Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome

Default Google Chrome

Wow, this is quite a surprise. Google today released their own browser (just after donating to Mozilla) called Google Chrome. It's based around the idea of simplicity and functionality. Rather than a single hierarchal process, each plug-in, tab, and tool (such as Java) is given its own process. Thus, if a plug-in crashes or even a tab, the browser is designed not to crash and continue to function. (We'll see how that plays out) Also, because of this, you can see which plug-ins are hogging the most memory and resources (in a tab type about:memory to get the in depth processes, or click the control menu and choose Task Manager under Developer for a small pop-up window with less information).

Really, I was skeptical at first as I thought it might simply be yet another Firefox clone (a browser I didn't care for in the first place). I was quite wrong. It is clean, fast, and easy to use. I figured other PSOWers would be interested in this new browser and might have feedback.

For an unusual overview of the browser, check out Google's comic with the descriptions of features and the like.

All I can say so far is, good job Google. You might finally have created a browser that is worth using over all of your competition. I look forward to the Linux and Mac betas.

It's fucking weird, and full of programming exploits wider than the grand canyon from what I've been told.

And there's no title bar or menus, god damn this thing is weird.

Using it right now, btw.

Also, right after I installed it and ran it (while PSU was running), the title bar was pitch black and the page body of any website I tried was pure white, like nothing loaded. So it either uses overlays, or that was just a temporary oddity.
    (Dead server) :: Angra Mainyu : Ahura Mazda : Arbalest : Fischerspooner :: PSUpedia & Forums

funny thing, i heard about chrome last night. My new laptop arrived this morning. If I'm going to adapt to vista, might as well try a new browser. Its from Google, so it has to be good. I'm liking it so far. My only qualm is that the download manager is pseudo internal, so it was a little weird. After downloads finished, the whole thing would disappear. I'm starting to adapt to CtrlT, CtrlJ to pull it up. And personally, I like the tabs being above the thing

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Don't assume its good because its from Google. They make a lot of garbage too. I'll try it out for a few days. It depends on how the javascript handling is...seems to separate the men from the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkommando View Post
    Rather than a single hierarchal process, each plug-in, tab, and tool (such as Java) is given its own process. Thus, if a plug-in crashes or even a tab, the browser is designed not to crash and continue to function. (We'll see how that plays out) Also, because of this, you can see which plug-ins are hogging the most memory and resources (in a tab type about:memory to get the in depth processes, or click the control menu and choose Task Manager under Developer for a small pop-up window with less information).
    THIS.

If they can pull that thing off and pull it well, they'll be winners. More programs should be made this way - I remember the days of Windows 95 where crashing Internet Explorer meant your entire desktop exploded. I don't want that sort of thing to happen again.

Hell, even when Firefox crashes, despite the session save feature, I'm still annoyed when it happens.

trying it now, was on firefox 3. And... already the speed difference is noticeable for me, it's faster. I like the idea of having the URL in the tabs, because I'd often forget to open a new tab before hitting enter on my URL box, now I have to open a tab. The basic interface is fine, very plain and simple (I HATE toolbars) though not my choice of colors. Have to mess with it tomorrow though.

I'll consider it when it achieves the level of add-ons Firefox has. I'm not switching to anything that doesn't have Adblock and NoScript.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

In other news, an independent research firm has determined that IE8 Beta is more resource intensive than Windows XP. I laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    In other news, an independent research firm has determined that IE8 Beta is more resource intensive than Windows XP. I laughed.
    Office went that way, may as well make IE resource-intensive to a retarded level too.

Its a little confusing at first, but I can imagine switching to it.

The only thing that seems to be missing is the ability to click down your scroll wheel to scroll down pages without turning the goddamn wheel, if anyone knows what I mean. Maybe my mouse is fucked up though.