Default ''The Making of Phantasy Star IV' (EGM, 1993)

part 1

part 2

Last edited by camineet; Jan 7, 2009 at 05:38 PM.

The Artist Formerly Known As... Something Else SammaeltheDark's Avatar

Wow. I've never seen this article before. Nothing really stand-out in part one other than how different their idea for Rika/Fal was (and yet the character design didn't change at all)

Image links to part 2 are broken

That is an awesome drawing of Falz. And omg Rika is cuuuuuuuute <3

Quote Originally Posted by SammaeltheDark View Post
    Wow. I've never seen this article before. Nothing really stand-out in part one other than how different their idea for Rika/Fal was (and yet the character design didn't change at all)
    I remember being very excited when EGM announced in the December 1992 issue that they'd have this Making of PSIV article the following month, and they did, but part 2 did not show up in the Feb 1993 issue, it came a few months later, May 1993.

Image links to part 2 are broken

Fixed.

This is the first-ever full english preview, from the August 1992 issue of EGM.

Note all the screens appear to be Mega Drive / Genesis cinema screenshots, not just concept artwork, which were not in the final game.

Geez, those old names XD Though I actually do like Leila better than Alys.

Hey an article with two of my favorite things, Phantasy Star and EGMs incompetence.

For the guy that was talking about changing Fal/Rika's character concept, this is incorrect. They have her mistakenly named as Saei Uorushu (which is such a laughably bad translation of スレイ・ウォルシュ Thray Walsh, Rune Walsh in English release) who is obviously the mystic that uses powerful spells. As all "Star players" know, Reiko Kodama is infallible. Thus EGM is the one responsible for the bad interpretation / translation.

Equally laughable but no less sad is the second posted, well first published, article highlighting the return of Nei and Wren. I mean fuck, did they even play PS2 to know how absurd saying that is? Even a mild familiarity with the color of Nei's hair? A tenuous grasp on the color spectrum to spot the difference in Red and Purple hair?

Finally Rudy and Lyla aren't "old names" so much as they are the JP names.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane though. It's amazing how bad magazines were in the early years. Such Juvenile, boring writing with nothing of substance.

I was just going to say that it looks like they mixed pictures with names/races. Still pretty interesting though.

The Artist Formerly Known As... Something Else SammaeltheDark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ceresa View Post
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane though. It's amazing how bad magazines were in the early years. Such Juvenile, boring writing with nothing of substance.
    Considering in the modern age most information, reviews, FAQs now come from 13 year olds on the internet... I don't see much of a change
    At least the magazines had production values

EDIT: wow, and I just read that EGM is closing their doors
    Last edited by SammaeltheDark; Jan 8, 2009 at 12:44 PM.