Page 272 of 683 FirstFirst ... 172222262269270271272273274275282322372 ... LastLast
Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 6822

bashed my head falling from ice.
    Got a cool lump on the back of me head.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    Killing characters is not a good way to develop a story or to bring about change; it is merely an overused plot device that cheapens stories, especially in comic books.
    That's, uh... that's pretty much one of the only things Johns does.

I'm not really a fan of most of his work, mostly because he relies on shock value and trying to play to the old-school Silver Age fans who don't want anything permanently important to happen to the main cast of heroes in the DC Universe. He's a comic book fanboy who became a comic book writer, which, uh... turns out to not always be the best thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    That's, uh... that's pretty much one of the only things Johns does.

I'm not really a fan of most of his work, mostly because he relies on shock value and trying to play to the old-school Silver Age fans who don't want anything permanently important to happen to the main cast of heroes in the DC Universe. He's a comic book fanboy who became a comic book writer, which, uh... turns out to not always be the best thing.
    Yeah. Honestly, the only time when deaths are appropriate are when they are part of an overreaching story that has more of a pay off than "No one is safe/Who's next," like in most of the good issues of Detective that are actually Batman-as-detective stories. I don't have an overall problem with Johns; in fact, I've quite enjoyed the new volume of The Flash, putting aside my feelings of Wally being sidelined and the retconning of Barry's origin story, since the arcs were detective stories and had some good, albeit at times a bit predictable, twists. Although Manapul's art may skew my opinion to be more favorable about that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    Yeah. Honestly, the only time when deaths are appropriate are when they are part of an overreaching story that has more of a pay off than "No one is safe/Who's next," like in most of the good issues of Detective that are actually Batman-as-detective stories. I don't have an overall problem with Johns; in fact, I've quite enjoyed the new volume of The Flash, putting aside my feelings of Wally being sidelined and the retconning of Barry's origin story, since the arcs were detective stories and had some good, albeit at times a bit predictable, twists. Although Manapul's art may skew my opinion to be more favorable about that book.
    Yeah, I'm a little out of a date. I haven't read superhero comics regularly in over a year. Not surprised to hear that Wally's completely sidelined, though. Johns seems to love the heroes he grew up with and refuses to let them be out of the limelight, even if it's somebody like Hal Jordan, who is possibly the most boring character to ever come out of Boring City, the capital of Boredomia.

Looking back at all of the great friendships that I somehow managed to ruin in one way or another really makes me feel like shit. Makes me almost feel like I don't deserve the few friends I still have now. Hell, I probably don't. Maybe all my ex-friends from over the years were right, and I really am a toxic, unlikable creep.
    Last edited by BIG OLAF; May 28, 2011 at 02:52 AM. Reason: typo.

Knowing that peace will never be achieved.

So, here's my dad's logic.

- Playing video games on weekdays is bad because it distracts you and you won't be able to study for the rest of the day and you'll become an addict. (that's extreme but the distracting part is sort of true...sort of)
    - Playing video games when you have AP classes is bad because you'll get distracted. (okay, sure)
    - Playing video games when APs are over and you have the easy class final exams is bad because playing games damages your score. (...uh...)
    - Playing video games over the summer is bad because it eats up time you can totally prepare for classes that you totally know all the content to and can make study guides for already. Also, playing games makes you an addict. (uh, no)
    - Just because I was able to keep my GPA high when I still gamed quite a bit does not mean that I can retain my GPA now if I even so much as touch my PSP. My GPA being higher than before must definitely NOT be a result of me studying with my brother who's a grade higher. (...)
    - If I'm not studying, I'm playing games. It doesn't matter if it's talking with my friends on Skype, that's playing games to him. Watching TV is playing games to him. Taking a nap is playing games to him. Going out to hang out with my friends is playing games. This includes going on this forum because this forum is related to games so it's the same as playing games.
    - Logical reasoning against his above logic is worthless because he's my dad and I have to follow every single one of his orders.

So, two options. Ignore him and beat the shit out of him whenever he tries to get violent on me (again) or just sell off the game consoles. I'm tempted to do more than just smack him in the head with a baseball bat, though.

-Wayu
    Last edited by Outrider; May 28, 2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: nope

Still raining, seems like the rainy season has started early here this year.
    Which sucks because all the events such as festivals outside are ruined by it.
    ”うーぅす, おはよー!
    あたしはミカ!
    今日も一日がんばっていこーね!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayu View Post
    So, two options. Ignore him and beat the shit out of him whenever he tries to get violent on me (again) or just sell off the game consoles. I'm tempted to do more than just smack him in the head with a baseball bat, though.

-Wayu
    So its true. Video games (or lack thereof) lead to violence.

Fact is, he's right about them being distracting, although he is taking it overboard.

How about instead of selling the consoles, you give them to your brother and he can store them for you? That way the old man gets off your back and you still have a gaming sanctuary somewhere.
    Last edited by Outrider; May 28, 2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: nope nope
    Heeding the call of the Hunter in PSP2? Use this: Beginner's Guide to Hunter Domination

"You either die the hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

If he gave me coherent logic I'd take it, but the basis of all of his arguments on this topic is either "I think they're bad so no" or "I'm your dad so shut the fuck up".

-Wayu