Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

With MAG getting me up in levels at a pretty fast pace, I've reached the point that I'm starting to contemplate the PA frag disks for my weapons and techniques, but don't have a very good idea which ones I should be giving first priority towards. So I'm throwing this out in case anyone has wise words of wise wisdom on the matter.

For anyone who isn't brushed up on ATs, our S-ranks are one-handed weapons: Sabers, Daggers, Whips, Cards, and Pistols. Our Skills and Bullets are capped at 20, our attack techniques at 30.

At the moment, I'm using:

Sabers - Rising Strike and Gravity Strike. I'm not much of a fan of Gravity; the length of time it takes is much more tedious than the wham-bam-done of Rising, plus the photon cost is heavier.

Daggers - Buten Shuren-zan and Shunbu Shouren-zan. Like the sabers, I prefer the 'basic' Buten over the 'advanced' Shunbu in most situations.

Whips - Visshi Grudda. It's the only PA you can get from the store, but it does a decent job.

Cards - Earth bullets. It was that or pistols, and the cards are a good bit more powerful from what I've seen.

Techniques - Rabarta and Dambarta are my attack techs; being able to freeze things makes the melee half of the class a nice bit easier. Resta, Reverser, and the four buffs are seeing common use too, of course.

All you need as AT is Vivi Danga, Shunbu Shouren-zan and Hikai Shuha-zan for melee PAs.
    You can use others for fun, but they won't perform as good.

You should have all elements spread on your guns. And by guns I mean cards, machineguns and twin handguns, obviously. Twin handguns help a lot for flying bosses, so get as many as you can stand to level up -- not like leveling them to Lv20 is long or anything, though.

I don't use techs at all because melee/bullets do more damage, even when the monster resists them >_> (may not be true for Newmans)

Here's the list of what I use on my human AT:
    Shunbu Shouren-zan
    Hikai Shuha-zan

Vivi Danga
    Visshi Grudda (I rarely use it, there are situations where it's better than Vivi Danga, but too few to matter)

Twin Burn
    Twin Freeze
    Twin Plasma
    Twin Grav
    Twin Rising
    Twin Dark

Ensei-shiki
    Raisei-shiki
    Jusei-shiki
    Yousei-shiki

Frozen Fury
    Grav Fury
    Rising Fury
    Dark Fury

Shifta
    Deband
    Zodial
    Retier
    Resta
    Reverser
    Megistar (when people are being pain in the necks, lololololol)

I find it crucial to have all elements available on one-handed guns, hence all the card/machinegun PAs. Twin handguns are decent (especially now that I have a Twin Ruby Bullet :3), but you cannot heal or cure when using those, and it kills the point of being the master of support, doesn't it?

AT ftw ;o

The PAs that you use as AT depend on your race so you should provide that information if you want advice.

Female Human, so not quite as melee-weak as a Newman. Plus, yummy 5% racial bonus to the type.

Dragon God

Depends on ur playstyle really, I have a nicely done guide somewhere around here that seems rather valid still. Depends if ur going tech heavy or melee heavy. I personally have all the Melee PA frags for I'm a melee centric AT, however if ur more tech heavy then u can pick and choose what u want.

Namely though Giresta takes top spot nonetheless when it comes to frag PA that u should get, the rest is a gray area more or less. Don't bother getting any ranged frag PAs, and get all the elements for cards, imo, they are the most useful ranged weapon we have, they seem to out perform mechs/handguns as far as I've seen especially S ranked ones or a Card Regas +10 like I have :3.

As an example here's my setup:
    Shadoog/dagger or saber
    Shadoog/dagger or saber
    Shadoog/dagger or saber
    Madoog/Wand (resta, reverser and giresta reside here)
    Madoog/Wand (My buffs reside here)
    Card/Wand (attack wand and proper element cards)

Generally speaking I tend to use Buten/Hikai over Shunbu, Shunbu is great for some instances however. I also switch between Rising Strike and Gravity strike depending on how much of a mess I want to make, on bigger mobs I generally use rising where is Gravity I use on smaller mobs. Spinning Stike is pretty much on bosses only with an odd case of single hit point mobs however I find I get interrupted a lot using it.

Only have Ice/Shock twin handgun bullets lvled for the instances I fight Omma or Dimmy, for my other range weapon uses I just use cards (which only come out on instances when I want to be far away from a dangerous situation)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Wing on 2008-05-01 22:39 ]</font>

Thanks for all the advice so far!

My current palette is:

Rapit/Creasabra x 2 with Resta/Reverser on the cheap madoogs
    Rapit/Vish Adac, same as above
    Mira-Kikami/Creasabra
    Pegita/Magical Wand with buffs
    Pegita/Magical Wand with Rabarta/Dambarta/Resta/Reverser

Gardner, Kansas. Sorry bea, I'm stuck here for now.

On 2008-05-01 11:20, Hrith wrote:
    Megistar (when people are being pain in the necks, lololololol)
    Hahaha...I'll be sure to watch out for that. Never mind. I don't usually act like I need a buff anyway, even if it's handy and noticeable.

On 2008-05-01 11:20, Hrith wrote:
    AT ftw ;o
    Once I get back onto PSU and make an AT alt to give it a whirl, I might be inclined to agree... :3

My AT is sometimes an AF, so he has all the single handed melee PAs
    I don't use dual hanguns as either, but I just do that because they're one of my staple weapons on my figh, and I wanted a different playstyle.

Therefore my palette usually consists of something like...
    Madoog/wand (buffs)
    Madoog/Wand (Giresta/diga, megid/ramegid)
    Madoog/Whip (Giresta/gi-tech)
    Handgun/Saber
    Madoog/Dagger(Giresta/attack tech)
    Card/Wand(Giresta/attach tech)

I like to always have the healing easy to access, but that's just me. Handgun/saber doesn't get used too often, but I like to have it in there as the Handgun is good for tagging enemies. I always prefer to use cards on bosses though, requires little effort and it locks onto them, flying, grounded, whatever.

THE JACKEL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljkkjlcm9 on 2008-05-05 21:55 ]</font>

I have a female newman AT, and I focus mainly on my techs. Here's my usual setup:

- First 3 palette slots, I use Wand/Tech-Mag with Resta on my wands, and Reverser on my Tech-Mags. The other two spaces, I put the same attack tech on both weapons. Generally, I'll use something like Foie, Diga, Megid, or Razonde, depending on the situation. I've found that, by splitting the same tech onto both weapons, as well as your healing techs, it allows you to cast a LOT more. Having Resta/Reverser on the same weapon with your attack techs on the other tends to drain the attack weapon, while your healing weapon is almost always full or near-full, unless the party is just getting mutilated. Also, this helps make more use out of your Photon Charges, since they restore half the PP of both weapons.

- My 4th palette slot used to be Giresta + debuffs, though I have recently been tinkering with this. Currently, I am testing out some "utility" spells for this spot, such as Giresta + Regrants on my Tech-Mag, and Noszonde + something else on my wand.

- 5th slot is buffs. Imo, an AT without good support techs is wasted potential. Use Kubara weapons for this for more PP, since buffs don't rely on TP. Currently, I use a Cometerac + Pegic, though a Doric would be better...

- My last slot, I use a Vish Adac whip + Storm handgun. I prefer Visshi Grudda on my whip since it's faster, and I use ice bullets on the handgun. Why handgun, you ask? Well, I guess it's because I'm used to playing FG a lot, so I need something with FPV. Handguns are also a lot quicker than cards, for example - and speed plays a big role as an AT. Plus, I usually wear a Storm Line armor, so it combos. :3 Anyway, this setup allows me to take out things that my techs can't handle, plus with constant stun and freeze status effects going on, it really slows the enemies down, and helps with the fact that female newmans just have sucky ATP... >_<

- Armor-wise, as I just mentioned, I'd recommend a Storm Line, or one of the high-evasion Tenora armors. Har/Quick is a must, followed by a Mega/Power (until I get something better, lol), a Resist unit, and a TP Generate unit to keep the tech-spamming going. :3

My FFXIV:ARR Lodestone Page
    3DS Friend Code: 0318-8097-4335
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Hearthstone

On 2008-05-02 07:52, Valatar wrote:
    Creasabra