Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock =/= Pop

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Seriously, why do people lump these together? They can be the same, but for the most part they're totally different. I wish they wouldn't combine these two totally seperate things.

I could so relate this to PSU and PSO lol

Who is this guy again? Shadowpawn's Avatar

Pop did derive from Rock though. Just like the instrumental elements of Hip-hop owes a lot to electronica.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

I don't think it should be put together though.

Rock is still quite different from pop, and doesn't deserve to be lumped with something else.

Hip-hop and electronica I can understand, as hip hop is pretty much electronica with lyrics.

Guardian of Light - Jesus Freak

You have a point. If you put Skillet together with something like Hillary Duff, they do not sound remotely similar. -_- Well, what I listen to mostly separates them properly at least.

I actually don't hear them put the two together that much, but of course, I don't listen to a lot of mainstream music.

Who is this guy again? Shadowpawn's Avatar

Not quite, Hip-hop is a cultural movement. It's not just beats and rhythms, there are social and political elements within Hip-Hop as well. As for being electronica with lyrics, electronica tends to produce an "otherworldy" sound that primarily done with the syths. Where as hip-hop production relies heavily on bass and drums.

As with Pop and Rock you can tell the difference between a Hip-hop instrumental to a electronica one.

Well Pop isnt really a genre,its just short for popular as for popular music

This thread is making the music snob in me weep tears of pure angst.

Hip hop owes more to some Jamaican music forms than to electronic; the stylistics origins of hip hop were put in place by the late 60's/early 70's. To say that hip hop is basically electronica with lyrics is wrong...Of course, the very term "electronica" is somewhat of a misnomer, IMO. It's just a convenient way to lump all electronic music that was not made specifically for dancing.

And yes, hip hop has the whole cultural element to it that seems largely removed from the origins of the actual musical genre of "hip hop."

I think the reason a lot of pop and rock gets lumped together is because a lot of chart-topping acts of those genres tend to blur them together quite a lot, especially with bands like The Fray.

On 2008-05-13 21:27, The_Gio wrote:
    This was the case originally, but it is definitely possible to separate "popular music" from "pop music." For instance, Red Hot Chili Peppers make popular music, but they're definitely not a pop band.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2008-05-13 21:30 ]</font>

On 2008-05-13 21:29, Eihwaz wrote:
    This thread is making the music snob in me weep tears of pure angst.

Hip hop owes more to some Jamaican music forms than to electronic; the stylistics origins of hip hop were put in place by the late 60's/early 70's. To say that hip hop is basically electronica with lyrics is wrong...Of course, the very term "electronica" is somewhat of a misnomer, IMO. It's just a convenient way to lump all electronic music that was not made specifically for dancing.

And yes, hip hop has the whole cultural element to it that seems largely removed from the origins of the actual musical genre of "hip hop."

I think the reason a lot of pop and rock gets lumped together is because a lot of chart-topping acts of those genres tend to blur them together quite a lot, especially with bands like The Fray.

On 2008-05-13 21:27, The_Gio wrote:
    This was the case originally, but it is definitely possible to separate "popular music" from "pop music." For instance, Red Hot Chili Peppers make popular music, but they're definitely not a pop band.

uh if your talking about the same red hot chilli peppers I know about,then they are pop. The stereotype of pop is basically using any instrument or sound to make music.So Rap falls under pop,rock falls under pop,even some sub genres like indie and punk fall under pop,thats when indie pop and pop punk comes out(I.E Blink 182). Not to argue but pop still means popular,as long as a band or an artist is known by almost everyone it either gets pop added to the genre or just completely becomes pop.

On 2008-05-13 21:35, The_Gio wrote:
    uh if your talking about the same red hot chilli peppers I know about,then they are pop. The stereotype of pop is basically using any instrument or sound to make music.So Rap falls under pop,rock falls under pop,even some sub genres like indie and punk fall under pop,thats when indie pop and pop punk comes out(I.E Blink 182). Not to argue but pop still means popular,as long as a band or an artist is known by almost everyone it either gets pop added to the genre or just completely becomes pop.
    It seems like you're still confusing the phrase "popular music" to be interchangeable with the phrase "pop music." "Popular music" means any sort of music that tends to be well-liked by the populace, while "pop music" refers to a specific genre of music, such as the kind of music produced by Madonna, Cher, Brittney Spears, etc.

A rock band can be popular, but they can't be a pop band. I hope you see the point I'm trying to make here.

On 2008-05-13 21:39, Eihwaz wrote:
    On 2008-05-13 21:35, The_Gio wrote:
    It seems like you're still confusing the phrase "popular music" to be interchangeable with the phrase "pop music." "Popular music" means any sort of music that tends to be well-liked by the populace, while "pop music" refers to a specific genre of music, such as the kind of music produced by Madonna, Cher, Brittney Spears, etc.

A rock band can be popular, but they can't be a pop band. I hope you see the point I'm trying to make here.
    yeah ok I get'cha,your basically saying it is a genre because of artists meaning to be pop.I still think pop means popular because before (in your example) Madonna and Cher were considered dance before,and Britney Spears....well what can I say,sex sells but yeah ok I get'cha.Makes alot more sense.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The_Gio on 2008-05-13 21:43 ]</font>