Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Exclamation Risk in installing Xbox360 games?

"Playing installed games after the NXE increases your chances of rrod. The fan runs slower on installed games which gives you a higher chance of rrod. You're almost guaranteed rrod on a launch console when playing an installed game. "

AAAAAAAAAAAH! I read this from some knowledgeable gamers!!! I should of read this before
    installing L4D!! >__________<

Ya there is no proof but I strongly believe it's no coincedence my xbox360 RROD 1 day after installing a game on thursday.

and I do notice it's quieter (hence, the fan running slower.) O____________________O

darn it! darn it darn it! all I can do is warn people. now I gotta buy a new one (thankfully
    the cheapest are without HDD are currently around 150-200. )

If true, then wow, how could MS let such a flaw slip by? They were testing the NXE for months after it was completed....

I never really payed much attention to the fan activity while running a game off the HDD, but if it's true there are simple workarounds, like wiring the fans directly to a 12V rail, if need be. But I remember hearing MS can detect these slight power activity changes and issue Xbox Live bans. (not completely sure on this one)

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

Your source isn't credible enough, even in this internet message board world, to get that out of the way 1st and foremost, so it won't be repeated further down this topic with new replies in more harsh manner.

You can build a better case for this with links to feedback from other boards-as this is internet message board world with easy access to finding more info, help/tech support, Xbox official, etc, with people whom also believe this to happen and the what and why. As it is now, "Your friend" the stereotype is only one case. Yours believing the friend and trying to tie it back to your experiences is not as ingrained in fact to be case 2 either. And still 2 cases. DON'T OVERREACT NOW & SCARE PEOPLE BCUZ AHHHH@!!!

Otherwise this doesn't need such a WARNING label on the topic title and you could otherwise have updated your NXE thread on this same page 1, new post to bump, edit up the Original post.

Please take this info into account to clean up your topic title and opening post for the next time, thanks for the time.

seriously. the noise reduction comes solely from the drive not spinning up all the time.
    the normal case fans still work. and whatcha think - there were xbox orginials and arcade games playable from drive for ages now.
    given, those werent as graphically intense as some 360 games are, but really, you think they'd miss this?
    「愛と空の女王様」を言でもいい。 We are Heroes. This is what we do!

Saner, don't make up things like this in an effort to get people to panic, just because it coincidentally happened on your end. Look into things before making your claims.
    Quote Originally Posted by rena-ko View Post
    seriously. the noise reduction comes solely from the drive not spinning up all the time.
    the normal case fans still work. and whatcha think - there were xbox orginials and arcade games playable from drive for ages now.
    given, those werent as graphically intense as some 360 games are, but really, you think they'd miss this?
    This is the correct answer.

/thread

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Do you sincerely think the fan just shuts off when you install a game? The noise (like Rena-ko said) is from the disc drive. Hell, if this were true just sitting in your Dashboard would kill the console.

Bad luck on your part. Don't start ridiculous rumors because your 360 died.
    Last edited by McLaughlin; Nov 22, 2008 at 10:49 AM.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian_Knight View Post
    Do you sincerely think the fan just shuts off when you install a game? The noise (like Rena-ko said) is from the disc drive. Hell, if this were true just sitting in your Dashboard would kill the console.

it isn't said that the fan shuts off, that it runs slower, that's why people don't notice the
    difference since its quieter than the disc drive.

I still don't feel its a coincedence and its better safe than sorry, but if you play disk games off
    the harddrive and it happens, well don't say you weren't warned.

Customary AWESOME Title Solstis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saner View Post
    it isn't said that the fan shuts off, that it runs slower, that's why people don't notice the
    difference since its quieter than the disc drive.

I still don't feel its a coincedence and its better safe than sorry, but if you play disk games off
    the harddrive and it happens, well don't say you weren't warned.
    I see no credible or logical reason for that to be more than just a conspiracy theory.

The fans run slower because the console is running cooler, thanks to no disk spinning. If your system RRODs now, it's because it was either on the brink of doing it, or you don't have good ventilation for your system.

John Cena ain't got me ThePainMaker's Avatar

That really has to suck if it happens to you.
    if it happens to some one you cant stand then its halarious