a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Default Fun with Routers

Does anyone know how to get a wireless Linksys router to display all the used IPs in the DHCP client table? I know that if you use ipconfig /renew on a windows machine, it will update the list with that device. My problem is that most of the devices I have on my network are consoles/handhelds (DS, PS3, Wii, PSP, etc.) and all are connected wirelessly. None of those devices are showing up on the client list.

The second part of my problem is that I can't seem to blow out the IP table. I added a PS3 this weekend, and the router wants to assign the same IP to two devices. If I could kill the current table and get the router to assign brand new IPs to every device, I think it might solve my IP conflict.

STATUS>LOCAL NETWORK>DHCP CLIENTS TABLE. (you can delete devices in that Window also.) You may need to turn the device on and let it connect to see it in the list.

Or, just turn everything off and powercycle it, that will reset the IP table.
    Last edited by VioletSkye; Jun 2, 2008 at 12:40 PM.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Quote Originally Posted by VioletSkye View Post
    STATUS>LOCAL NETWORK>DHCP CLIENTS TABLE. (you can delete devices in that Window also.) You may need to turn the device on and let it connect to see it in the list.
    This is the list that's empty. Sorry, I didn't specify that. There are probably upwards of 8 devices connected to my router, but the only IP that appears is the windows box that I ran "ipconfig /renew" on. Refresh doesn't seem to work either.

Or, just turn everything off and powercycle it, that will reset the IP table.
    Looks like I might have to do this... This may make some people unhappy though, haha.

I've never been able to get a Linksys router to show any wirelessly connected devices in the DHCP table. I haven't bothered to look into it any further because it's never been of high importance, but it could be a specific issue with their firmware.

Yeah, maybe try upgrading the firmware. I checked mine and it listed everything (2 desktops, 2 laptops, Printer and a Wii.)

Which Linksys Router do you have WRT-XXg/n?

This should work http://192.168.1.1/DHCPClientTable.htm

If not go to 192.168.1.1 (or your default gateway),

then the status tab,

then Local Network sub tab,

and click the DHCP Client Table.

Physically connected items should be LAN and Wireless should be WLAN.

An alternative is to Install DD-WRT (if you want to know ask) and clients are listed on the bottom of the Info page.
    Last edited by AnnabellaRenee87; Jun 3, 2008 at 02:08 AM.