Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

After spending the whole night reading about various video game series, I thought it would be illuminating to see what games the members of PSOW are particularly fond of.

Rather than just list the games, offer some analysis or explanation as to why you enjoy the particular games so much. Don't feel limited to 10, either.

In no particular order...and I apologize for the rather lengthy analysis for each game. I blame it on the 141 milligrams of caffeine flooding my system right now.

Devil May Cry: I got the DMC 5th Anniversary Box Set for Christmas, and even though the game is over seven years old, it still floored me. It's stylish, engaging, and has about the most satisfying difficulty level I've experienced. It's hard enough to make you rethink your strategies, but not so mindlessly difficult that you can't get through if you play smartly enough. The subtly cheesy storyline is also a plus, as it comes across as an B-movie of epic proportions.

Pokemon (specifically Blue and Silver): Pokemon Blue was the first video game I ever took seriously, and it had a huge influence on me. It was around sixth grade, and I totally devoured the game. Exploring Kanto, catching various critters, raising up a strong team, defeating Team Rocket, eventually fooling around with the MISSINGNO. glitch...all of it was awesome. Silver was more of the same, but even more refined: better graphics, more monsters, the calendar...this game is about the only GBC game I still play.

Super Smash Bros.: Melee is definitely a classic (and I still need to get Brawl!), but I'll always have the fondest memories of the original. It was my first console game, and it was (and still is, to some extent) one of the few games where I usually dominate all my peers. Smashing my way through to Master Hand, unlocking the hidden characters without using a guide, and playing it with my dad were just a few of the pleasures of this gem. I still remember a few specific epic matches, to say nothing of the two hour binge of it I had Saturday night with three good friends.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Quite simply, one of the most epic and cinematic games I've played. Every element of this game added up to a masterpiece: the atmosphere, the amazing soundtrack, the rather excellent storyline, the memorable characters and dungeons. That first time versus Ganon was something else. Even though the game has a totally sweeping scope, it still has a sense of humor - did you try to catch the Running Man of Hyrule Field? I've played through this game so many times, and yet it's still totally memorable each time.

killer7: When I saw the original trailer for this (back when it was announced alongside P.N.03, Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, and Dead Phoenix), I was immediately impressed by how stylish and evocative it was. But those initial impressions did nothing to prepare me for the actual game. I wasn't ready for the ridiculously stylized violence, nor the rather postmodern political story of East versus West. Definitely one of the weirdest games I've ever played, the combination of high-end politics, postmodern weirdness, and gritty plot matter made killer7 irresistible.

Earthbound: This reigns as one of the most charming games ever. How can one not be enticed by the thought of living out a stylized, quirky comic book adventure? Psychic neighborhood kids battle the ultimate alien evil...from the future! While the game almost always has its tongue planted firmly in-cheek, the more sincere storyline elements of friendship and heroism always struck me as being rather poignant. True, the combat was pretty cut-and-paste, but the game's sense of style (not to mention the fantastic localization job on the script) saved it from being a boring RPG-lite misadventure.

Chrono Trigger: Hey, it's just a day at the fair until you end up on an epic time-traveling quest to save the world from a seemingly inescapable evil, right? By using time-traveling as a central plot element, Chrono Trigger was able to exploit many different popular settings for an RPG - futuristic, dystopian, prehistoric, medieval, and semi-modern. Unlike many later RPGs, all the characters (except maybe Marle ) are fully useful in combat, and are totally endearing besides. Frog's the tragic knight errant, we've got some robot angst with Robo, Magus' story is rather heartbreaking, and we've got a few ladies with some issues to work out. Oh, and all the multiple endings are worth working for, for once.

Phantasy Star Online (specifically GC and BB): I've made over 4,000 posts on one specific message board out of love for this game. I don't really need to outline it any further, do I? This is without a doubt my favorite online game ever.

Guitar Hero II: Of the three Guitar Hero games, this one is my favorite. It has the strongest song-listing overall, the best art-direction, and the most enjoyable multiplayer. It's fun to play by yourself and imagine the crowds adoring you, and it's fun to play back-to-back with a friend at a party. And it has freaking Free Bird as the last track!

Shadow of the Colossus: This game defines epic, as it offers an interesting take on the "hero saves a girl in trouble." By offering us a world of studied minimalism, Wander's sacrifices are painted in bold strokes. Who is this girl he's willing to sacrifice everything for? What drives him? Despite anything, he will do what he believes is right, everyone else be damned. Besides the storyline issues, the game is a joy to play and look at and listen to. The graphics aren't technically too amazing, but the unparalleled art direction gives rise to double takes.

Runners-Up:
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    Super Mario 64
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    Metroid Fusion
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
    Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
    Guilty Gear X2: The Midnight Carnival #Reload
    Elite Beat Agents
    Last edited by Eihwaz; May 28, 2008 at 10:59 PM.

In no particular order...

Gran Turismo (PSX): Some people that know me probably are aware of this, but I'm crazy about cars, and have been since a really young age. When I first got my Playstation, I was itching for a decent car-based game. Gran Turismo was that game, and so much more. At the time it was one of the most realistic driving games (even the slogan is 'The Real Driving Simulator'). There were so many cars to buy, and plenty of races to enter. Plus, it had a solid 2-player mode for when I had friends over. I ended up buying GT1,2,3 and 4. Unfortunately 4 is the last I'll buy, since the series moved onto PS3. Oh, and I'd like to think I'm pretty decent at the games too. 20th fastest in Europe round Grand Valley

Final Fantasy VII (PSX): Fanboys can suck it. I know FFVII was overhyped by fanboys and made out to be a better game than it is. However, it is still one of the most fun RPG's I have ever played. The cast are very easy to get involved with, and come from a wide variety of backgrounds. While I thought Sephiroth was a little disappointing as a final boss, the game as a whole was extremely well structured, and consequently I've played it through multiple times.

Phantasy Star Online Episode 1/2 (Gamecube): Come on, this is a PSO/PSU forum. I bought a Gamecube purely for this game, after playing it for a few hours round a friend's house. Also my first online game I played, so it was a totally new experience for me. Aside from the hardship of FSOD/memory card corruptions, it was a great gaming experience, and one I'm very glad to have given a chance.

Bloody Roar 3 (PS2): The game my username comes from, and the fighting game I have utmost respect for. The reason I like Bloody Roar so much is it comes between the 'i can has mash button' gameplay of Mortal Kombat and the 'bending your fingers 256 different ways for a punch' so-called 'tournament' games. While you could button mash to an extent in BR, some moves required pretty difficult combinations to pull off, so it was ultimately easy to get into but hard to master. The ability to transform into a feral beast halfway through a fight and tear your opponent to shreds was awesome, and every character's Beast form plays differently. Stun, the Insect is incredibly slow with short reach, but his grapples are immensely powerful, and he's very hard to take down fast. Uriko on the other hand (a half-cat) is extremely quick and can air-juggle well, but takes damage easily and doesn't deal much. That kind of balance unfortunately was ruined in Bloody Roar 4 when Nagi was introduced, who is both fast and powerful. She is the main reason I barely play BR4.

Guitar Hero II (PS2/X360): A friend at University introduced me to the GH games. I'd seen them in shops before, but dismissed them as stupid party games. When I finally had a go, I totally sucked. However, I kept wanting to retry and pass songs. Before long, GH2 had me hooked, and I found myself in town the next day buying it. Looking down the line to today, I'm now a player of Expert, and can 5* most songs. While it's an extremely simple concept, GH is really, really addictive. A few times I've lost track of time and end up realising I'm playing at 2:30 in the morning (and probably keeping everyone awake with the strumming noise ) Unfortunately, GH3 wasn't as great as I'd hoped, and the leap in difficulty between songs in the final gig is a joke.

I realise I'm rambling now, and I can't think of much else, so I'll probably edit this later

Edit:
    Shadow of the Colossus: This game defines epic, as it offers an interesting take on the "hero saves a girl in trouble." By offering us a world of studied minimalism, Wander's sacrifices are painted in bold strokes. Who is this girl he's willing to sacrifice everything for? What drives him? Despite anything, he will do what he believes is right, everyone else be damned. Besides the storyline issues, the game is a joy to play and look at and listen to. The graphics aren't technically too amazing, but the unparalleled art direction gives rise to double takes.
    To be honest, I loved the minimal story of SotC. It meant the focus of the game was the actual gameplay itself. When you're fighting some of the colossi, you can immediately see how much effort has been put into each one, to assure a fun boss fight. The only issue I have with the game is the framerate- it gets absurdly erratic during colossus fights sometimes.. now, I should really finish playing it (only on 7th or so )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2008-04-07 06:29 ]</font>

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)

Alright here are my masterpieces

Legend of zelda: Ahh i remember when i got this a christmas present a long long time ago but i had never heard of this game before.
    I actually wished for a Asterix game but that was quickly forgotten when i tried this game for a bit.
    It was very fun to explore stuff seeing how little collection of nes games i had were mostly linear..it were a good change.
    With sword and shield in hand. I felt invincible as i went down in those dungeons.

Final Fantasy VII: Wow is all i can say. The first rpg for the PSX my bro got. The music really is fantastic and the battles are impressive for itīs time. And the story is strangely interesting as well cause itīs so very confusing because of Cloudīs memories are fake.

Megaman III: Really this gotta be the best part of the series. The bosses are well balanced in difficulty and you donīt need a fancy charge shot to beat the enemies. And probably the best part is the follow up bosses, a tribute to the prequel bosses.
    This game has alot of boss battles and have alot of interesting stages.
    Favorite music is probably Snake manīs theme..man how can you not like it haha.

Phantasy Star Online: I think i told recently the reason i love this game but i can tell you again.
    Leveling and hunting for rares. The thrill to come up with new ways to attack enemies is always fun.
    Itīs repetive and PSU is repetive but..those 2 things makes you not think about it.
    Now that if that ainīt a addiction thing then i donīt know what is.
    Why else play it lol.

Super Smash Bros Melee: This is the only fighting game i have put alot of time in and enjoys it. Usually with this genre..i just try it once and never again..making me waste alot of money. But this is a new approach to fighting games (or maybe not correct me if i am wrong if you like) and therefore doesnīt make it as stale as most ones.
    You got your strong moves, you got your throws, you got your spike moves and your stragegi...what more do you need?

Devil May Cry: Never have i seen anything like this type of games before. Guns and swords in which you can do awesome comboes with? TELL ME! This is a awesome game and really bring up the dark atmosphere with demons and spooky music and your castle. Reminds me a little of Castlevania but Dante is more badass IMO then Simon and other.
    That brings me up with...

Castlevania serie: Castlevania has itīs uniqueness also..the neverending fight versus dracula or the next great evil.
    The whip has been used more then anything against them, never does it get any rest.
    Music has always been memorable in the serie. Great atmosphere as well.
    Always in a Castle hmm i wonder when we get a part that doesnīt have a Castle what so ever in the game.
    Lol that would be a interesting change.

Super Mario Bros serie: Ahh the plumber bros. My how many times they have tried to rescue the sad princess from Bowserīs grasp and have succeded. Makes you wonder why he never gives up kidnapping her and try something new instead when he knows they always find a way to save her. Anyway, these bros have stared in so many parts and different sport games making me wonder..when will this madness end lol?
    But there is always something new and interesting that you wanna keep buying these parts.

Metroid Serie: Like LoZ games, this has alot of exploring elements in it. With the energy tanks and missiles uppgrades.
    People always seem to find the fun to speedrun through this serie while 100 % it.
    The music is also spectacular in Metroid Prime when they finally decided to try it out in 3-D and man that were a good move.
    Brings more life to the game with fantastic areas, Pendrana cliffs i think it were called had a very nice blizzard enviourment.
    My absolute favorite place in the entire game.

And now i dedicate the last place (not in a bad way now i mean)

Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross: Ahh yes the rpgs with the constant time zone traveling and the hero which always seem to remain silent for no reason known. Both games have absolutely awesome musical soundtracks and alot of replay value.
    Chrono Cross in particular have choises that will make that you canīt use every single character in one run through giving a reason to try it out again on another playthrough for them.

That is all
    [PSO2] Darkante: Cast HU-44/RA-43/FI-42/GU-30
    Astral Storm: Newman F HU-35
    [PSP2:I]
    RB3 - Dark Knight "Ante" : Cast M Lv 200/ JLv Hu50/Ra50/F30/Va46
    RB3 - Crimson Sky: Beast F Lv 174/ JLv Hu34/Ra18/Fo1/Va50
    RB0 - Zone Dynamite: Beast M Lv 76/ JLv Hu0/Ra7/Fo0/Va0

Not making a long post... too lazy.

Order and content subject to change:

Resident Evil 2
    Resident Evil 4
    Resident Evil Outbreak (yes, I liked it :|)
    Silent Hill 2
    Silent Hill 3
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy X
    Tomb Raider Legend
    Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
    King Of Fighters

PSO2: Kylie.HUnewearl.Sh02

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

In no particular order:

Super Mario World
    Donkey Kong Country
    Final Fantasy IV
    Chrono Trigger
    SotN
    SSB series (they don't change enough to warrant a particular mention)
    LoZ:OoT (runner up, the rest of them)
    Super Metroid
    Sonic 3 + Knuckles
    Phantasy Star IV

Tentative list, may be subject to change.

Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2: having 3 friends over for hours of epic awesomeness could not get any better. Also made a few of my friends get a GC just for this game

Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask: THE. BEST. ZELDA. GAME. EVER. NO ARGUMENT. So many side quests to do, and the 3 day thing was a very unique feature. Dancing Redeads too

Sonic The Hedgehog 2: I can just play this game over and over and over and over and over again and not get bored.

Mario Kart series (doesn't matter which): Another brilliant multiplayer game, spent forever playing these.

Lylat Wars (Starfox 64): Another game I just can't get bored of, regardless of the linear route it takes.

Tales Of Symphonia: Granted, the voice acting wasn't great, but I was a sucker for the gameplay element for sure. Multiplayer feature was an added bonus.

Paper Mario: Always entertaining and more humorous with each one that gets released. Shows off Nintendo's more playful side methinks.

Phoenix Wright: Justice For All: Never was a game so underrated by ear. If you go up to someone and say 'hey you, play this game- it has lawyers!', they will likely reply with 'LOLWAT DAT SOWNDZ SHIET!1!!1'. I became completely engrossed in this game, leaving me sitting in a comfy chair for a goodweek or so before finishing it. The characters are all, well, over the top- adds to the enjoyment in my opinion

Guitar Hero 3: Legends Of Rock: I know most people prefer the prequels to this one, but to be honest I wasn't all that keen on the mountain of covers found within them. This one had more songs that I actually liked, and you can PLAE ONLIEN!1!! Admittedly, parts of this game are thoroughly unfair (see: Mosh 1 of Slayer's 'Raining Blood' must have taken me a good 30 goes to get past the first time), but it's great making people WTF at the screen

F-Zero GX: Of all racing games ever invented, this is most likely my favourite so far. Perhaps not the best for mates who haven't played it before (motion sickness, inability to control the ships seeing how fast they go, etc) but it left me on edge constantly, especially doing very hard mode on the story missions (which I finally completed after about a year of constantly trying XP). Online sequel now plz, kthx.

On 2008-04-07 11:21, Feelmirath wrote:
    Admittedly, parts of this game are thoroughly unfair (see: Mosh 1 of Slayer's 'Raining Blood' must have taken me a good 30 goes to get past the first time), but it's great making people WTF at the screen
    [insert rant along the lines of 'my fingers aren't physically fast enough to hit that, and my brain got left at the start of the song'].

It's like free arthiritis I may pass that song one day- probably around the same time GH7863726 is released

As for GH2, I kinda agree on the covers- some were terrible (see: Sweet Child O' Mine in particular- though I realise it's hard to mimic Axl Rose's voice, I guess). What I liked about GH2 more than the other games was the bonus tracks. Come on, you know playing Less Talk More Rokk for the first time reeked of awesome

I think my main problem with GH3 is the art direction- because it wasn't made by Harmonix (like GH1/2/80's), it doesn't feel the same to me. That, and some songs seem way, way overcharted (Before I Forget's bridge for one). Still a decent game, and fun to play online though.

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)

In no particular order:
    Super Mario Bros./ Duck Hunt (NES)- This hooked me on video games, I was like 3 or 4 when i got it. Darn if only u could shoot that dog when he laughs at u.
    Zelda (NES)-I never beat it but i did have fun dying a billion times.
    Pokemon Blue Version (GB)- I was 10, and i was hooked on the tv show,"Go bulbasaur."
    Mario Cart (N64)- It was fun racing my friends, I would usually win.
    Super Smashs Brothers (N64)- Good times, with my friends.
    Golden Eye (N64)- I hated loosing every time but i stilled played it with my buds." No not the golden gun, Ahhhggghhh."
    Madden 04 (PS2)-I love football... A game where i could actually beat my friends.
    Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)- It has a really good story, I was so hooked on it.
    Jade Empire (Xbox)- I beat this like 10 times and never got tired of it, I wish there was a Jade Empire 2.
    Phantasy Star Universe (Xbox 360)- It has to be up there, I have like 9 hundred and 30 some hours on my main. The only game i ever played that long is Madden.

Near Misses:
    Socom Fire Team Bravo (PSP)- I played it, all the time sophmore year of high scool. Online it was amazing. I remember having like 28 kills and like 2 deaths in one match.
    Sonic the hedgehog(Genesis)- I never beat it but it was still fun trying to.

Gamertag: MR CauSe iM GoD ID: 30054283

On 2008-04-07 12:01, UrikoBB3 wrote:
    On 2008-04-07 11:21, Feelmirath wrote:
    Admittedly, parts of this game are thoroughly unfair (see: Mosh 1 of Slayer's 'Raining Blood' must have taken me a good 30 goes to get past the first time), but it's great making people WTF at the screen
    [insert rant along the lines of 'my fingers aren't physically fast enough to hit that, and my brain got left at the start of the song'].

It's like free arthiritis I may pass that song one day- probably around the same time GH7863726 is released

As for GH2, I kinda agree on the covers- some were terrible (see: Sweet Child O' Mine in particular- though I realise it's hard to mimic Axl Rose's voice, I guess). What I liked about GH2 more than the other games was the bonus tracks. Come on, you know playing Less Talk More Rokk for the first time reeked of awesome

I think my main problem with GH3 is the art direction- because it wasn't made by Harmonix (like GH1/2/80's), it doesn't feel the same to me. That, and some songs seem way, way overcharted (Before I Forget's bridge for one). Still a decent game, and fun to play online though.
    Freaking signed.

The lead singer looks so fucking hideous. When I first saw him, I nearly failed the song because I was staring in slack-jawed awe. The bassist looks like Cousin Itt from The Addam's Family, too...GH3 also is filled with rank hypocrisy. Selling out is bad, so play your underground rock masterpieces on this Pontiac (TM) stage with your AXE (TM) Guitar!

Admittedly, it does have a few particularly awesome songs: Closer, She Bangs the Drums, Helicopter (which I need to UNLOCK), Through the Fire and Flames, Knights of Cydonia, etc.

I liked the song selection a lot better in GH3 than GH2. Harder/more realistic note-structure wise too. Every time I go back and play GH 2, it just seems... dull. But yeah, the Lead singer is lol. And they took out Pandora

Anyways, here's my list in no order:
    Resident Evil 3
    Resident Evil 4
    Super Mario RPG
    Guitar Hero 3
    Melty Blood Act Cadenza (PC version)
    Shenmue
    F-zero GX
    Skies of Arcadia
    Devil May Cry series ([except 2, ew] I still haven't played 4 ._.)
    Shining Force series (My first strategy game too lol)