Page 25 of 683 FirstFirst ... 15222324252627283575125525 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger-08 View Post
    The point of that wikipedia article was to provide a clear and simple basis of the concept, not a comprehensive argument as to why you should or shouldn't believe it. I'm not here to convert anyone, which would be a waste of time anyway, since the internet is typically populated by people with strong, conflicting opinions.

I guess the point of all of that was simply to state that there's a lot more to Christian beliefs than the typical troll acknowledges as they target Christianity as a whole. I'd be happy to have a discussion on it some time, but I'd rather do it when I'm not tired, and in a calm mood, which I'm not at the moment.

And yes, the Crusaders were a brand of terrorists. However, let's keep in mind that they were Catholics.
    I wasn't trolling Christianity, or any other religion.
    I just mentioned it because of my RL friend and his views.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

At least one good thing came out of this thread.

A Sinue post.

Once & forever Protranser Gunslinger-08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Volcompat321 View Post
    I wasn't trolling Christianity, or any other religion.
    I just mentioned it because of my RL friend and his views.
    Sorry if what I said came out as such an accusation. I simply was trying to refer to the things that generally get brought up in such... debates. Generalizing, if you will.

Ship 2 - Gatz

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    That movie was actually funded and produced by a religious group. It mixes science with pseudoscience in an attempt to obfuscate and misdirect the audience.

Popular Science Article

The human mind can explain god, even if we cannot conceptualize such a being. Think of it like this. You can fully conceptualize the length of a foot, or a meter, in your mind. You can even conceptualize a mile. Yet, try to conceptualize the distance between the Earth and Saturn. A distance so far that it takes light over an hour and ten minutes to reach after it passes Earth. (give or take depending on apogee or perigee of it's orbit) But yet, we can send probes there with virtual pinpoint accuracy.

The problem isn't that god is beyond our comprehension, but that god apparently has no evidence of it's existence and is uninterested in providing such evidence.

Which, by the way, Have you heard the good news? (Age of Reason)
    Okay, it wasn't a plug for the movie, I just really liked the quote and was giving due credit to it's source.

No the human mind cannot explain God, to explain means to make known in detail, since as you say we have no evidence to support Gods existence, how can it be rendered understandable? Maybe evidence has been provided and we're just looking in the wrong place. Things do exist in this universe beyond our perceptual abilities, until they don't (Hawking radiation comes to mind as a recent example of the hiding in plain sight phenomenon).

Personally I think its comparatively easier to form a concept of vast distance than attempt to explain God(which is impossible without facts). For instance the concept of solar distance can be easily understood by scaling down large objects. If the earth is a globe and the moon is a baseball Saturn is a football field away(not accurate measurements but you get the idea). Unfortunately bibles don't provide this jumping off point for conceptualizing God because they are not working from measurable facts.

Currently we can neither explain nor adequately conceptualize God. Understanding religion is not understanding God, as they are only loosely related(like the relationship of the vendor to the concert). This fact is what makes the search for scientific understanding imperative. It is our basic nature to desire knowledge, but it seems equally compulsory to believe in God/Gods. Eventually science will be forced to reconcile with God, and that will be the end of religion.

P.S. thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by Gibdozer View Post
    No the human mind cannot explain God, to explain means to make known in detail, since as you say we have no evidence to support Gods existence, how can it be rendered understandable?
    The same way we can explain how lightsabers and hyperdrives work.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    The same way we can explain how lightsabers and hyperdrives work.
    Space travel, cloning, and communicators all started out as science fiction, but today they are science facts. Never underestimate the ability of science and human ingenuity to prove the impossible!

We have lightsabers?

You didn't get the memo?

I hate how finding jobs can be near impossible in some areas. I got fired a while back and it seems no one is hiring at all.

People on Xbox Live who talk so much shit.

People on Live who are playing a team based game and are doing any of the following:

1.Teabagging---------Grow the hell up
    2. Not there-----------Then don't go in the match Retard
    3.No mic----------------This is annoying sometimes like in Halo 3 MLG
    4.Lag Switching-------This happened to me recently in Halo/Gears
    5.Other-----------------People killing you to pick up your weapon just to get an achievement, quitting out early and leaving your team before a game even starts ( if you lag out, that's okay), and there are probably more as well. I will add some later.
    Forget Backspacing, Delete that S***

That's why I play Rock Band, because for the most part they're occupied with whatever instrument they're playing, except for one of us to say, "Use overdrive", or "Help".

It's really fun to piss off loud/annoying kids in XBox Live though.