Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I'm on the fence in this one.

People who strive to be better than average, and people who strive to just have fun: Both cater to the different types people that play PSU. Teamwork and recreation are both emphasized with either viewpoint.

Elitism is just another one of those words that just gets tossed around whenever somebody is speaking to another person s/he doesn't like, and has lost all meaning once it was thrust upon the shithole that is the Internet. Honestly, there are only assholes, and people pretending to be assholes (typically people that label themselves as elitists, but in the end, amount to no better than your average player anyway). And it exists on both sides of the fence. Neither just don't care very much to admit it. :P

In any case, it's not as if I disagree with many of the points given.
    Last edited by AweOfShe; Jan 14, 2009 at 09:33 PM.

That seems to make sense.
    Remembering the Universe. Click below!

Quote Originally Posted by Aisha379 View Post
    This may be hard for you to understand, Boogazuma, but unlike your flat-out admittance before, some people don't have either the time or desire to play PSU all day! *gasp*
    someone who doesnt have that much time can still have the desire to improve. btw, psu is very casual friendly. you can raise a decent character in a short time. i just bought a full set of 42% spears for a little over 100m total. compare that to a full set of 50% +10s and it could easily be 50 times that. the power difference between the 2 sets of spears isnt that huge.

anyway, if someone sucks at something b/c they dont put in the time to get good at it, then they suck at it, b/c they dont put in the time to get good at it. pretty simple.

ive only played a little bit of baseball in my life. it would be nice to be a pro and make tons of money but i just dont have the time or desire to work hard at it. is it incorrect to say that i suck at baseball?

it must be interesting to view a world w/ nothing bad in it. in aisha's eyes, there is no "wrong" or "bad" in this world. everyone is good at everything.
    Quit PSO2

As I mentioned before, there will always be someone or something that will always get one's way that disrupts their balance. In this case, one's way of playing. Describing Aisha's point of view Inazuma, doesn't so different from your point about people playing by the set rules of the game, instead of their own. They should all come to one conformity(hoping that's the right word) right? But the human mind isn't like that. As much as we wish to not be involved in the bad things.
    Last edited by Tyreek; Jan 14, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
    Remembering the Universe. Click below!

ive only played a little bit of baseball in my life. it would be nice to be a pro and make tons of money but i just dont have the time or desire to work hard at it. is it incorrect to say that i suck at baseball?
    No. It is, however, incorrect to say that the pros in the MLB enjoy playing more than the kids dicking around in the playground.

Why is there even conflict between elitists and casual players? Did I miss something here? If you strive to be BEST PLAYER EVAR and want to brag about your....meseta per second ratio or whatever, then find friends that share similar goals and give you a competitive interest, and leave it at that. If you're a casual player, do the same--just with people that are merely playing the game for fun.

If you go into a random party and are pissed off by how someone's playing, you have no right to complain because it's a random party. It is your obligation to accept what you are going into. It's about as stupid as walking in the middle of an Islam worship service and saying the Gregorian Chant. Don't disrespect others just because their way of life is different than yours.

Either learn to co-exist or agree to disagree and leave eachother the *fuck alone*. I'm tired of these threads. Was it not mentioned that PSU is a team game? Find friends with similar interests and stick with them if random parties piss you off that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaeris View Post
    No. It is, however, incorrect to say that the pros in the MLB enjoy playing more than the kids dicking around in the playground.
    i disagree w/ you there. i bet the baseball pros are having much more fun than the kids.

wouldnt you love to do well in a pro baseball match, go home w/ millions of dollars, and then have sex w/ a perfect 10?
    Quit PSO2

Sure. I don't see what that has to do with the discussion though, seeing as I can rather safely say no one here gets paid millions or beds supermodels for playing PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Inazuma View Post
    i disagree w/ you there. i bet the baseball pros are having much more fun than the kids.

wouldnt you love to do well in a pro baseball match, go home w/ millions of dollars, and then have sex w/ a perfect 10?
    See, this is your eternal misconception I've picked up about you from your post, not everyone strives for the exact same goals. Some people that pick up baseball aspire for fame and fortune, being seen on TV, having access to whatever chick they want their hands on. But not every kid that picks up a baseball bat necessarily wants to make a professional career out of it. Why can't someone aspire to be a police officer or a firefighter and join a little company baseball league? Imagine if every kid that ever shot a basketball wanted to play in the NBA. The draft would be completely, unbelievably swamped, agents wouldn't be able to keep up with anyone because there'd be 6th and 7th-string college players, and you certainly wouldn't see many working professions around because everyone would be too busy training for basketball. Clearly this isn't the case, so obviously, not everyone wants to "go pro" at everything in life.

"Fun" is at most relative to the individual, not a societal norm. Some people enjoy playing PSU with their fellow casual friends, just having fun, knowing that they don't have to be the best at everything to have a good time. Others see PSU as an opportunity to max out as much as possible and are driven by the competitive aspect. Nothing is wrong with either approach, but what IS wrong is when one group tries to impose their will on the other, saying that their way is the only way. It's how wars start and it's what holds us back as a species; our inability to just accept one another for who they are.

You have fun in your way, others will have fun in theirs. It's important that we all just accept that and move on.

Actually Elitism leads to being an ass hole. If you haven't noticed, how many elitists are nice to anyone "below" them? Hm? I would say about none. Let alone being elitist probably means that you don't actually care about the thing your trying to be elite at, but rather for the bragging rights and increasing your own self worth to show off.

But I do agree with you on the leeching part. Sometimes people really don't do anything to help a party and they are better off playing with people who are at their own level. Such as if I go to do Scarred Planet S2 in hopes of finding a Kaos Knight, I don't want someone hunting it with me who is going like 500-1000 damage a combo. >.>; Sure it might help them do more damage, or get better weapons, but we all had to be at that point too.
    "Blade" M Beast Fighmaster of "Ten Star V" from Xbox 360 PSU.

http://www.youtube.com/user/xBladeM6x