Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Rifles, shotguns, crossbows, grenades, lasers and spears, anything else on a Fortegunner is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrith View Post
    Rifles, shotguns, crossbows, grenades, lasers and spears, anything else on a Fortegunner is a waste of time.
    Such an arrogant and unwise post.

For me it goes like this:

·Staples: Rilfe and Shotgun
    ·Situational: Laser and Grenade Launcher
    ·Movile: Mechgun
    ·Melee: 1 Handed

Almost every FG on the game uses and agrees on the first four, that's the easy part, the different approaching and debate to the class comes in the form of choosing the Melee option and the "Movile" option.

When considering a Fortegunner movility weapon, Crossbow and Twin Handguns are the popular and easy choices, being Machine Gun oversight by most of people. Why? Machine Gun is the weaker option on the early development of the character itself and the bullets, because its damage output is extremely dependent on the player base ATP and the own bullets, more than any other weapon because it has the lowest ATP and the fastest firing rate. But the same factors that make it the worst in the early game, make it the best in the late game (now 130~140/20). Amongst Crossbow and Twin Handguns it outdamages both over time (850 per Mechgun bullet is no joke I tell you), plus both Crossbow and Twin Handguns are overlapped and redundant in their secondary roles with Shotgun (pointblanking role) and Rifle (FPV and range) respectively.
    Yes, you can do well with Twin Hanguns and or Crossbow, and be very proud about it, but speaking of making your time worthwhile (and not your palette unnecessarily overlapped with functionality similar weapons) Machine Gun wins.

Finaly we have the melee issue, this is more up to the player, as all Saber, Dagger and Spear make the same role, I consider better suited Saber or Dagger, because they combine with Mechgun or Crossbow (I explained why Mechgun is superior, not that Crossbow is bad, I'm not pretending to convince anyone to discard his hard earned Crossbow bullets) and the class can use them at their full potential, skill cap wise for the full combo, and game wise for the instant speed answer, quickly switching to the Gun or the C.C.W. as needed for any incoming threat, rather than loading a Spear and having one of your 6 palette slots unnecessarily taken. "But Majarra is so powerful", "Majarra is the only way", "I can't live without Majarra", then let it to your Fortefighter and shut the fuck up. "But I like shooting things too!" then go Protranser or Fighunner and shut the fuck up again. No, seriously, Majarra is very valid but overused, it will perform the work well (not necessarily better than Hikai or Spinning, or some other skill), but aside the aforementioned ugliness from having an empty hand and then a whole extra palette slot with a lone Crossbow and a Spear, think about this: How many Spear skills do you use often and may fulfill different actions? just one, Majarra, and now what about Dagger or Saber? All three of each are useful, but more importantly, aside from pure damage skills as Hikai or Spinning Strike, both have also control skills with Shunbu and Rising Strike, for the cases where there is no way to switch to and aim your launcher in time, you just have to switch to the other hand.

Again: is up to you. I explained my points, and I'm absolutely convinced that they are the better approach at Fortegunner, as for exaple Hrith is about his, but I'm very respectful with whatever the other players think and do, as if it coincides with my way as if it doesn't.
    Just get used to and know your tools, and use them wisely.
    Those who will not follow are doomed to lead.

Dakkon Blackblade, Beast Male (Level 150), FF 20 - PC/PS2, Online
    Tor Wauki, Cast Male (Level 150), FG 20 - PC/PS2, Online
    Marhault, Human Male (Level 150), MF 20/FT 20/AT 20 - PC/PS2, Online
    Frankie Peanuts, Cast Male (Level 150), GT 20/FI 20/AF 20 - PC/PS2, Online

MACHINEGUNS AND XBOWS ARE FOR GUNTECHERS :@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Rifle,shotgun,grenade launcher,laser and twin handguns. Heavy guns for fortegunner.ZAZENGA SUCKS BTW( in before that loli cast)

PSO2 Character: Chibi Loli newman force Level 40

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi_psu View Post
    MACHINEGUNS AND XBOWS ARE FOR GUNTECHERS :@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    Chibita, querida ratona, despite Guntechers having S rank access to Machine Gun, the lack of base ATP on that class makes it for a poor option, no matter how cute you see yourself holding a Bulletdance.

Hrith's reply is direct to the point - every other weapon available to a Fortegunner at this point that he has not listed will not deal as much damage or perform as quickly as those weapons.

Saber and Dagger has nothing on a Spear when you consider just how quickly Dus Majarra and Dus Daggas throws out damage in comparison. They're also much stronger and accurate weapons by themselves.

Until we get that handy Photon charge update that fills up both off-hand weapons, carrying a solo off-hand weapon is better for a Fortegunner.

The biggest issue with Machine guns that I've had, is getting a 10/10 Beam Vulcanic to have all of that PP. Otherwise, the weapon runs out far too quickly and you can only hold ten Photon Charges. Not only that, the range on a machine gun is EXTREMELY poor. If you're going to be THAT close to an enemy, you might as well use a Shotgun. Crossbow lets you stay at an extremely safe distance when the bullet is at Lv. 31+.

Limiting yourself to just three weapons is strange but if I were to choose just three weapons, then it'd be Rifle, Shotgun and Laser Cannon. Of course, that'd mean I'm rather useless when I come up against a bullet resistant enemy and I can't deal with bosses/dangerous enemies/enemies with multiple hit areas as quickly as I can without Grenade Launchers and crossbows are insanely useful for the things that like to roll out of your way or for dealing with neutral enemies (Yak Zagenga).

Quote Originally Posted by biggabertha View Post
    the range on a machine gun is EXTREMELY poor. If you're going to be THAT close to an enemy, you might as well use a Shotgun. Crossbow lets you stay at an extremely safe distance when the bullet is at Lv. 31+.
    31+ Crossbow range: 16 meters
    31+ Machine Gun range: 13 meters

Yes... extremely..... specially considering Crossbow spread effectiveness at long distances, not even to mention in a single target.

rifle, granade gun, laser, shotty, twin pistols, xbow and sword/dagger is all u need as a FG.
    Retired PC/PS2 server caras:
    AUTARCH, M cast, Lv 147, FG/PT
    NORDLYS, M newman, LV141, AT
    Frozt, F beast, LV106, FF

I usually stick with the following in my palette:

2 rifles
    laser
    shotgun
    crossbow + dagger
    grenade launcher

I usually stick to my shotguns for damage and suppressing multiple enemies, and rifles for long-distance.

Lasers are good ONLY if the enemies you're facing are lined up or are close together, so I don't use them too often. It's hard to rack up huge damage with a laser if your enemies are too spread out, or are moving too fast.

Only use grenades against bosses, Drua Gohras, Kogg Nadds, etc. - the things with 3 or more hitboxes - and only use Boma Duranga, as it greatly surpasses the other grenade PA's in terms of damage. DON'T use them on large mobs; I don't care what anyone else says. The damage output will be slow, and you'll only piss off the other people in the party when they can't hit anything. Use a laser or a shotgun in that case.

For a mobility weapon, crossbows and twin handguns are both fine damage-wise imo, but I'm starting to lean towards crossbows more nowadays for their superior versatility. Crossbows get up to Lv3 status effects at Lv21, compared to twin handguns' constant Lv2. Crossbows also have a range similar to shotguns when leveled, while twin handguns have a longer, narrow range. Another thing that makes crossbows more awesome is the fact that you can pair a saber or dagger with them for melee damage; for me, I use a dagger with either Hikai Shuha-zan or Buten-Shuren-zan, though a saber with Rising Strike would also be a good alternative. The only real advantage that twin handguns have over crossbows is the fact that you can use first-person view with them... but if you're doing that, you're not utilizing the fact that you could be strafing with them instead. Use a rifle if you want to fire in FPV.

Stuff I don't use as FG:

Spears. A lot of people say it's good to have one for those bullet-resistant enemies, but my dagger usually does just fine. FG's only get Lv20 Skills anyway, so you couldn't utilize the last hit of Dus Majarra or whatever other PA you like to use, whereas with sabers and daggers, you can. Also, if your rifle bullets are high enough level (31+), you can just flinch-lock these types of enemies anyway, even though it might take longer to kill them. We FG's have access to Burn G, Virus G, and Poison G traps for a reason, too. =P

Machine guns. They have horrible range, horrible status effect levels, and mediocre damage. Other than the fact that they can flinch-lock (coughriflescough), a crossbow trumps them any day. Also, as biggabertha said, at machine gun range, you might as well could use a shotgun too.

Finally, I will personally ninjutsu bitch-slap of doom you if I see you using a handgun or range-mag as a FG. -_-X

But yeah, I'd definitely go with rifles and shotguns, and then w/e else for your 3rd gun. Just remember to cover every element with your bullets, and LEVEL THEM.

My FFXIV:ARR Lodestone Page
    3DS Friend Code: 0318-8097-4335
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Hearthstone

Quote Originally Posted by Hrith View Post
    Straight to the point, and I agree with you.
    Waiting for Phantasy Star Online 2.~

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

If you really want to focus on a small weapon set, pick from the Gunmaster weapons. You'll probably end up changing to it anyway. Your choices are: Shotgun, Rifle, Laser Cannon, and Twin Handguns. I'd wait in the Twins.