Default Home...Animal Crossing...

Since PS3 is coming out with HOME, and nintendo has its animal crossing...

I wonder what the 360 will have in store for us... hopefully not something to the extend of using the avatars....

maybe we should get second life for the 360?! lol any ideas wether or not microsoft would ever create or have someone create such a thing?

WoW on 360?
    it'd be a riot.
    「愛と空の女王様」を言でもいい。 We are Heroes. This is what we do!

Quote Originally Posted by rena-ko View Post
    WoW on 360?
    it'd be a riot.
    I remember seeing something about Microsoft approaching Blizzard with this idea, way back when.

In the end, Blizzard refused, citing that it's really something you need a keyboard to play. Trying to cram something like WoW onto an Xbox 360 controller just seems to be asking for trouble (though it has been done on PC). Things like Final Fantasy XI work because they were designed around the idea of being used with a controller, and actually work very well as a result.

As for the Home and Animal Crossing thing (because those two are totally related somehow)... We'll see. Microsoft pretty much has it nailed down for the whole community and personalization thing already, and they'll probably just expand on that more, somehow... And yes, it'll probably use Avatars.

That's not a bad thing, though.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    I remember seeing something about Microsoft approaching Blizzard with this idea, way back when.

In the end, Blizzard refused, citing that it's really something you need a keyboard to play. Trying to cram something like WoW onto an Xbox 360 controller just seems to be asking for trouble (though it has been done on PC). Things like Final Fantasy XI work because they were designed around the idea of being used with a controller, and actually work very well as a result.

As for the Home and Animal Crossing thing (because those two are totally related somehow)... We'll see. Microsoft pretty much has it nailed down for the whole community and personalization thing already, and they'll probably just expand on that more, somehow... And yes, it'll probably use Avatars.

even though the generic player wont really understand why, the xbox has at least two usb ports for mouse and kb. it could be done - ship it with a kb+mouse or a coupon and youre set.
    「愛と空の女王様」を言でもいい。 We are Heroes. This is what we do!

I'm sure they could try and come up with something interesting involving the chatpad - assuming games would be able to start using it for their own in-game uses (since it's incompatible with FFXI and PSU, to my knowledge). Then again, it is rather curious that there aren't any functions for accessing it via the XDK, last I heard...

But then again, holding an Xbox 360 controller with a chatpad connected, and trying to visualize how WoW would be played on such a thing is slightly problematic - it's safe to say that, much like the Jaguar controller's numberpad, it's just not suited to actual gaming.

The idea of a keyboard and mouse for an Xbox 360 version of the game is certainly one solution, but I don't doubt that it would be mandatory that the game would have to be fully-functional with a standard Xbox 360 controller, making the keyboard/mouse solution more of a workaround than something that addresses the actual issue. Considering all of these things, I can really see why Blizzard would decide against it.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post

I say Home and Animal crossing because Sony's approach to kill Second life, and Animal crossing is nintendo's own version of a community game. we all know Nintendo LOVES to do everything differently.

but I figure microsoft should have something that isn't incorporated into the dashboard, something that is standalone *wether it is a arcade download* or an actual published game... I was just thinking second life cause that would be totally cool. that program is so addicting. yes it is a program not a game.

although WOW on the 360 would be the bomb... FF was able to due it, and that thing is freakin massiv, although I do see one HUGE drawback... hardrive space... those of use who still have the 20gig hard drives would be SOL on space for WOW... lol and I don't feel like shelling out 150 for 120 gig hard drive... I want just the 60 but I can't find it for sale anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by ngagerebel View Post
    I say Home and Animal crossing because Sony's approach to kill Second life, and Animal crossing is nintendo's own version of a community game. we all know Nintendo LOVES to do everything differently.

but I figure microsoft should have something that isn't incorporated into the dashboard, something that is standalone *wether it is a arcade download* or an actual published game... I was just thinking second life cause that would be totally cool. that program is so addicting. yes it is a program not a game.

although WOW on the 360 would be the bomb... FF was able to due it, and that thing is freakin massiv, although I do see one HUGE drawback... hardrive space... those of use who still have the 20gig hard drives would be SOL on space for WOW... lol and I don't feel like shelling out 150 for 120 gig hard drive... I want just the 60 but I can't find it for sale anywhere...
    ...Home isn't going to kill Second Life any time soon. The two things are just too drastically different... That, and the PS3 install base is comparatively minor when you look at Second Life.

If Microsoft did try to do some sort of massive community thing, it'd probably be integrated into the dashboard - however, their focus seems to be leaning more toward emphasizing smaller groups of friends in Parties currently.

For WoW, the size isn't the problem - Final Fantasy XI and all of its expansions are still larger than World of Warcraft and its expansions... But, granted, the former has twice as many expansions as the latter - like I mentioned, the main issue I see with it, as well as that cited by Blizzard, is a matter of interface. I do agree that the Xbox 360 needs a new console-based MMO, however, preferrably one that caters to people other than the hardest of the hardcore (i.e. something other than FFXI).

Conversely, a new, fun, and innovative online action-RPG that's specifically-tailored to the system and with regular content updates would be pretty great, too. >_>

I wouldn't be surprised if something came out like that for the 360. I really like games like that (big fan of the first The Sims here) and a lot of other people do too, and Microsoft seems to be reaching out to more genres anyway.
    Last edited by Kylie; Nov 22, 2008 at 12:31 AM.

PSO2: Kylie.HUnewearl.Sh02

well Champions Online is coming in the Spring. that's technically an mmorpg.

as for using NXE avatars in a "Sims" type of enviornment, it would need beamy lasers and
    super sailor moon transformations.

but hey, if you want something like that now, just play the PSU demo, the online servers for the demo are free, limited, but still much better than kingdom of keflings. plus PSU demo gives you a customizable apartment!