Default Memory error after checking for patches while logging in (PSU)

Anyone have any idea of why this is? I don't have a problem with any other games or applications... Also the screen remains black for a few minutes before actually starting.

one simple thing you can try is a windows memory tester that you can find at majorgeeks.com. I doubt its faulty memory because you say all your other apps run okay, but it's worth a shot imho.

the reason the screen stays black is because this is the 3rd party application Game Guard that PSU uses to prevent hacks (but does nothing of the sort and instead opens your PC wide open to attacks while it is running). The game itself will not fully load and start until both Game Guard's servers and Sega's servers in Oregon give you the green light. You may or may not have a firewall or virus scanner that slows this process down, so it might be worthwhile to check their logs to see if they're giving you a bottleneck in this regard.
    "There is nothing new under the Sun."
    -Ecclesiastes

Thanks for the black screen answer... Not sure how to fix the memory issue though.

Posted this on another board, maybe it will help.

Using an Inspiron E1505. The specs are well above that of system requirements. Everytime I try and patch, immediately after I get the same error - The instruction at 0x00740840 referenced memory at 0x00000008. The memory could not be read. The game shuts down. I had the problem last night, just reinstalled Vista and got the same message. Help!

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/1269/psuerrorzr6.jpg
    That is a screen of the error.