Question What's the easiest draw and animation program?

well I heard of Macromedia Flash but I dunno how its format is compatible with editing system
    like the NewTek Video Toaster.

but I dunno, I mean if there was a welcoming animation tool to make cartoons using your drawings, I migth be interested, but so many programs have so many buttons, it's hard to tell
    if its even usable.

but there are soem seemingly complicated programs, that if you learned at least the basics
    that are used to make your drawings and animation happen, then the rest is a piece of cake
    and you can crank out entire episodes with it.

Of course I'm not seeking to make an anime on par with Bleach, but maybe on par with a simpler version of Yu Yu Hakusho or Hokuto No Ken. Even if the animations come of as cheesy early 90's stuff.

But the OTHER really tough element, is how to get the drawings into the program to start
    animating and editing and animating them again.

I tried pads where you use a laser pen and you draw on screen that way instead of an infernal mouse, because I can't stand the long process of drawing on paper and scanning it in, then
    photoshopping it so I can clean it up and give it vibrant colors.

but I dunno, if there was some affordable comfy way to get my drawings already in teh system
    and able to edit and change the drawing to make motion, instead of havign to draw each
    frame from scratch, then that might make anime production much more inviting.

I dunno I been thinking about it, because I have some story idea that only work through an anime format, instead of a live-action acting format. And making manga just doesn't make the experience alive enough to me. I mean Dragonball wouldn't even be what it is now if it remained just a manga or graphic novel.

Supreme Pantless Commander SpikeOtacon's Avatar

Animation is a pretty tricky thing. If you want to try something simple you can start with .GIF animations. But Flash is hands down the definitive program.

If drawing digitally isn't your thing you could draw frames and scan each one in like how they used to do it.

She's a summer love in the spring, fall and winter

I'm just gonna say now, learn to draw properly before jumping into the huge step of animation. And second of all, all those "buttons" in most animation programs are key to piecing together your work. You're not gonna find something that has a single "MAKE ANIMASHUN" button.

Again, you're looking into a huge, and dedicating ordeal, which is not gonna take a day or 2 to make. Most animation programs are aimed toward robust projects, like Toon Boom, or even Premier. Most stuff higher than that will cost you lots, and lots of money.

Flash would be the simplest ones. I knew that people used U.S. Animation (a professional traditional animation program for the computer) when I was in college and the stuff from that looks amazing, but it will take you a lot of time to use and learn that.

ya I rather draw digitally instead of scanning manually but oh well maybe I should focus on live action directing/writing/producing. not as charming as kawaii anime, but can still work.

Godspeed Saner...Godspeed.

Get one of These, because drawing with a mouse can be a slight pain in the ass. Then I'd recommend following the above posters advice

I agree with the above poster that said learn to draw first. Im pretty good with technique not so great at getting my models perfect. Even for cartooning, knowledge of the human figure is a must. Im now taking a drop-in studio class where we draw live models. I also am studying anatomy and life drawing books. My favorite books are Bridgemans life Drawing and Drawing the head and figure by Jack Hamm. Then again, Id rather have my goal to draw as well as say, Yoshitaka Amano, than just play around (uhhh.like ill ever be that good though lol)

(not that I meant you cant draw the figure perfect...I guess Im just saying for me personally this is my biggest obstacle...and ya I finally bought a Wacom so thats an awesome thing to have as well)
    Last edited by Seira7; Jul 14, 2008 at 04:01 PM.

On the subject of figure drawing, Andrew Loomis is popular with the illustration set. You should be able to find several of his books online free and legally if you google his name.

If you don't want to scan, you could always make a flip book to get a feel for how tedious frame-by-frame animation can be.