Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I need a new keyboard so will you guys pitch in and buy me this one pretty please?...... idk where this belongs it might hit FKL soon ....

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...timus-max.html

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

$1600!!! $1600!! holy hell. But I do like the Firefox button being on there.
    That pretty much sums it up.

What does it do that it's so damn expensive? Control nuclear weapons or something?

It is so costly because essentially every single key is a tiny computer screen.
    That's programmable even, so that you can custom the keys to look like whatever you want. So it could be english, then change to Japan, then go to all shortcuts for photoshop etc. and so on.

A long time ago it was touted as 'the future of keyboards zomg' but it turned out that no one can get the price down so really it's not. Still though, it's fun to see.

Problem is, the windows IME used for entering languages works off the standard QWERTY keyboard. So it's already only two keystrokes away to start typing in Japanese, just alt+shift to change languages and alt+` to change between input methods in the IME. Hell, the IME has a 'direct input' setting where it functions normally except for alt+xxxx input, so... It'd better have some kind of software to let me directly type kana and have it be able to convert to kanji just like the IME does, or it's not at all an improvement.

It might be useful for switching keyboard layouts within a language, so if you decide you want to learn, say, Dvorak and want to be able to glance at the keys, you can just switch it to display that. But... Again, you can use the language bar to change keyboard layouts as well, so unless you need to see the keys to type it's not really useful.

Unless you want to try to keep people who can't touch type from using your computer. >_>; I pulled off the keys on my keyboard and rearanged them for Dvorak a while ago, but I still use qwerty most of the time and have it default to that, and it's funny to see anyone who can't touch type qwerty try to use the computer. (Much like the fun to be had with dad's computers, which have qwerty on the physical keyboard, but are all set for Dvorak... Mwahahaha)

PSUJP: Nai Calus, M. B. 176 FI 20 | Elly, F. N. 42 FT 5 Requiescat in pace.

The comments on the site are amazing...
    People calling people nerds over the internet....I love it.

ID: Haseyo FO
    Character: Roll Caskett | Ship: 02
    Character: Hsien-Ko | Ship: 02

just get a 14 dollar keyboard, they get the job done.

jack of all trades, master of none

Why does someone inevitably make a homophobic statement that rarely has anything to do with the product be publicized...
    Happens everywhere I guess. Even to nerds.

On 2008-04-24 08:27, Saner wrote:
    just get a 14 dollar keyboard, they get the job done.
    I bought one for that price before. it sucked. My $20 keyboard kicks ass though.
    Turbosig.

i really don't see the point of that keyboard. 133 tiny lcd screens? why don't they just make it one lcd touch screen? then you can do cool stuff, like change the size of keys, adjust the layout to what you want, use it as a drawing pad. you could make one like that pretty easily. i don't see why they're bending over backwards for a bad design. what a piece of shit

Probably because typing on one giant LCD screen that had no real keys would be hard as shit. How would you even know where you were supposed to push without looking down at it?