.

While vital functions can be preserved between a line shield and the natural barrier, any damage suffered by the barrier is felt by its user as well. So, it’s still quite important to dodge, for in the end, no one can have more HP than they do willpower. Moreover, a severe hit can incapacitate a fighter through the shock of the pain felt; this is actually the principle behind Megid and Killer Shot. Incidentally, a groin shot comes with a Level 10 Incap effect. See? There’s a reason girls have more STA than boys.
    Last edited by Xaeris; Apr 19, 2009 at 05:29 PM.

Great work, as always. Looking forward to next week.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

On 2008-03-26 18:20, Xaeris wrote:
    Incidentally, a groin shot comes with a Level 10 Incap effect. See? There’s a reason girls have more STA than boys.
    Makes sense to me. Look forward to seeing more of Gwen.

Now, this is a story all about how
    My life got flipped-turned upside down
    And I liked to take a minute
    Just sit right there
    I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel Air

In west Philadelphia born and raised
    On the playground was where I spent most of my days
    Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
    And all shootin some b-ball outside of the school
    When a couple of guys
    Who were up to no good
    Startin making trouble in my neighborhood
    I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
    She said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air'

I begged and pleaded with her day after day
    But she packed my suite case and send me on my way
    She gave me a kiss and then she gave me my ticket.
    I put my walkman on and said, 'I might as well kick it'.

First class, yo this is bad
    Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass.
    Is this what the people of Bel-Air Living like?
    Hmmmmm this might be alright.

But wait I hear there're prissy, wine all that
    Is Bel-Air the type of place they send this cool cat?
    I don't think sow
    I'll see when I get there
    I hope they're prepared for the prince of Bel-Air

Well, the plane landed and when I came out
    There was a dude who looked like a cop standing there with my name out
    I ain't trying to get arrested
    I just got here
    I sprang with the quickness like lightening, disappeared

I whistled for a cab and when it came near
    The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror
    If anything I can say this cab is rare
    But I thought 'Now forget it' - 'Yo homes to Bel Air'

I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8
    And I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo homes smell ya later'
    I looked at my kingdom
    I was finally there
    To sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air

That's evil.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

Sorry; I just love me some shenanigans.

2: “A Noble Acquaintance”

It’s been several hours since Johann’s unwelcome lesson in humility. At his train’s stop, he stomps off, deliberately kicking up sand which each step. He’s no further than a few steps from the tracks when he gets a shout out.

“Yo, mister noble!” calls the inventory keeping employee. His target turns his head over his shoulder, returning a stare that just barely masks a whole mess of irritation. “You sure this is an okay stop?”

It’s not a bad question. Where Johann is getting off, there are three things in addition to the sand: sand, a lot of sand, and some more sand. The sun’s high in the open sky, and he’s just starting to get a whiff of the slowly heating heels of his boots. But no, some fools just gotta go bobsledding in the desert. He says, “yes, it’s fine. I have some business nearby.”

“Well…if you say so. I’ll tell the conductor to get a move on. You take care now, and thanks again!” The noble winces with those last few words and slaps himself over an eye. He mutters something along the lines of ‘yes, of course,’ and starts to trudge along towards wherever he’s going. However hot it is, the idea of abandoning his shirt, suspenders, and cravat remains as foreign as ever, and as a result, it’s not long until he’s carrying a couple extra pounds from his sweat soaked shirt. Well, no matter; it’s also not long until he comes upon a fence, stacked several rows of lasers high. Not like those little two rows the rest of us see that could be hopped over in a jump. Honestly, how do those keep anyone out? If there’s a giant, fire breathing alligator behind you, methinks you could manage the leap. But we digress.

“Surely this is the place,” he says, hoping maybe that will open the entrance. ‘Course, it doesn’t. “Maybe one of the other sides.” It takes him fifteen minutes round the perimeter of the area until he finds a construct in the fence that could be an entrance. He extends an arm towards the panel installed, but before he can hit any buttons, the fence in the doorway disappears. He stares at it blankly for a moment, with his hand still outstretched, but walks in with a shrug.

“Good afternoon, Mr. Launcher,” says a compressed voice. It’d be the same sort of sound if it were someone speaking through a closed bathroom door. “You had a good trip, I hope?” From dead ahead, a large cast, who doesn’t remotely match his voice, comes walking to greet Johann at the entry. His frame is wide across the shoulders and thin across the hips, making it an engineering marvel that the torso doesn’t snap off in mid step. The beast has to shield his eyes from the bright shine reflecting off his lustrous silver shine and as such, only realizes that the cast has made it all the way over when his body casts a large shadow over him.

“It’s doctor, actually.” Yes, because correcting seven foot tall pieces of moving metal on honorifics is the eighth secret habit of highly successful people.

“My apologies then. May I see your note of introduction?” he asks. With a few button pushes of his nanotransformer, Johann complies. It’s a dense script of paper, but the cast scans over it within seconds and hands it back with a nod of the head. “Excellent. My name is Goschats Capoz; my official rank in the AMF is major, but for the interim, I am serving as warden for this facility.”

The doctor lights up a smoke, in spite of the fact it’s no cooler than it was when he was wringing sweat from his cravat. “You’ll have to forgive me major, but I’m not much for trading pleasantries where there’s no prospect of fornication involved.”

“That’s fair. I find this practice rather pointless as well. Since we both agree, I’ll brief you on the situation while we head to my office,” he says, turning to lead the way.

Johann cocks an eyebrow and tilts his head. “Your office?”

“Yes, your partner arrived here before you did, but she didn’t have a note of introduction, so we detained her,” Goschats says. That, however, does nothing for ails Johann’s neck. Still, he leaves it at that, figuring it’ll be clear soon enough. They walk down the sandy path, amidst some barracks until they reach the one furthest along, overlooking something like a construction pit far below. They enter, and much to Johann’s audible relief, the inside is air conditioned. Oddly enough, now he chooses to pull his cravat loose from his neck.

“Oh that’s heavenly…” he mutters as his eyes flutter out of focus.

“Jo-chan!” That’s more than enough to pull him off cloud nine and look for who just used such a ludicrous term to address him. Given how empty the room is, it’s a quick search. The owner of the high pitched, puberty stricken voice is at the other end of the room seated at a desk with a caseal.

“Miss Seisha.” It’s a simple greeting, accompanied by the very slightest of smiles. Johann leaves Goschats’ side to walk over to the girl who gets just barely enough time to get out of her seat by the time he gets over. It’s a seat made for a much larger person, so she practically has to jump and fall forward onto her knees. “It’s been a while,” he says after she gets onto her feet.

“But you’re still as snooty as ever,” she says while hurriedly picking away the light blue strands of hair that are still swishing about in front of her face.

A huff of smoke in her round face is all she gets for that insult. Well, that, and a half hearted reprimand, “it’s proper for nobles to address each other by title, Keiko.”

“Yeah, like I’m calling you ‘Sir Launcher’ anytime this century,” she replies pointedly. No, literally, she’s got a finger between his eyes; the nail polish’s scent makes his eyes water. Or is that the cancer stick’s smoke? It’s hard to tell.

“Uh huh. Well, as much as I enjoy good repartee, I’m behind schedule,” turning back to Goschats who’s only now bringing up the rear. “If you would, lead me to the Relics area now please.”

Simultaneous with his turn, Keiko runs forward ahead of him so that she doesn’t leave his sight. “Hey, hey, hey, aren’t you even going to ask how and why I’m here?!”

“I might, but let’s ask ourselves; would I really care?” he asks before threading his cravat back around his collar. Keiko rolls her eyes with a shrug, acceding to that answer.

“If you’re both done, then please follow me Dr. Launcher,” first nodding to Johann, then to “Miss Seisha.” Keiko nods and takes point in front of Johann who lets out a sigh at the idea of leaving this air conditioned bliss. “Jocaste, I should be back in fifteen minutes,” says Goschats with a salute to the caseal that Keiko was seated with.

“Affirmative Major.”

Outside, the three are walking down the face of the cliff that leads to the construction pit where dozens of uniformed people are working. Mostly beasts, they’re picking away at large boulders, pushing carts around and doing other sorts of hard labor in a relatively primitive fashion. Well, there is one piece of advanced technology at work; there’s a giant red mecha, known best for molesting many a techer, breaking foundation.

“What is this place…?” Keiko asks, bringing up more and more of the rear the closer they get to reaching the bottom.

“You come all the way out here and don’t even know that? Look around you, Keiko,” Johann replies, gesturing to the laser fence to get her started. From there, she notes several more of the same barracks from above at the bottom, all with the same sort of fence set up.

“This is a prison?” she concludes.

“Indeed,” Goschats intervenes, “up until recently, this area was a rogue hideout. GRM commissioned the AMF for an experiment.”

“As it turns out, prisons are quite profitable,” Johann chimes in, “the Trade Federation pays GRM to run it, who in turn commissions the AMF oversee it.”

“Correct. The blockade on Moatoob is troublesome for our work, but we’re managing.” It’s a simple explanations, so there are no questions asked. Well, at least nothing specifically related to this.

“So what are you here for then, Jo-chan?” Keiko asks. Having had it explained to her that there are thieves and murderers among them, she’s back to leading the group down the ramp, oddly enough. Well, a pair of sneakers probably gets better traction on a slope than a pair of boots that don’t look like they were ever meant to be taken from the mannequin, so it’s not that odd.

“The major’s little work gang here came across the entrance to a Relics site in their digging. They notified GRM, who notified leading universities, who got together their leading authorities on A-photons, who assembled their whipping boys, i.e, grad students, who then fought amongst themselves to determine who’d conduct the preliminary excavation.”

“Oh, so it’s a big important job then?”

“Not really. It’s basically just turning on the A-photon reactor inside so later teams can go in.” And that brings them to the end of their walk of working inmates who’ve all stared them down as they walk by. Of course, they’re restrained by ankle bracelets, so they’re no threat; aside from the horrific odor anyway. They’re standing in front of a large door embedded in the ground, obviously leading to Relics just from looking at its design.

“Here it is. We’ve attempted to open it, but none of the force we can muster here can so much as place a dent in it. I’m afraid you may have wasted your time coming out here.”

Well geez, that’s just a challenge. Johann kneels down to examine the portion of the door at his feet. Keiko joins him, because, heaven help us the day you need a Ph.D to help open a door. Johann spends a little under a minute looking at it before getting up and addressing the major, “so, what have you tried?”

“Brute force, battering rams, explosives…”

“I see,” he says, pulling his wand from distortion space. The crescent moon head draws a stifled giggle from Keiko, which is quickly silenced by a dead glare. Nosmegid is the tech of the day; the pulsating black gravity well floats upwards…and drags the door up with it on the hinge. “Pull, don’t push. Easy mistake.”

“I…I see.” Getting outsmarted by a beast. That’s gotta sting.

Inside, the air is much cooler thanks to the draft that’s blowing through. Johann barely makes note of the draft thanks to hair which would make a fine landing strip and the suspenders that keep his shirt from billowing all over. Keiko, on the other hand, is having a touch more trouble keeping track of her arms in the baggy sleeves of her storia jacket.

“I believe it’s been three years now, hasn’t it Keiko?” Johann asks, distracting her from the draft that whistles through the empty halls. It’s a small wonder how this guy has managed to gain any levels with his talent for walking into unoccupied dungeons. “You’ve changed a good deal. To think, the little girl whose bed we had to put basil on as ‘monster repellant’ when she went to sleep is now Aegis the VIIth.”

“You just can’t give a straight compliment, can you Jo-chan?” she asks.

These Moatoob Relics aren’t unlike the ones on Parum or Neudaiz, but they have a few touches of their own. From the ceiling, sand is trickling into piles on the ground. The only light they’re getting is what can filter in from the outside through these cracks, so they’re basically using the sandfalls as flagposts, moving from one to the other to avoid getting lost.

“Hee hee, I made Aegis even faster than you did,” she says, keeping the conversation afloat seeing as there’s not much else to do. Fools. Look for the catilium.

“That hardly counts. The guntechers’ template was garbage; it was only a matter of time until someone replaced it,” he says, deciding to add a bit more light to the environment with, what else, a cigarette. “I’m still flabbergasted that someone licensed you to use a gun.” As said, it’s pretty dark and his back is turned, so he doesn’t see the stuck out tongue and pulled down eyelid he’s getting for that remark.

“I’ll have you know that my training is so far along, baa-chan taught me the family secret!” she declares so proudly, that there must be some sort of meaning to that. And indeed, Johann does look over his shoulder to squint at her face.

“…Rentis?” he asks.

“Yeah! I’ve only got one shield though,” she admits. “Better than you though.”

“Well pardon me for not being born a Seisha,” he says, allowing the slight chuckle in his voice to overtake the sentence towards the end. “Ah, we’re here. Excellent.”

Oh, boss fight already? All righty, one palette swapped De Ragnus coming right up. Much like the Denes Relics, the heart of these Relics is a giant amphitheater, which currently, the two nobles are standing at the top row of. Johann walks over to a console that overlooks the entire stadium and starts setting up shop.

Understandably, Keiko’s confused seeing as there’s nothing but empty space down below. So she asks, “Wait, this is it? Where’s the reactor?” Johann doesn’t bother himself looking up and instead, points to the ceiling. There, there’s a giant ring acting as a cradle for softly converging particles of white light. “Oh. But it’s already on.”

“Yes…curious. If the rest of the relics isn’t being powered, there must be something preventing the power flow.” Oh and right on cue, the area as a whole becomes…blander, somehow. Like the brightness switch has been turned low. Apprehension sets in on the pair as they cautiously look about, not really wanting to see what they’re looking for.

“J-Jo-chan, do you feel that?”

“Surely you jest. Even a newly made cast could feel this radiance.” From the halo above, a dragon descends, with two heads no less. Its scales are small and congruous, like chain links; looking from their distance, neither Johann or Keiko can even tell it has scales. Its heads are those of lions, complete with manes; one is spitting sand, the other lightning. The circle is complete. Other than that, it’s really just another dragon. Bird like squeal, swinging tails, etc.

The dragon descends in the middle of the theater, taking absolutely no time to find its prey. Keiko leans forward, as if the giant dragon will look any different just by moving forward a foot. “A Ryomengohg?”

“Close. Since this is the Moatoobian variety, I’d suppose the locals call it an Aldaga Diraga. Shall we?”

~~~~

Chapter 4, when this boss fight continues: hax, shenanigans, time to plan, you know the drill.

Connect the Dots!: Radiance 1

I’ll probably need more than a few lessons on this subject, but for this one, I’ll tell you the basics. The main use for the term is simply the maximum amount of photons an entity can store at one time. The more you have, the more you can allocate towards your stats.

So, in effect, radiance is simply total experience, and radiance level is just your level. Seriously. When you destroy a target, its photons are released and in the wake of that release, the body’s capacity for storage becomes a slight bit greater until enough is accumulated to reach the next level. If you were awake in chemistry, think of it as an electron jumping through an atom’s shells; the higher it goes, the more energy it needs to get to the next one.

Currently, the story is taking place in the time when Moatoob was unavailable for play in online mode, thus, the Guardians’ level cap is 50. This translates to a radiance cap of, well, 50 which is easily applied by the use of a standard issue limiter all licensed weapon users must have equipped.

Excellent, as always.

Hooray! I was away for awhile, but I'm all caught up now, good thing to know you're still going with this~. By the way, I can only take a guess that you have Keiko wearing full Storia in this? What color?

Whatever color you like; I find that when describing clothing, people already have one of the set color schemes in mind. You tell me Noble's Coat? I think purple. You tell me white Noble's Coat? I still think purple. So, I figure, better not to contradict that set mental image if the color's not of vital importance.

On 2008-04-06 13:55, Xaeris wrote:
    Whatever color you like; I find that when describing clothing, people already have one of the set color schemes in mind. You tell me Noble's Coat? I think purple. You tell me white Noble's Coat? I still think purple. So, I figure, better not to contradict that set mental image if the color's not of vital importance.
    Ah. Well, that's good then, leave it to the imagination.