Thread: DS Screen Guard

Default DS Screen Guard

With my recent acquisition of an R4 card, I have been using my DS much, much more regularly, and I've already noticed some visible scuffs on my lower screen...or, rather, my lower screen's screen guard that I installed ages ago. My top screen is still unprotected.

This brings me to my question: what's the best kind of screen guard one can acquire for the DS? I'd like something that isn't permanent, but is durable, easy-to-apply (and remove, if need be), and reasonably priced. Any ideas?

On a similar topic, I'm using the stylus that came with my DS Lite. Are these types of styluses known for causing scratches, or was I just pressing too hard? I do play The World Ends with You pretty...vigorously.

There are films that you can put over the screen, but I'm not sure is there is anything better.
    The soon-to-be Steel-type Gym Leader of Ace Trainers United, FC will come along soon.

Well, yes, I'm aware of these. I was wondering if one brand in particular was known for being especially effective at deterring scratches.

A yard of thin clear vinyl.
    I use it. You just need to clean the screen first, then place the vinyl over the screen, cut the vinyl to fit, and you have to press any air bubbles you may get when applying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    A yard of thin clear vinyl.
    I use it. You just need to clean the screen first, then place the vinyl over the screen, cut the vinyl to fit, and you have to press any air bubbles you may get when applying it.
    This sounds like a pretty good idea. Is there any sort of particular thickness I can look for, or that you would recommend in particular?

I get it as thin as possible, you don't need a thick layer.

Screen protectors are pretty much identical, for the most part. They're effective, as long as you can apply it properly. Make sure you wipe the screen clean and completely dirt free before you apply it. You do -not- want any bubbles when applying a screen protector. That said, I use Hori's screen protector for my Lite. It comes with a cleaning cloth, and is cleverly designed with tabs on both side to apply it easily. Honestly, I can't stress this enough, clean your screen before sticking a protector. Scotch tape it up, then wipe it clean.

Edit: I don't think they have thickness, all screen protectors are just.. there. You can look online to compare thicknesses of a few brands, but it's usually not listed as part of specifications, so I doubt it matters.
    Last edited by Firocket1690; Dec 31, 2008 at 03:02 AM.

& stirring up controversy
    Lake WorthLESS, FLO-RIDA, IN DAH GHETTO CUZ I'M A GANGSTUH

When I got the DS lite around the time it came out, I made sure I put screen protectors on it before I even turned it on. Same thing for my 2nd one to. Cuz my 1st one broke.
    If you can even find these, theres a Nintendo Brand of Screen protectors that come with a stylus. I wouldn't use the cheap ass Gamestop/EB brand $5 screen protectors because they seem a bit dimmer, scratch easier and the scratches almost always show when in a glare. Expect to spend at least 15$ or more on decent screen protectors.