Default Network Lag/Disconnect Errors in PSU

Since about 1-2 weeks ago, I've started experiencing a lot of network lag in PSU, and am consequently getting Disconnect errors (usually Error 57) almost every night. It's now rare I can do one mission without huge spikes of lag and/or disconnects.

Things I've done so far:
    - Powercycled my router
    - Turned off my router for an extended period of time
    - Bought a new wireless adapter (since this old one wasn't verified to work correctly with Vista. The new one however is, and while my connection speed outside of PSU has sped up, I still get lag spikes in the game)
    - Made sure my router has the latest firmware
    - Forwarded the correct ports for PSU
    - Made sure my antivirus software isn't interfering

Is there anything else I can do to try and fix this? I'm running Vista Home Premium on a 8Mb broadband connection, and PSU only started disconnecting/lagging so much within the last 2 weeks. I haven't touched my network connection (aside from the router settings since I started lagging), so I don't think I'm at fault.

Anything anybody could suggest would be great- if you need any additional information, just ask and I'll try and let you know.

Thanks.

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)

Best hide your food when I'm around! Mystic_Nessly's Avatar

There are two things I think that may be the issue. Distance and or conflicting wireless electronics.

-D-I-S-T-A-N-C-E-
    In the past two weeks have you moved your computer or router? Maybe the distance between the router and the wireless adapter on your computer is too great. I've experienced a similar issue on my computer when I placed my computer downstairs during the summer (my room would heat up my room quickly with the computer running).

I had the router positioned upstairs and was wirelessly connected. It was then when I started noticing "lag spikes" as you mentioned. The other players I played with would occasionally freeze and then suddenly move all across the room in a rapid few seconds followed by an onslought of chat bubbles that they spoke when the lag spike occurred. I never experienced these lag spikes when I was connected to the router through a physical connection.

Another point which makes me believe that distance betwen the router and wireless card is the problem is that my brother's computer was positioned in a room just one door down from where the router was positioned. He had no issues with lag spikes on PSU when he was connected wirelessly.

So, what I would suggest is moving your computer closer to your router and see if that helps.

-C-H-A-N-N-E-L-S-
    Have you recently installed wireless telephones in your home (or any other wireless devices)? IF so, they may be conflicting with your wireless router. I've read that wireless devices which use the same "channel" can cause problems. You may want to look in to changing the channel your router uses (It may even be a neigbor with a new wireless device that's causing the problem).

I hope my limited experience helps in solving your problem. I know how frustrating it was playing w/ those lag spikes.

I haven't moved my router, wireless adapters or computer for a few months, so I don't think distance is the problem. As for channels, I know my house doesn't have any new wireless phones (we do have them, but I made sure they're operating on a different channel to the router). Anyway, I changed the router's channel again, so I'll see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the idea.

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)