Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Split View Post
    you should get rid of the floyd rose altogether, it's really not worth having
    @Split: Wrong answer. If someone what's a whammy bar that's their call and their preference. I don't like Floyd Roses myself because of the setup issues and the fact they're too extreme (I use a Bigsby) but they aren't useless.

@OP: If you want to lock your Floyd down you can do the block approach that Hypercute suggested or, if you Floyd isn't floating, you can add more tension springs. Personally, I like adding extra tension springs.

Also, if you change tunings a lot stop it. Seriously. You'll learn a shit ton more if look into other songs and playing styles. Just about anything drop tuned is generic, watered-down garbage with no musical quality whatsoever. There's a reason why nearly every famous guitarist and band uses standard tunings. They're standard for a reason.

You CAN downtune a Floyd and that would let the bridge fall all the way back. If you use heavier strings to compensate it will ride back up. You'll need to unlock the neck in order to use the normal peg tuners. The tuners on the Floyd itself are used when its locked at the neck and only perform incredibly minor changes. Overall, if you want to play low tunings AND want a tremolo go buy a Steinberger.

But I have a question for you: why the Hell did you get a guitar with a Floyd Rose with the intention to change tunings? The Floyd Rose (especially the floater) is known to have some supreme tuning instability prior to proper setup. Setting a Floyd is actually the toughest part of owning one. Once it IS set it's good for a long time with use of only the fine tuning knobs. The problem is you want to change tunings on an instrument that was built the intent of setting, tuning once, and STAYING in tune until strings need to be replaced. Did you try to do research or even ask the salesmen at your local music store what the Floyd was for or did you just get this as a present because it looked pretty?

Professional Screw-up. 3---Hit---U's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlemen View Post
    @Split: Wrong answer. If someone what's a whammy bar that's their call and their preference. I don't like Floyd Roses myself because of the setup issues and the fact they're too extreme (I use a Bigsby) but they aren't useless.
    Agree with you

@OP: If you want to lock your Floyd down you can do the block approach that Hypercute suggested or, if you Floyd isn't floating, you can add more tension springs. Personally, I like adding extra tension springs.
    Bridge is floating, will add wood :P

Also, if you change tunings a lot stop it. Seriously. You'll learn a shit ton more if look into other songs and playing styles. Just about anything drop tuned is generic, watered-down garbage with no musical quality whatsoever. There's a reason why nearly every famous guitarist and band uses standard tunings. They're standard for a reason.
    I different styles of music... I use standard tuning alot for AC/DC, Sabbath, etc. Dropped tunings above C for metal (god I hate Slipknot) and even some other bands (Paramore is like drop C#). Plus, Slayer, Coheed and Cambria, and Rise Against use Eb standard a nice bit too.

You CAN downtune a Floyd and that would let the bridge fall all the way back. If you use heavier strings to compensate it will ride back up. You'll need to unlock the neck in order to use the normal peg tuners. The tuners on the Floyd itself are used when its locked at the neck and only perform incredibly minor changes. Overall, if you want to play low tunings AND want a tremolo go buy a Steinberger.
    I've heard it can cause the knife-edge to dull and, at low tunings, cause the bridge to pop out of the guitar. No thanks.

What's a Steinberger by the way?

But I have a question for you: why the Hell did you get a guitar with a Floyd Rose with the intention to change tunings? The Floyd Rose (especially the floater) is known to have some supreme tuning instability prior to proper setup. Setting a Floyd is actually the toughest part of owning one. Once it IS set it's good for a long time with use of only the fine tuning knobs. The problem is you want to change tunings on an instrument that was built the intent of setting, tuning once, and STAYING in tune until strings need to be replaced. Did you try to do research or even ask the salesmen at your local music store what the Floyd was for or did you just get this as a present because it looked pretty?
    I bought my guitar off the internet, so no I did not ask the salesman about the guitar. I DID indeed play the guitar before I bought it and I loved how it felt and stuff. The guitar also DID NOT come in a non-floyd version, so I couldn't get it without it. Finally, I got an amazing deal on the thing, so it's worth me blocking it.

He is liking the Coca~Cola

Personally, I'd keep your Floyd guitar tuned to standard Eb. A pal of mine does that and simply transposes songs that are played in standard E. This will help in the sense you can play both tunings, with some finagling. You could buy a capo as well but capos kind of suck. Save up and buy another guitar for drop tunings.

Also, Steinbergers are expensive guitars. Research will help you out but, in short, they have specialized capos built on the neck or have their patented Transtreme system which is a special Floyd Rose/Kahler fusion style super whammy bar that not only keep perfect tune and pitch but also allows you to drop your guitar's tuning a single or whole step.