Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Is This Gonna Be Hackable Online?

How hackable is DS?

Come on. You know better than to ask something like that.

Edit: However, I suppose if some good comes of this, there should be no problem. Keep this clean.

Hunters Guild Group
    Alex - BrHu | Satsuki - RaGu | Keiko - SuTe

Now that you mention it, I wonder what kind of countermeasure they would use to stop people from simply booting up an AR on the thing, hopefully they'll have thought of something by release time.

Well, unless they figure out how to do another type of NOL hack or PKing, I don't see this game having too much of a problem with hacking. Maybe money hacks or weapon hacks, but other than that, there's not much one can do on a co-op game to mess with other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin_Cooper View Post
    Now that you mention it, I wonder what kind of countermeasure they would use to stop people from simply booting up an AR on the thing, hopefully they'll have thought of something by release time.
    Sadly I doubt it, judging by what happens in other DS games. There's also a Gameshark unit for the DS too.

Now if you want more detail... the only DS game I know of where hacking done by an outsider can cause damage to your game is with Animal Crossing Wild World. For example, too many items and structures placed in your town causes the game to stop loading. The only sure fire way to fix it is to edit your save file and clean up the map data. If you're lucky you can also turn the DS clock back to before the incident happened, see if the game loads, and remake your town. That isn't the kind of game I play with strangers anyways, and it definitely isn't encouraged seeing as there's no built in random player matching, so that hasn't affected me at all.

Mario Kart DS's hacking sounded like it was mostly people playing stages that weren't normally playable in online mode, and various things used to win races unfairly, like infinite items, etc. I don't own that game though, so I don't know the full extent of it.

And of course, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl has a ton of hacked Pokemon floating around in the GTS. But if you open your own trade offer rather than searching for an existing trade offer, you're more likely to get the real deal. Or at least something that isn't so obviously hacked, like a level 100 shiny in a Master Ball... I haven't gotten anything shady looking, and even if I did, it's not like it'd ruin the game. You can simply release them if it bothers you.

I still also play Tetris DS online time to time, and while I have seen videos of people cheating on Youtube (infinte line blocks) I've yet to encounter any during random games with strangers.

With the lesser known games, I haven't heard or seen a single peep about online hacking. So it's not like it's a Nintendo Wifi Connection-wide problem. It seems like people only care to do weird stuff in the popular games.

So yeah, in the end I'm sure PS0 will have cheating. Hopefully it isn't widespread or dangerous. D;
    Last edited by Evila; Oct 1, 2008 at 06:08 PM.

I hate nintendo

Quote Originally Posted by deso123 View Post
    I hate nintendo
    Nintendo doesn't make, nor do they officially support using such devices, and the DS is hardly the only platform that's had this sort of thing made for it, I have a gameshark disc for PS2, as well as a dreamcast one sitting in my room somewhere as a case in point. Unless that isn't why you hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsock View Post
    That's a very noobish thing to say.
    I snickered when I read that then I saw his name was handsock so I lol'd.

I really hope something happens in order to kill cheating.
    One of the things that made PSO vanish was the exscesive usage of hacking.