Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Weak Players: Seriously, they suck.

It's happened to the best of players: a powerful player starts up a random game to hopefully draw in some players after soloing for a while, in hopes of earning a better clear time. Then a few significantly weaker players join and slow the party down, leeching off the strongest player(s) in the party. And it is leeching. The less you lower the clear time in a party, the more you are leeching. Unfortunately, however, it becomes difficult for the stronger player to break the ice to the weaker player, because the weaker player comes off saying irrational things like "But it looks cool!", "That's my character's theme, and she has to be like she is in the RP", or my favorite "You're an annoying elitist and you have no life!".

When I played PSO, I ran into several players who refused to use Charge Vulcans because "they're cheap". Well, excuse me for using a "cheap" weapon that actually costs money to use, idiot. This leads me to an advantage of PSO: no booting system. Joining parties and obliterating monsters with my HUcast using Charge weaponry, Vjaya, and being self-reliant on my own S-Red's Shifta was the highlight of my gameplay experience because there was nothing they could do to stop me. For added pleasure, I lured mobs closer to pathetic players to watch them get GANGRAPEDHARD.

Now, because there are boot functions, they play on emotion and hide under the guise of friendship. They talk about a certain item they desire, yet can't afford; all they need to do is improve their play style in order to increase the amount of Meseta made each hour (MPH?). Once they strive for the best, all these things can come to fruition. Too bad it's denied out of ignorance and willingness to create personal rules that hinder character growth. For their sake, I hope their friends are very generous with giveaways, because lord knows they don't deserve them!

Elitism brings about efficiency in all areas of life. Elitism is good because it is expertise. In case you haven't noticed, people appreciate expertise in any particular field. Efficient players are far more scarce than horrid ones, thereby making them more interesting people.

Quote Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
    When I played PSO, I ran into several players who refused to use Charge Vulcans because "they're cheap". Well, excuse me for using a "cheap" weapon that actually costs money to use, idiot. This leads me to an advantage of PSO: no booting system. Joining parties and obliterating monsters with my HUcast using Charge weaponry, Vjaya, and being self-reliant on my own S-Red's Shifta was the highlight of my gameplay experience because there was nothing they could do to stop me. For added pleasure, I lured mobs closer to pathetic players to watch them get GANGRAPEDHARD.
    LOL AO!! A++ 10/10
    Life's a bitch and then you die.

Thanks, heh.

I have to be somewhat appreciative of horrible players, otherwise I wouldn't be able to sell garbage like [B]Kubiri-hiken for so much...

Now this is a mirror rant to the other topic but bottom line for me is that this is a game and you can play however you want and so can they.

Put a comment saying elitists only or something.
    I'm straight, so what?

Quote Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
    Elitism brings about efficiency in all areas of life. Elitism is good because it is expertise. In case you haven't noticed, people appreciate expertise in any particular field. Efficient players are far more scarce than horrid ones, thereby making them more interesting people.
    Not only are those ridiculously broad strokes, but uh, elitism does not automatically equal expertise.

You could be an elitist and be terrible at a game. Elitism is a matter of exclusion, not of experience.

Plus, shouldn't this be merged with the other topic or something along those lines? Why would we have competing rants?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkly View Post
    Now this is a mirror rant to the other topic but bottom line for me is that this is a game and you can play however you want and so can they.
    I understand that people should play how they want, but the problem arises when inferior players bring that trash into parties that want to do better.
    Put a comment saying elitists only or something.
    Would that be a nice thing to do? I don't recall seeing a comment in the other topic.
    You could be an elitist and be terrible at a game.
    If anything, at least being in the right mentality is much better than refusing to change one's ways. The idea is to strive for improvement, not to fail. I'd much rather help someone who genuinely wants to improve.
    Plus, shouldn't this be merged with the other topic or something along those lines?
    It could, but this seemed fair too. Why let the other OP take all the credit?
    Why would we have competing rants?
    Because I decided to create this topic! HURRRRRRR ^_^
    Last edited by Aorre; Jan 14, 2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: KILLD QUOTE TAG LOL

inb4shitstorm

Unfortunately, I'm going to sound like every sap who comes in here by saying that people can play however they want to. However, I agree with you to a certain extent about players who use absolutely terrible gear and contribute nothing to the party can be a little annoying. The absolute worse kind are the PA levelers who use same element bullets, technics, or spreading skills (Jabroga, Tordano Dance, etc). If they're actually under-leveled and die continuously then perhaps it's just not the right level for them and I'd probably tell them that they'd be better off playing a lower level but I won't go as far as to boot them. But just because they slowed down you're clear time? That's a bit much.

ITT: Another Reason why I solo, most of the time I get annoyed if I don't know the person in my party and they are uneccessarily weak, or getting lost in Crater, or The routes of Ep4, and I also get annoyed at the elitist know it alls that join and just think they have to tell me everything statistical wise about the damn game, that I know already, So more than likely I'm the only one I can tolerate.
    Life's a bitch and then you die.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

I appreciate your...enthusiasm, but there is really no need for that. Not everyone can achieve such ethereal levels of awesome as you have, nor do they have the desire. Instead of mocking them, try to help them. If they don't want your help, leave and run with your friends, assuming you can keep any around with that attitude.

How do I had fun at game?

There are the elites. Those are the people who have gotten as far in the game as possible, have optimized their build for efficient runs, obtained all the valuable equipment, and know how to play the game very well. Those are good. You need skilled players in a game, otherwise people don't know what the fuck they're doing.

There are the elitists. These aren't necessarily elites, and they don't necessarily need to know what they're doing or talking about. They're just people who think the best is the only, and the point of the game is to be better than the next person, and completely reject those who are playing for any reason other than to be the best. It's never "That weapon sucks", it's "You suck for using that weapon."

There's a difference between promoting being a good player and condemning being a bad one. Encouraging people to get better is fine. Discouraging people who have no desire to is annoying. Elitism doesn't help people, really. If the bad players bother you so much, then leave, go solo, and look for a new party or solo forever if no one is as good as you.

Now it's different if you tell them that you're aiming for speed runs and they continue to be a nuisance and slow things down. But I either missed that part of the rant or it wasn't there. :<
    Last edited by Tessu; Jan 14, 2009 at 06:35 PM.